Cadetships 2008/09 (1 Viewer)

angel07

HSC
Re: Cadetships 2007

I am not too sure whether they've sent the offers yet. The lawler interview was last week.

xxJTxx

HSC

Rejected from PwC, E&Y and Deloitte (got a phone interview/quesiton session thing though, but according to the woman, she said everyone who applies gets that).
Nothing from KPMG.
Didn't apply to any mid tiers.

Life sucks. It was my back up plan if the whole Med thing doesn't work out.

I thought I put in a great application, but I guess the lack of work experience worked completely against me. I understand that a lot of students have more work experience than me, and are probably putting in more in extra curicular's..I just decided, when I reached the legal working age, to spend all my time on school.

Someone back there said somehting about a great student with good marks, basketball etc. I'm first in all of my subjects (nice range of subjects as well, 3u maths, 3u eng, business, bio and legal), my mid year results were quiet spiffy, and my academic achievements awesome. Work experience utterly sucked though. I think that was a huge factor. But it's a little sad, it is a traineeship after all. Most (or in my opinion) applicants wouldn't have a lot of work experience anyway, so why should that get factored in? It's after your educated, after you have a decent opportunity to do some real work, that work experience should be a factor. After uni it's all about experience. I guess I'm just a firm believer in 'everyone starts somewhere' - the big 4 weren't my starting point (woulda been a great one though, I think you can all agree with that).

:) Good luck to all who got interviews, who must be very, very, impressive people to get to that stage.

P.S The rejection emails were so weirdly the same. I think the Deloitte and PwC ones were too similar. Conspiracy? I think not. But would be fun if there was.

Last edited:

nickwilson

HSC

angel07 said:
Did anybody receive an offer from lawler partners?
Yea i still haven't heard from lawler partners about the result of the interview, they said we would find out by the end of june but, so i'm assuming we'll find out tomorrow or friday.

steelite

HSC

It doesnt really matter if you have awesome marks and come first in everything, it just shows your good academically.....what counts is if you did extra curricular stuff and like you said, have some work experience, its about fitting into a team, whilst also being able to complete the problem...

vinnyboy

HSC

xxJTxx said:
Rejected from PwC, E&Y and Deloitte (got a phone interview/quesiton session thing though, but according to the woman, she said everyone who applies gets that).
Nothing from KPMG.

I thought I put in a great application, but I guess the lack of work experience worked completely against me. I understand that a lot of students have more work experience than me, and are probably putting in more in extra curicular's..I just decided, when I reached the legal working age, to spend all my time on school.

Someone back there said somehting about a great student with good marks, basketball etc. I'm first in all of my subjects (nice range of subjects as well, 3u maths, 3u eng, business, bio and legal), my mid year results were quiet spiffy, and my academic achievements awesome. Work experience utterly sucked though. I think that was a huge factor. But it's a little sad, it is a traineeship after all. Most (or in my opinion) applicants wouldn't have a lot of work experience anyway, so why should that get factored in? It's after your educated, after you have a decent opportunity to do some real work, that work experience should be a factor. After uni it's all about experience. I guess I'm just a firm believer in 'everyone starts somewhere' - the big 4 weren't my starting point (woulda been a great one though, I think you can all agree with that).

:) Good luck to all who got interviews, who must be very, very, impressive people to get to that stage.

P.S The rejection emails were so weirdly the same. I think the Deloitte and PwC ones were too similar. Conspiracy? I think not. But would be fun if there was.

I know that feeling when you get hit with a rejection letter, i've got 3 in my collection. Dont feel bad mate. btw,There is still a few companies you can apply for. So all is not lost

HSC

does anyone know how manyapplications KPMG sydney receive, how many interviews they do and how many places they end up offering? quite a few ppl seem to have gotten interviews!

michaelaraco

HSC
Kpf

i finally got an interview for PKF, YEA!!!:) did any of you guys get one, what time, and do you know the questions they ask

my interview is at 3pm monday july 2nd, this monday, not good

Last edited:

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC

blackpinkblack said:
does anyone know how manyapplications KPMG sydney receive, how many interviews they do and how many places they end up offering? quite a few ppl seem to have gotten interviews!
On their website, it says that they offer 45 positions =)

michaelaraco said:
i finally got an interview, YEA!!!:) did any of you guys get one, what time, and do you know the questions they ask

my interview is at 3pm monday july 2nd, this monday, not good
Is this for PKF or KPMG?

michaelaraco

HSC
Pkf

yeah this was for PKF, does anyone know the type of questions they ask, im so nervous, and its this monday

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

OMG I hate my internet- typed up a very very long post only to have BoS stuff up during the post.

xxJTxx said:
Nothing from KPMG.

In short, a cadetship is a 4 year program whereby you are dedicating yourself to a career in Accounting. If it's merely a backup option to something else in a totally different field, what makes you think you are ready to commit? Furthermore, from the firm's perspective, would they really want to spend all that time and money recruiting and training someone up only to have them leave the moment the opportunity for them to do what they really want comes along? Remember, a cadetship job isn't like working at Maccas where you are easily replaced- the client needs are scheduled more than 6 months in advance, and the cost/effort to train up a newbie (especially a trainee who doesn't have uni knowledge to fall back on) is substantial; not to mention the cost of finding a last-minute replacement and training them up.

