"Board of Studies lashed over HSC" and other stories (1 Viewer)

helper

HSC
N/A
P.S. I never knew markers could give half marks in the raw marks... my teachers say that the markers never do - now I know and I will show them.
In the sciences they don't.

They mainly appear in long answer questions, so could be the result of double marking and averaging.

Not sure why in the low mark English questions

sam5

HSC
has anybody got any more of these parsonages?

e.g. legal, pe, 2u maths, bio...

Much appreciation.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The parsonages are great. Please do tell us how we can access them for our marks in 2009 onwards.

P.S. I never knew markers could give half marks in the raw marks... my teachers say that the markers never do - now I know and I will show them.

In Modern History we most certainly do NOT give half marks.

How half or even tenths of marks come about is due to the double marking of essays.

Marker 1 gives and essay 17/25 while Marker 2 gives it 20/25 meaning a total of 37/50 which is divided by 2 to get 18.5/25 for that essay.

With the judging there are 6 judges and say they judge the cut-off as 16, 17, 18, 16, 15 and 18 which equals 100 divided by 6 = 16.666666. When that sort of mark is added for say four questions (as in Modern History) is it possible to get a cut-off such as 84.78 and thus a mark of 84.5 would get Band 5 whereas 85 would go to 90 and get Band 6.

As a marker though no half marks at all, even as a judge we only deal in full marks.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
What exactly were those sheets called - I realised they weren't called 'parsonages' when I saw "Hugh Parsonage". lol.

mystiques4

Awesome Member
HSC
Yea i'm sure there are more available.
The article says that he led a group of people to apply?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
My understanding is that they haven't received their marks yet - but (depending on your interpretation of recommendation 20.7) they should be released in due course.

I don't think the raw mark sheets have an official name. The Board described them in this way to Hugh:

The data relating to each of your HSC courses shows all values used by the Board of Studies in the processing of your results, from initial input data (ie school assessment marks and raw marks for each examination question) to your final reported results.

It is presented in an approximately chronological order of processing, rather than in the order specified in your FOI request. Also, for clarity, some data presented is additional to that requested by you. This data is where there are additional steps in the processing of the data, such as optional question scaling (where students may choose from a range of options in an examination) and common paper equating in English (Advanced), or for completeness.

freaked

HSC
Yea i'm sure there are more available.
The article says that he led a group of people to apply?
Yep, I'm one of the people who joined Hugh. I haven'ty received my scores, but I hope they come soon. All I cared about was my marks for my PIP. Spending 9 months on an essay and not knowing how well you did just sucks.

A huge thank you to Hugh Parsonage. I hope this helps more people access their raw marks.

sharp_pencil

HSC
Re: "Board of Studies lashed over HSC", "HSC marks out of the dark"

True, but if you look at previous results for 2003:

<table width="66%" cellpadding="2"><tbody><tr><td>2003 Board Developed Courses </td><td colspan="2" width="20%" align="middle">Total Weighted
Mark
</td><td colspan="2" width="20%" align="middle">Aligned Exam
Mark

</td></tr><tr><td>Chemistry </td><td align="right">61/100 </td><td width="6%">
</td><td align="right">79/100 </td><td width="6%">

</td></tr><tr><td>English (Advanced) </td><td align="right">73/100 </td><td>
</td><td align="right">82/100 </td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>Mathematics </td><td align="right">73/120 </td><td>
</td><td align="right">82/100 </td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>Mathematics Extension 1 </td><td align="right">11/84 </td><td>
</td><td align="right">17/50 </td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>Physics </td><td align="right">56/100 </td><td>
</td><td align="right">78/100 </td><td>

</td></tr><tr><td>Software Design and Development </td><td align="right">59/100 </td><td>
</td><td align="right">79/100</td></tr></tbody></table>

Notice the huge jump in most of those subjects? (especially Physics). That's definitely not expected by the ordinary student.
Thats fucking awesome. So if i get like 90% raw mark in physics and chem im basically getting 99%.. im pretty happy who gives a shit about the raw marks..

mystiques4

Awesome Member
HSC
Yep, I'm one of the people who joined Hugh. I haven'ty received my scores, but I hope they come soon. All I cared about was my marks for my PIP. Spending 9 months on an essay and not knowing how well you did just sucks.

A huge thank you to Hugh Parsonage. I hope this helps more people access their raw marks.
Oh nice, would you mind posting them up when you get them?
I'm really interested in seeing some more of those, the only subject that is relevant to me is SDD :(

How many others applied with Hugh?

Mathman26

HSC
N/A
ey lazarus i still dont get some shit in those parsonage documents. wats the weigting factor/ how do you calculate the weigted mark from the raw mark/

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I'm curious to see what mine were, but if I got scaled up terribly high I don't really want to know ... Just like I don't want to know if I got scaled down. I'd prefer just to have the marks I received.
When I was about to start my HSC exams, my English teacher told me that the assessment mark she had submitted to BOS for Adv. English was 97. Apparently she wasn't supposed to tell me, idk? 97 was about 15 marks higher than the next person down, so imagine my surprise when I got my "assessment" mark from BOS ................... Definitely wasn't 97 :\

freaked

HSC
Oh nice, would you mind posting them up when you get them?
I'm really interested in seeing some more of those, the only subject that is relevant to me is SDD :(

How many others applied with Hugh?
I don't know how many others, but I believe there were a lot.
I could post the raw marks, but I finished high school 4 years ago. I don't really know where I've put the other marks I received.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I'm curious to see what mine were, but if I got scaled up terribly high I don't really want to know ... Just like I don't want to know if I got scaled down. I'd prefer just to have the marks I received.
When I was about to start my HSC exams, my English teacher told me that the assessment mark she had submitted to BOS for Adv. English was 97. Apparently she wasn't supposed to tell me, idk? 97 was about 15 marks higher than the next person down, so imagine my surprise when I got my "assessment" mark from BOS ................... Definitely wasn't 97 :\
If you had the top assessment mark at 97 and the top exam mark was 78 then your assessment mark would drop to 78. That is why we are told not to give kids their raw assessment marks - because the BOS moderates them so much.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
If you had the top assessment mark at 97 and the top exam mark was 78 then your assessment mark would drop to 78. That is why we are told not to give kids their raw assessment marks - because the BOS moderates them so much.
Oh snap.

:(

edit: am over it now, it was in 2005 after all. but i was a bit :spzz: when it all came down.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC

why is it that the Board is so determined to keep the raw marks a secret? I don't get it.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

why is it that the Board is so determined to keep the raw marks a secret? I don't get it.
They don't want people to know just how much the align subjects upwards.

Particularly at the Band 2 level where raw marks could be in the high teens (certainly in the low 20s) and yet get reported as 50%.

Now to most people 50% means that you got half the paper right but a raw mark of 20% says that you got 80% of the paper wrong. However the BOS could, and in some subjects even lower, raise that 20 to 50 and so tell the world that 80% wrong on a paper = 50% right.

Even a Band 6 of exactly 90 could be raised from 2 - 8/9 marks.

In addition they don't want anyone to think that they are manipulating the figures to say that kids are getting brighter because more kids are getting Band 6's and fewer are getting Band 1.s when in fact they are lowering the cut-offs to allow that to happen (in Britain where they have had a similar system in place it was getting so bad that in 2002 they predicted that if the current rate of increase continued then by 2007 over 100% of students would get a pass at the highest level - they changed the system slightly to stop that happening).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)