Clerical Recheck- Chance of Worse Mark?? (1 Viewer)

snowconesyum

HSC
Hey everyone,

I'm considering putting in a clerical re-check form for English Advanced, just kind of out of curiosity/need to satisfy that 'just in case' feeling, cos my exam mark was waaay lower than I expected, (89 exam mark with 93 assessment, and all my friends who I'm usually around the same got significantly higher exam results), and it felt like it was my best exam by far. Better than trials, where I did pretty well. Of course I realise I probably just stuffed up the exam and they gave me the right result, but I want to double check lol - so my question is:

If you pay for a re-check, is it possible for you to end up with a worse mark, if they find that they added it wrongly and gave you too many?? Or are the only options receiving the same mark or better? Should I risk the possibility that I could end up with something worse?

Thanks!

snowconesyum

HSC
Oh - I just rang up the HSC inquiry line and found out. So for future cases in case someone is interested - the guy said no, there is absolutely no chance you can end up with a lower mark than originally, if by any chance they gave you too many marks by mistake at first, you get to keep them.

But he also said there the system is pretty failproof and the marks only have the tiniest chance of being incorrect.

dp624

HSC
Perhaps I should do one for physics too. What's the process for it?

snowconesyum

HSC
There's a link to a form on the homepage of board of studies, about second item down under clerical re-checks or something.

I'm just gonna fax it in. Oh and it costs money - about 25 for english.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I am not too keen about clerical rechecks, they just wanna leech money and he's right about bring failproof.

But don't let me discourage you, better to know that it is what it is, then feeling regret for not rechecking in the future.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Yeah.. I was thinking of getting one for biology coz my mark was lower than I expected, but my UAI is high enough to get into my first preference, so i cbf

dp624

HSC
OK, im going to throw one for physics for fun lol. my exam was 94, quite a bit lower than expected (i thought i'd get like 98)

iEdd

HSC
My physics was lower than expected. I was estimated to get 95 and got 91. I don't think it aligned as well this year as in the past - maybe BOS saw it as an "easier" paper.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
For this recheck system to be fair, markers should be allowed to give you a lower mark if that is the case.

So I am considering that you can actually get worse mark as a result.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
It is NOT a remark, all it check's is that all attempted questions have been marked and that the marks have been entered in the computer correctly.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
emytaylor164 said:
It is NOT a remark, all it check's is that all attempted questions have been marked and that the marks have been entered in the computer correctly.
I said recheck.

And yeah, because of that, you can still get a lower mark.

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
lyounamu said:
I said recheck.

yeah, i reckon that you should run the risk of getting a lower mark.

and i doubt that your mark would be wrong unless it's SEVERELY off, ie. they missed an entire page or something. otherwise i'd think it just wouldn't happen

that said, though, im thinking about getting one done for either legal or 2u maths, just to scrape another 0.05 so i can get scientia =)

any thoughts on whether it's worth it? isn't it really time consuming?

dp624

HSC
nicko1990 said:

and i doubt that your mark would be wrong unless it's SEVERELY off, ie. they missed an entire page or something. otherwise i'd think it just wouldn't happen

that said, though, im thinking about getting one done for either legal or 2u maths, just to scrape another 0.05 so i can get scientia =)

lol just do it, 13.60 is like nothing so dw.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nicko1990 said:

to scrap another 0.05, you prob need 2-3 scaled marks perhaps?

To do that, you must get like 3-5 marks. I think it will be difficult to get 3-5 more extra marks. But there is a chance that you were so close to 99.90 that you only need 1 mark...but the chance of that is unknown..

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
I said recheck.

sorry namu, it was not in response to you post :)

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
everyone ABSOLUTELY sure that your mark can't go down if you get it rechecked?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nicko1990 said:
no one is sure. but i believe that it can go down.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
snowconesyum said:
Oh - I just rang up the HSC inquiry line and found out. So for future cases in case someone is interested - the guy said no, there is absolutely no chance you can end up with a lower mark than originally, if by any chance they gave you too many marks by mistake at first, you get to keep them.

But he also said there the system is pretty failproof and the marks only have the tiniest chance of being incorrect.
nicko1990 said:
lyounamu said:
no one is sure. but i believe that it can go down.
Kids. You just finished your HSC. Isn't your ability to read tested in that thing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)