Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Would you take a coronavirus vaccine if it was available to you, and if so which would you prefer?

• No

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Any vaccine

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Pfizer

Votes: 47 30.7%
  • Astra Zeneca

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Already vaccinated with AZ

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Already vaccinated with Pfizer

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • Moderna

• Sputnik

• Janssen

• Novavax

• Total voters

Time&moretime

HSC
The schools might place greater emphasis on the year 12s since no one wants anyone to repeat another year. The other cohorts will be on the 'backburner' for now. The universities are already revising their entry requirements for some of their courses in light of recent events. I don't think anyone should worry about 'cheating' because firstly its unethical, secondly its takes a lot of hard work to 'cheat' and finally the idea of assessments is to help you assess your abilities to take up future challenges. When things start to calm down a little, you'll find that the economy will be charging 'full steam ahead'. It is going to be unreal. 🚂

Time&moretime

HSC
'Premier Gladys Berejiklian confirmed students would return to school one day a week from May 11 and that teachers would be given priority access to coronavirus testing. Students learning remotely from home would begin returning to classrooms from May 11, Ms Berejiklian said, the third week of term two, with a view to a full-time return to classrooms from term three.' Sydney Morning Herald.

Potato Sticks

HSC
The schools might place greater emphasis on the year 12s since no one wants anyone to repeat another year. The other cohorts will be on the 'backburner' for now. The universities are already revising their entry requirements for some of their courses in light of recent events. I don't think anyone should worry about 'cheating' because firstly its unethical, secondly its takes a lot of hard work to 'cheat' and finally the idea of assessments is to help you assess your abilities to take up future challenges. When things start to calm down a little, you'll find that the economy will be charging 'full steam ahead'. It is going to be unreal. 🚂
Regardless of what happens, multiple figures have said there will be no mass repeating. They will have to make do with whatever gets done.

Cheating is also unavoidable if exams are meant to be taken at home (in reference to one of your previous comments, it will be feasible to hold in school exams at some point and there is no reason not to, unless the situations spirals again), in “trust” of their integrity. Not only is cheating easy with no proctoring (and compulsory use of e-proctor software extremely controversial and inaccessible), student trust in the integrity of the exam is also lacking, as they cannot confirm other students are no cheating.

The economy is not going to be charging anytime soon, at least until the virus is well and truly gone. That’s probably a year or more away. Too many things they can’t open up yet. But yes, once it is really gone, we will see the economy come back to life.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I don't think anyone should worry about 'cheating' because firstly its unethical, secondly its takes a lot of hard work to 'cheat' and finally the idea of assessments is to help you assess your abilities to take up future challenges.
Oh my sweet summer child...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Students in Germany are doing their final exams now at school, with the obvious hygiene and distancing precautions.

So it shouldn’t be surprising similiar measures will happen here.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Kind of unbelievable. They are demanding their gun rights and a Trump is publicly encouraging the protests...
I actually like trump but sometimes he really does say stupid stuff.

OOnikki

HSC
Lmao, I'm lowkey stressed out even though I'm in year 11 because some of my teachers can't even teach through online and some literally don't even reply to me uhghh.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Watching the movie Contagion on tv. Quite interesting seeing the comparisons...

Potato Sticks

HSC
I actually like trump but sometimes he really does say stupid stuff.
Yeah I think some of Trump’s goals and vision are in the right place.

Unfortunately, he can’t stop himself from saying whatever he want, and in the process does some damage.

Like today, claiming that injecting sanitizer and introducing light to lungs might cure the Coronavirus. This sounds like just a joke, but is unfortunately actually very dangerous, as there will be some American that decides to inject sanitizer.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Unfortunately, he can’t stop himself from saying whatever he want, and in the process does some damage.
Yep, unfortunately no President is perfect. You win some you lose some I guess. However I don't mind when he bashes CNN on fake news and other people that deserve it.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Like today, claiming that injecting sanitizer and introducing light to lungs might cure the Coronavirus. This sounds like just a joke, but is unfortunately actually very dangerous, as there will be some American that decides to inject sanitizer.
I actually followed up on this because I couldn't believe what I was reading.