I highly recommend you pursue the career path which you are genuinely interested in. If you aren't really interested in business/accounting, honestly speaking, you're going to find a cadetship horrible because apart from the perks (i.e. social events & charity events), all our time is spent understanding our clients' businesses.

I personally was intending to study Accounting at uni regardless of cadetship or not- and to me, Big4 wasn't everything. Before someone from another firm jumps in, the majority of Accounting cadetships in Assurance or Business Solutions (or even Taxation!) are typically aimed at people who were planning to understake studies in Accounting (or Commerce/Business at least) regardless.

Take a step back and think about what it is we actually do. The work we do (at least in audit) of understanding the risks in a business by interpretting how the processes flow and so on, isn't exactly rocket science. You don't need a 99UAI to do it. What you do need is some interpersonal skills whereby you are able to sit down and talk to the client, listen to what they have to say, and somehow transform their ramblings into something useful such as a flowchart of what actually happens. That's why there is such an emphasis on finding out about extra curricular and/or (any) work experience whereby you have developed skills which enable you to talk with people.

Most (or in my opinion) applicants wouldn't have a lot of work experience anyway, so why should that get factored in? It's after your educated, after you have a decent opportunity to do some real work, that work experience should be a factor.
It isn't so much 'work' experience but rather, evidence to support you have the personality and the skills we need to do what we do. Most jobs will require you to have some form of interaction with other people in a team or client/customer relationship, or some form of dedication whereby you have some obligation to fulfill your responsibilities. Those are things which are directly applicable to what we do- not your ability to perform 3d integration.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm slamming/targeting you- the reality is a lot of people are in your position and are only doing this as a backup option to medicine. But honestly, maybe this is a blessing in disguise? If you are genuinely interested in medicine, keep going for it- even if you don't make it in first time round, at least do relevant subjects in uni so that you can build on your interest... assuming you are genuinely interested in the career and the material; rather than the title :)

To everyone else, dont' fret. If you are serious about Accounting, the majority of people dont' start out as a trainee/undergrad. Most join through the graduate recruitment programs, and alot even started as a vacation student. Furthermore, there are also some firms which offer cadetships later in the year (to make up their numbers) or they offer to first year uni students based on business needs. So don't give up :) Just keep at it.

Good luck to everyone!

angel07

HSC

nickwilson said:
Yea i still haven't heard from lawler partners about the result of the interview, they said we would find out by the end of june but, so i'm assuming we'll find out tomorrow or friday.
I hope they (Lawler) haven't sent any offers yet. I had my interview last Wed. When did you get interviewed?

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC

you know if you guys don't make it this time, theres always next year once you have 1 year uni inside your belt. mainly because students will tend to love uni and stay there until they finish.

and also people doing grad vacation programs are pretty much guranteed a job in the future anyway, so i wouldn't fret.

but yeah don't punch the person closest to you because you didn't get an interview, just chillax and i would say being the smartest doesn't really mean that you also have common sense =P

edit: also take note, usually companies (please correct me if i'm wrong) do not reoffer (unless its co-op) when their offers have been turned down. So if company A sends out 45 offers and only 36 accepts, then i don't think they will reoffer.

*cough company A is kpmg *cough

Last edited:

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC

Thats true, if you do not get a position as a cadet its not the end of the world.

I didnt even apply for any cadetships during high school. As a matter of fact, I didnt even think of working in big4 at all. I went to uni and got a cadetship with BDO after 1 year of uni, then worked there for 3.5yrs, got my degree and graduated, then got into PwC as a senior accountant.

So dont worry too much if you do not get it first time around.

hunni.xx

HSC
Re: Pkf

michaelaraco said:
yeah this was for PKF, does anyone know the type of questions they ask, im so nervous, and its this monday
i hav an interview wif dem on lyk wed... would u b able to tell us wat dey ask after u go lol?? i hav bkr dis fri, kpmg n nexia on tues, pkf on wed n accru on thurs... maybe we can all share =]=]

is a roflcopter
HSC
Re: Pkf

lolol chillout newbies

i didnt even know what a cadetship or what big4 was in high school.

if you didnt get an interview dont get depressed, just gun down the hsc and go hard at uni, the firms will be dying to recruit you then. :)

mikeet

HSC

Does anyone know how many recruitment stages there are for KPMG?
And what they are?

I wish it was all in one day like PwC. I don't want to waste time going back if I don't get it.

Thanks =)

HSC

look on the website it tells you clear and simple. the first round is roughy a 40 minute interview with a manager, and then the second round is another interview this time with a partner, plus a group assessment plus a written examination type thing. then you got an offer if you're succesful.

ctkid

HSC

k everyone, just a quick check, which companies have people heard from so far...so far iv read on thsi hread epople getting calsl 4m

PKF
PWC
EY
Deloitte
Accru Felsers
BKR
KPMG
Lawler
Moore Stephen Sydney
NexiaWalter Turnbull

if you have any others or have any reason to believe any of them shouldnt be there...because i hav a feeling BDO havnt sent out calls yet
but ye

roadcone

HSC

xxJTxx said:
Nothing from KPMG.

after reading that...

there would be no chance i would hire you, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)