• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ashes Series 2009 (1 Viewer)

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I've been hugely impressed by Hauritz this match. I thought he was a poor excuse for a spinner, but he was the only slow bowler to get anything out of the pitch. This will feel like a win for England - they only took 6 wickets after all and we took 19.

Lentern

HSC
Don't know whether to feel annoyed that we couldn't put England away or sort of relived we didn't so the series suspense continues. Have to applaud a wonderful rearguuard innings by Collingwood, and good last wicket batting from Panesar and Anderson. They did what Gillespie and Kasper couldn't in 05. This is what test cricket is all about.
Well Harmison and Hoggard circa 2005 probably were bowling a bit better than North and Hauritz. I find it interesting the way that Collingwood has been praised(and rightfully so) but at Adelaide where he tried to do the same thing and was not out as the rest of England capitulated he was criticised for his style of batting. The team maketh the man it seems.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I've been hugely impressed by Hauritz this match. I thought he was a poor excuse for a spinner, but he was the only slow bowler to get anything out of the pitch. This will feel like a win for England - they only took 6 wickets after all and we took 19.
I have to agree. I was more meaning in the dying minutes of the match where he needed to produce something special, he was unable to do so. Will be good experience for him though.

I think his will definitely feel like a win for England, and almost feel like a loss for Aus given the position they were in when they had England 7 down.

All in all I would have really liked to see Aus win given their performance, but now England will take confidence from this draw into the next test. I hope they continue their fight.

newmz89

Beer
HSC
but then they may have got a larger lead. its really the rain that cost us in the end, and ponting keeping on sticking with johnson. wtf why not put on hilfenhaus.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
His captaincy has never been great. I don't blame him for the timing of the declaration, but he should have gone for a quick over North at the death- surely they had enough for a two over spell with the match on the line.

newmz89

Beer
HSC
yeah i agree, he declared at the right time. yeah needed a quick right at the death. scum tactics by the poms though, time wasting so obvious, they should only allow people out at drinks breaks or for genuine injuries.

Lentern

HSC
His captaincy has never been great. I don't blame him for the timing of the declaration, but he should have gone for a quick over North at the death- surely they had enough for a two over spell with the match on the line.
yeah I agree with that, this was the kind of stage where you just needed quick bowlers to fire it at the block hole and give the batsman no relief. North bowled way too many outside off.

newmz89

Beer
HSC
lol yeah we took 19 wickets, they took 6 for a test match. that is very very poor.

Lentern

HSC
Agree with whatshotbyserve, a real positive of this test is that its wide open and competition is increased, had England lost this test, it very likely could haver been another 5-0 whitewash.

For me Harmison needs to come back in because the poms don't look like taking a wicket frequently enough to take 20 wickets.
Well if you believe the press Monty will not play at Lords, either for Harmison or Onions. I'm a little dissapointed Ryan Sidebottom isn't playing, I'd heard he was a really robust battler sort of bowler and had really hoped to see him bowl some good spells. But he seems out of favour. I don't like Anderson, he has allways seemed to me a very insipid bowler and would like to see someone more forceful bowl.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I think in the cold light of day England will be relieved that they have dodged a bullet, but concerned at the apparent gulf in quality of the sides. I cannot see England winning a test in the series from that display, which means we will retain the Ashes. Harmison will play, maybe at the expense of Panesar (who batting heriocs may have masked his lack of bowling guile).

newmz89

Beer
HSC
Who will Australia drop do you think if we bring in Clark?

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
hmm true but apparently he[jimmy] 'is' in form and at Lords he probably will swing it. [thats his reputation] i rekon bring in harmison in place for pretty boy broad. It will always be good though to have one spinner since the poms don't really have any quality partimers.

And for gods sake bring back Clarke, his ranked 4th in ICC rankings for bowlers
If Australia thought they had the right side for game one I doubt much has convinced them they were wrong. Nineteen wickets on a deck like this is hardly going to convince the selectors they need to revamp the bowling attack before Lords.

I suspect with Broad there is a defensive mentality in play in that he's a bit of batting glue down the order. Would trade him for a Sidebottom though.

Roy9

HSC
Anyone but that useless cunt hilfenhaus. If they put him in we might as well just give them the runs and save the players.
Still think he's useless? Australia's best bowler by far in that test....

3 things Ponting did wrong:

1- Where the fuck was Hilfenhaus in that last hour?
2- Why the fuck did Hauritz have such a long spell?
3- Why the fuck was North handed the ball right at the death? I know he's a spinner and they had to get through the overs quickly, but surely Clarke or Katich would've been better options

If anybody is going to be dropped for Clark it will be Hauritz. Depends what the wicket's like at Lord's though

newmz89

Beer
HSC
Johnson's bowling wasn't very good on the last day, he was pretty wayward, his figures flattered him.

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
Dude his average didn't drop below sixty till well into 2008. Hayden and Waugh both recovered from worse form to have devestating seasons late in their career.

I also find it amusing that you tag on the fact that he's good at preserving his wicket as though it is something he should be ashamed of.
oh so a tailender who never gets out means he is good? he didnt get out because australia would declare...because we have/had a good batting lineup...

Lentern

HSC
oh so a tailender who never gets out means he is good? he didnt get out because australia would declare...because we have/had a good batting lineup...
You can not be serious, There was a reason he lingered in the top rankings for so long.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
lol @ Duncan Fletcher and Punter. I loved how Punter just called Fletcher 'irrelevant' in the cricketing world.

HSC
N/A
Harmison (aka forest gump) hasn't been picked:( Onions in for Monty

England won toss chose to bat

GO ENGLAND!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)