Again it's fake news. It's the media twisting words as usual. Trump never said to inject sanitizer, it is taken totally out of context. Watch the full conference thing. The media really is a piece of shit.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I actually followed up on this because I couldn't believe what I was reading.

Again it's fake news. It's the media twisting words as usual. Trump never said to inject sanitizer, it is taken totally out of context. Watch the full conference thing. The media really is a piece of shit.
I wouldn’t call that “fake news” tbh because what he said wasn’t exactly made up by the media (especially compared to some of the false things he asserts), but rather could be interpreted in a certain way.

He was basically floating the idea in the context of a (somewhat cringeworthy) thought bubble. That was made pretty clear in the reports I came across at least. Maybe there’s a handful of articles that don’t make that clear?

However, that doesn’t change how hilariously silly and meme-able that was. It also doesn’t change how dangerous it is for him to speculate like that in public, especially after the hydroxychloroquine incident. There’s a reason why politicians typically say “I’m not going to speculate” to the media lol.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The US is about to hit 1 million confirmed cases. The number of confirmed deaths in the past month for the US is pretty shocking. It’s higher than an entire year’s worth of their motor vehicle fatalities and is about to exceed a year’s worth of their (upper bound estimate) influenza fatalities as well. It’s also likely to exceed the 60,000 estimated by one of their models.

If you look at their epidemic curve the daily number of confirmed cases has remained relatively constant and hasn’t really come down much from the peak at all. Yet they want to relax restrictions pretty soon.

In contrast, here in Australia we’re still waiting for relaxed restrictions when we’re well and truly past the peak and clearly at the tail end of the curve...

Potato Sticks

HSC
The US is about to hit 1 million confirmed cases. The number of confirmed deaths in the past month for the US is pretty shocking. It’s higher than an entire year’s worth of their motor vehicle fatalities and is about to exceed a year’s worth of their (upper bound estimate) influenza fatalities as well. It’s also likely to exceed the 60,000 estimated by one of their models.

If you look at their epidemic curve the daily number of confirmed cases has remained relatively constant and hasn’t really come down much from the peak at all. Yet they want to relax restrictions pretty soon.

In contrast, here in Australia we’re still waiting for relaxed restrictions when we’re well and truly past the peak and clearly at the tail end of the curve...
Most countries only slightly past their peak are looking at relaxation. One would expect that the cases rise dramatically once they are relaxed. Herd immunity might end up not working due to short immunity duration. Overzealous actions from the majority of countries is not justification for us to rush too quick.

We are at the end of the 1st wave of an unknown number of waves of infection. Cases in NSW are stable around 10 a day now. Any relaxation that would likely increase, potentially substantially. The point of keeping it low before releasing is you have time to clamp down before it goes out of control. If America releases now, they won’t notice the damage until there’s already 10s of millions of cases. Australia might be able to relockdown with only 1000 or so more cases.

Australia is taking the smart wait and watch approach. Obviously at some point we will start taking risks with relaxations, and if the infections increase, then we know we have to wait it out for a vaccine on semi-lockdown (probably only around 6-10 months given faster than expected progress now).

Potato Sticks

HSC
Honestly, I believe America is somewhat past the peak, due to their poor testing regime. However, it is not well past, let alone enough to justify relaxation.

Time&moretime

HSC
Trump is an interesting character who was elected during a time when the American people basically had 'enough'. Recalling an American who commented during Trump's election bid, 'the rest of the world couldn't comprehend how angry we Americans are'. One of the reasons why Hillary couldn't cut through. Trump's base will continue to forgive him for his comments, reminding themselves that hey, its stress, he's taken out of context or maybe didn't articulate himself well enough, feeling overwhelmed. The others like Nancy P aren't going to let this pass. America is really complicated. Their culture is rooted on the idea of Meritocracy which doesn't always work. Some people work very hard but they don't necessarily get rewarded. Are they lesser of a person? Absolutely not. This sentiment is not always shared over there. Its basically survival of the fittest. 🌎

Time&moretime

HSC
Premier accuses teachers' union of wanting kids home indefinitely.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian has accused the NSW Teachers Federation of wanting to keep children home from school indefinitely... Sourced from the Syd Morning Herald Jordan Baker 23 April 2020.

This is so depressing. Students want to return to schools and teachers want to stay home. This partially explains the failing education system.:mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)