• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Being shortsighted....how worse can it get?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
im short sighted and the weirdest thing is my left eye is much more blurry than my right :l
woah, you better go see someone soon.
I wear glasses, cause they fit my face better. For some strange reason. And contacts; my sister studies eyes at Sydney Uni, and man, the stories she tells me... if you just put your contact off a little bit...

And the max limit of wearing contacts is 10 years.

:D I'm such a nerd, wearing my glasses, and playing games in the dark.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i am something like -4 and -4.25 [one eye is slightly different] and i would not leave the house without glasses, its too dangerous. Once i woke up in a hurry late to uni and i got out of bed and straight into the car without my glasses and i didnt realize till i was half way down the road that everything looked strange, i had to pull over and walk back for them because i didnt trust myself driving. Now i keep one of my old pairs in the car incase i lose a contact or something happens and i need them to drive.

Usually i dont even leave bed without them, and if i put them down for a sec or someone moves them i have to pat around until i can find them its that bad.

Its not a real hinderence on my life though, it probably adds 5mins to getting ready when i put contacts on[but i dont wear them all the time, most of the time i use glasses] ive had eyesight problems since yr7 and it got progressively worse, until yr10 i only needed to wear them to see the board then i started wearing them all the time. Its kinda scary i guess without them, i feel kind of helpless but with them everything is sweet.

izzy88

HSC
you shouldn't be wearing contacts all your life. Max is ten years.
sorry to repeat myself, but why? :confused:

Do you mean wearing contacts daily for more than 10 years will screw your eyes up? Or that for some reason contacts will stop working after 10 years?

and what kind of contacts are you talking about? is there any difference between wearing them every day vs once a week? or the ones you keep in for a month vs the ones that you take out at night? there are so many different types of contacts out there that i'm not sure what to make of your statement.

any science or anything that you could link/post would be great. :)

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I have no idea of my prescription rating, but I can't see someone's face on the other side of the road.

I also have all round bad eyesight. I have multi-focal lenses. I cannot read without my glasses, and I cannot see further than around 30cm in front of my face without blur, courtesy of an Astigmatism.

I hate glasses, but I'll never get rid of them.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
I am shortsighted (Around 1.5-2 Diopters)

But, then my Grandmother wore -5.5 or something, my Mother wears around -4.5 my Dad had about -4. So I consider myself lucky. :uhhuh:

One thing I noticed is, the more I wear glasses, the faster my vision deteriorates. I try to only wear glasses for driving and just got used to living in a blurry world.

I am going to wait until I am about 25, then laser eye surgery it is.

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
im short sighted and the weirdest thing is my left eye is much more blurry than my right :l
same.

found out today my prescription is something like -3.25 right eye, -6.00 (perhaps worse, all I heard was the '6') left eye. It's really annoying having both eyes so different from each other because it means I need my glasses for reading/closeup too (depite being short-sighted, ie being able to see things close up), because what's in focus for my left eye is too close for my right eye to focus on and vice versa.

however my optometrist said one of his...patients? clients? customers?...has a -18 prescription. :eek: thought that was pretty amazing.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
same.

found out today my prescription is something like -3.25 right eye, -6.00 (perhaps worse, all I heard was the '6') left eye. It's really annoying having both eyes so different from each other because it means I need my glasses for reading/closeup too (depite being short-sighted, ie being able to see things close up), because what's in focus for my left eye is too close for my right eye to focus on and vice versa.

however my optometrist said one of his...patients? clients? customers?...has a -18 prescription. :eek: thought that was pretty amazing.
-18?

His lenses must be like 2cm thick.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a 5 in both eyes
I have nfi what that means but the tone of voice the optometrist lady said it in made it sound bad.

I've been shortsighted/wearing glasses since 2000. Holy shit 9 years.

baby_femme

HSC
Sorry I can't read your message, the font you have used was so small...

Anyway it depends on how poor your friend's vision is... I'm a nearsighted, I used my first eyeglasses on my 4th grade, it really feels like i'm a nerd... I broke it and scolded by mom... LOLs I've had mild migraines so I had to use another eyeglasses on... I used them until on my 8th grade, somehow It feels good without wearing them... So I decided not to wear them at all... I just take vitamins for good eyesight...

Last edited:

windkyng

HSC
I am shortsighted (Around 1.5-2 Diopters)

But, then my Grandmother wore -5.5 or something, my Mother wears around -4.5 my Dad had about -4. So I consider myself lucky. :uhhuh:

One thing I noticed is, the more I wear glasses, the faster my vision deteriorates. I try to only wear glasses for driving and just got used to living in a blurry world.

I am going to wait until I am about 25, then laser eye surgery it is.
That is so true.. my eyes are so shitbox now. on the brink of -4 for both. I used to be like -2.0 or something until i got glasses they seemed to dramatically get worse cause i always wore them i believe.

Long sighted is so much better than short sighted. At least with longsightedness you could like.. sit like 30cms in front of a TV then eventually get 20/20 or something.

Glasses suck, people always knock them off me and they are so hard to keep on during sport. The problem with contact lenses (daily ones at least) is that sometimes I accidentally fall asleep with them on and i dont think its very good at all.

Dont want laser surgery cause i dont want my eyes to be cut with a knife and then burnt with a laser. The price for ortho-k therapy (whatever its called) lenses is just absurd.

Sigh .. why do these eyes curse me or why cant i be daredevil?

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
had my eyes checked this month, -4.25 both eyes.. and ive had glasses since year 2 :(

HSC
I don't even know what my eyesight is. D: Even though i am forced during the holidays to got to Sydney U's Cumberland Campus with my sister so i can be examined by the weird-as machines they have there, cause they can't find anyone that is willing to sit there and let lights scan their eyes.

D:

Wait. Why me?

*ahem*
I was supposed to wear glasses when i was in year 1 or something, but my mum reckoned i was only asking for glasses to look like Harry Potter or something >.>...

But then, in Year 4, the op checked my eyes and was like:
:eek:

C:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)