Australian Politics (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Re: Australian Politics Chatter Thread

He's not as charming as K-Rudd.

Did you see his appearance on Rove the other night? He's so hilarious and likable. :eek:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Awesome interview. He's very easy to watch.
'Tim Costello has said you are a cross between Napoleon and Churchill'
'Short and fat'

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

I didn't say I liked the way he's Prime Ministering, I said I thought he was charming, you silly girl.

Rove: Politicians are boring or summat
K-Rudd: That's not true Rove, and let me give you four reasons why...
*silence*
K-Rudd: That was a joke
*pulls face*

V

Iron: Was that Rudd or Turnbull?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

This was better. Much better. He's so damn likable. Just like Julia Gillard. They make a great team in parliament.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Gillard is a hilarious parliamentary performer. she rivals costello. i remember one of her exchanges in february or so

Gillard: WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH 20,000 WORKCHOICES MOUSEPADS!?!?
Wilson Tuckey: Maybe you can use them in your education revolution!
Spekaer: Sit down Mr. Tuckey
Gillard: I'd do that, but I wouldn't want to scare the children

:rofl:

it went something like that anyway.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Turnbull

And Rudd wasnt great on Rove. Pretty vaccous, which was fitting with the show in general, but still unimpressive. Also it was lowered the dignity of the office to be questioned by a dipshit like rove and laughed at by his cretins. He has nothing on Gillard or Turnbull's wit. His strengths lie elsewhere. I mean, I appreciate that he likes to look young and popular, but with Howard gone the novelty is fading very fast

ASNSWR127

HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
Gillard is a hilarious parliamentary performer. she rivals costello. i remember one of her exchanges in february or so

Gillard: WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH 20,000 WORKCHOICES MOUSEPADS!?!?
Wilson Tuckey: Maybe you can use them in your education revolution!
Spekaer: Sit down Mr. Tuckey
Gillard: I'd do that, but I wouldn't want to scare the children

:rofl:

it went something like that anyway.
Rival Costello?? I wouldn't take that as a compliment Julia

Now Rivaling Paul Keating...

there is a compliment

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

yes novelty fades fast with two appearances in over a year.

<_<
>_>
<_<

and it wasn't vacuous. it was full of substance you nong

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

I used to share your dogged partisanism Nebs until He arrived, on donkey, hailed by Canberrans with palm leaves. Everything about Turnbull reeks providence. It's like 'I dare you to try and stop me'

spiny norman

HSC

I'm with Iron on this one.

Rudd was pretty underwhelming on Rove, who clearly does not have the capacity nor viewership to engage with someone at that level. And Rudd just seemed unsure of how to take it. Overall I found it a quite average interview.

Though I don't exactly think Turnbull's the greatest Prime Minister ever in waiting, or even a better one than Rudd.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

Turnbull smokes ganja 420.

Turnbull admits to smoking marijuana

Federal Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull has admitted on national television that he has smoked marijuana, but says he regrets it.

Last night Mr Turnbull had the ABC's Q&A program to himself and he smiled his way through many a topic.
"Yes, I have smoked have pot," he said on the show.
"I think most well not most, many people have, it was a mistake to do so."
He says it was a long time ago and he would not have done it if he knew the risks at the time.
Mr Turnbull discussed all sorts of things on the program.
"I'm a dog lover but that doesn't mean I'd do anything cruel to a cat," he said.
He was also asked about his relationship with the late Kerry Packer.
"We did have a collision, but the fact of the matter is he started it," he said.
And he even broached the topic of [former treasurer] Peter Costello.
"You look at all these books Costello's selling," he said.
"I mean there's gotta be something left for my memoirs, really."
lol

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/09/26/2374751.htm?section=justin

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

ASNSWR127 said:
Rival Costello?? I wouldn't take that as a compliment Julia

Now Rivaling Paul Keating...

there is a compliment
lol fucking hell

atreus

HSC

Turnbull gave some great answers on Q and A. But after each of them he would give this smile. You could tell that he was thinking to himself how great that answer and the person that gave it were.

Lentern

HSC

Iron said:
I used to share your dogged partisanism Nebs until He arrived, on donkey, hailed by Canberrans with palm leaves. Everything about Turnbull reeks providence. It's like 'I dare you to try and stop me'
No doubt Turnbull is quite a talented politician, his face comes up nicely on camera, he has a relaxed, chipper conversation style, he has a refined tone of voice without being pompous, probably his voice is actually better than Rudd's, he is articulate and he's witty.

He also has a wry awareness of his own shortcomings, I still think that the success of Keating came from his awareness that he was arrogant. On one occasion Dr John shouted at him "You are an arrogant egotist running a one man circus" to which Keating replied "Yeah G'day, my names Paul Keating." The same way the other night Turnbull seemed to have a very strong awareness of how he comes across which goes down well with voters as opposed to this act like a high and mighty so and so in some situations then turn up on Kerry Anne and say that I'm really just a normal bloke. That doesn't work, Turnbull articulates himself as the plebs see him.

Politically he actually seems to have positioned himself where the electorate wants a government. Pro Kyoto, Pro republic, Pro reconcilliation, uncommited either way on workchoices, low taxes, Buckpassess on gay marriage(it's a lose lose issue politically) and he's a business man.

I've allways thought that businessman were effective politicians just because people develop this assumption that they're good with money, as it happens he's very good with money and the current treasurer has the worst oratorical style of any treasurer I've ever seen. A cabinet reshuffle with Emerson, Tanner or Smith moving to treasurer could negate that a bit but you surrender some political capital in changing treasurers as it more or less means you admitting a mistake.

But for all his very electable qualities Mr Turnbull lacks one thing, an appreciation of timing. There is no such thing as a one term government in this day and age, Whitlam comes in shortest as a two term government and the longevity of his premiership was somewhat distorted by extraordinary circumstances to say the least. Every other government have enjoyed several re-elections, and only Howard struggled with his first re-election.

And really, Howard's first premiership was riddled with blunders, Hawke was an inexperienced parliamentarian, Fraser had undermined the constitution, Whitlam went from radical to radical and Menzies was running with a pretty much new party, yet no oppostion could topple them after one term. By contrast since Mr Rudd has entered the public spotlight he's had astronomical approval ratings, he has his list of impressivisms every bit as long as Mr Turnbull's with the distinct advantage that he isn't a relic from an old, unpopular government, Turnbull's position rests heavilly on being able to woo Abbott, Costello, Coonan, Minchin, Nelson and Truss.

Turnbull's chances of winning the next election are low, even if the caucus hands him the reigns, and then what? How tolerant will the Minchin gang be after Turnbull has pretty much abandoned their Thatcherite values for this moderate, social democrat style of opposition. Which is a shame because I've often thought moderate liberals like Snedden and Turnbul were the key to moving this nation to the left, but you never know, theres along time till the next election, Costello or Bishop may end up being the sacrificial lamb allowing Turnbull to re-emerge down the track when the mood on the electorate is more willing for a new government.

spiny norman

HSC

Lentern said:
I've allways thought that businessman were effective politicians just because people develop this assumption that they're good with money, as it happens he's very good with money and the current treasurer has the worst oratorical style of any treasurer I've ever seen. A cabinet reshuffle with Emerson, Tanner or Smith moving to treasurer could negate that a bit but you surrender some political capital in changing treasurers as it more or less means you admitting a mistake.
But Bishop as Shadow Treasurer was a terrible move, and she's widely seen as a big joke. She rightfully should've gone ahead of Nelson, but is staying purely because of the fact that she's a woman, and one of those is needed in response to Gillard (but the Liberals have the misfortune of having no woman as respected or talented as her). Her Wall Street Journal plagiarism is sure to not even be her most embarrassing bungle as time goes by. Polls show most Australians prefer Swan to her as Treasurer. So long as she's his opposite, he shouldn't be in much trouble (though I do think Tanner's the man for the job, ideally).

Which is a shame because I've often thought moderate liberals like Snedden and Turnbul were the key to moving this nation to the left, but you never know, theres along time till the next election, Costello or Bishop may end up being the sacrificial lamb allowing Turnbull to re-emerge down the track when the mood on the electorate is more willing for a new government.
After this election, I can not help but think Turnbull will be seen as too old. He's 54. No Prime Minister of Australia has ever been elected into office over the age of 56 (Howard and Whitlam). Turnbull'll be that age in 2010, and 59 at the 2013 election (provided Rudd doesn't go calling early elections). While 59's certainly not elderly, especially for a Prime Minister (and especially when we have a 72 year old running for President of the United States), I do think it would be at risk of being an issue, and just can't see Turnbull having anything more than just this one shot (the number of ambitious types in his front bench, and back bench, doesn't help him any either).

Lentern

HSC

spiny norman said:
But Bishop as Shadow Treasurer was a terrible move, and she's widely seen as a big joke. She rightfully should've gone ahead of Nelson, but is staying purely because of the fact that she's a woman, and one of those is needed in response to Gillard (but the Liberals have the misfortune of having no woman as respected or talented as her). Her Wall Street Journal plagiarism is sure to not even be her most embarrassing bungle as time goes by. Polls show most Australians prefer Swan to her as Treasurer. So long as she's his opposite, he shouldn't be in much trouble (though I do think Tanner's the man for the job, ideally).

After this election, I can not help but think Turnbull will be seen as too old. He's 54. No Prime Minister of Australia has ever been elected into office over the age of 56 (Howard and Whitlam). Turnbull'll be that age in 2010, and 59 at the 2013 election (provided Rudd doesn't go calling early elections). While 59's certainly not elderly, especially for a Prime Minister (and especially when we have a 72 year old running for President of the United States), I do think it would be at risk of being an issue, and just can't see Turnbull having anything more than just this one shot (the number of ambitious types in his front bench, and back bench, doesn't help him any either).
I think you're going over the top with Bishop. Don't get me wrong I can't stand the woman but I don't think she's a useless politician, certainly frontbench material, perhaps not treasurer, I like attorney general for her actually, iron lady(or ice queen more like it) cracks down on crime kind of thing, women make very good attack dogs in politics because it looks bad if the man dominates them in an arguement.

I agree that history is against it Turnbull's age, but i think it's unchartered water worth sailing. It's risky I know, but I've long thought that elderly opposition leaders work really well, in an incumbent government there is safety, the whole better the devil you know kind of thing. They can in so many words suggest that the LO isn't up to playing with the big boys, Hawkey was very good at it as was Howard against Latham, you suddenly send in a guy slightly senior to the PM and it kind of doesn't work so good. Hawke and Howard both were older men and won decisively, not this old but for me there could be good reason to compare it to the Carter-Reagan election.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

PM Kevin Rudd ready to borrow cash

THE Federal Government is prepared to become a borrower for the first time in more than a decade to fund its ambitious infrastructure building program.

Kevin Rudd is considering becoming the first Prime Minister in more than 12 years to take on net debt,

ASNSWR127

HSC

Rafy said:
PM Kevin Rudd ready to borrow cash

THE Federal Government is prepared to become a borrower for the first time in more than a decade to fund its ambitious infrastructure building program.

Kevin Rudd is considering becoming the first Prime Minister in more than 12 years to take on net debt,
point is?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)