Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Would you take a coronavirus vaccine if it was available to you, and if so which would you prefer?

• No

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • Any vaccine

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Pfizer

Votes: 47 30.7%
  • Astra Zeneca

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Already vaccinated with AZ

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Already vaccinated with Pfizer

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • Moderna

• Sputnik

• Janssen

• Novavax

• Total voters

notme123

HSC
tbf china is getting scarier by the minute. ofc nuking it isn't the solution but it needs to be neutered politically (not through violence) because it currently has Australia by the chin economically and can collapse our export sector whenever it feels like it. Actually, it already has barley, wine, and wheat tariffs imposed which can kill agriculture exports.
Not to mention the crimes against humanity itself commits like Muslim reeducation camps, cheap and overexploited (and sometimes child) labour which companies take advantage of, the Uyghur genocide, oh and also the highly tyrannical and draconian social credit system.

HSC
Yes, you def can infect others when double dosed, iirc, its just the risk of doing so is reduced

Hiheyhello

HSC
tbf china is getting scarier by the minute. ofc nuking it isn't the solution but it needs to be neutered politically (not through violence) because it currently has Australia by the chin economically and can collapse our export sector whenever it feels like it. Actually, it already has barley, wine, and wheat tariffs imposed which can kill agriculture exports.
Not to mention the crimes against humanity itself commits like Muslim reeducation camps, cheap and overexploited (and sometimes child) labour which companies take advantage of, the Uyghur genocide, oh and also the highly tyrannical and draconian social credit system.
i mean, you’re not wrong

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Killing millions or even a billion people is not a reasonable response to the pandemic nor to any events in our recent past. Such an act would be a massive crime against humanity.

Further, viruses exist all over the world, they mutate and evolve all over the world, they make leaps between species all over the world. Even if you buy the theories that COVID emerged from the Wuhan Institute, viruses are being studied all over the world and accidents can happen anywhere. MERS was also a coronavirus and did not emerge from China.

Casually suggesting that mass murder of Chinese people by using nuclear weapons is in some way acceptable or preferable to the current pandemic is outrageous and extremely offensive. Do not make such a suggestion again.
when the totalitarian ethno-nationalist imperialist dictatorship known as china becomes the dominant world superpower, you will look back at this post and think of it as rather quaint and naïve

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I’m making the assumption that double doses grant immunity to covid. Are any records of double dose people infecting others?
Depends what you mean by “immunity”. The vaccines are not 100% effective in stopping symptomatic infection altogether to start with. If you inhale the virus particles up your nose even a vaccine boosted immune system isn’t exactly going to get rid of it instantly, so you can still test positive. It takes time for the immune system to detect, react and overcome the replicating virus. During that time you could develop symptoms to infect others. It’s just that in a vaccinated person, that time interval is shorter thus reducing transmissibility (e.g. you are infectious for 2 days instead of say 4 days).

Looking at it statistically, for example Pfizer has roughly a 90% chance of preventing symptomatic infection (which declines over time). The empirical data suggests there is roughly a 50% reduction in chance of transmission when comparing vaccinated to unvaccinated people (which translates to just under halving of the reproductive number).

That means there is still a non-zero chance you could get infected, develop symptoms and infect others. It’s just that it is much lower relative to being unvaccinated.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
That means there is still a non-zero chance you could get infected, develop symptoms and infect others. It’s just that it is much lower relative to being unvaccinated.
Also worth considering that these vaccines were approved on the basis of reducing the chance of hospitalisation or death from a severe case. AZ, Pfizer and Moderna are all very good at that.

dasfas

HSC
I’m making the assumption that double doses grant immunity to covid. Are any records of double dose people infecting others?
Vaccines do not confer sterilising immunity against Delta.

What this means is that if you are double vaccinated and infected with Delta, you still carry a high viral burden, enough to infect others. However, the viral burden is typically lower in double vaccinated vs unvaccinated people.

Additionally, you can still exhibit symptoms, which is what we consider breakthrough cases. Again, the chances of this are several times lower if you are double vaccinated.

Ultimately, you are still very much protected from severe illness/hospitalisation - which is the most important metric.

cosmo 2

the head cheese
HSC
this whole narrative is fucking collapsing all around us and here we are on our insular prison island stuck in this weird alternate reality where outside developments never happen and we never have to consider them ever

give it 5 or so years and i guarantee everything i have ever said will have come to pass if it hasnt already

i am king

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
australia is going to be relatively okay because the rest of the world is going to shit as well

in absolute terms everything everywhere will be worse off

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes that’s true, i was originally thinking I’d wait a few months more but it was based off the assumption that we *might* have better data in only a few months but there’s no guarantee of that either. I guess there’s no guarantee of anything on either sides.

Also, i wasn’t too concerned about the heart inflammation since it’s generally accepted that the heart inflammation is minor and can be resolved, but today I saw a news article linking a NZ woman’s death with pfizer due to heart inflammation, (source:https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58380867.amp) so now I am somewhat concerned. I guess now it feels like a question of, “if there are 1000 skittles in a bowl, and only one of them is known to cause certain death, would you still willingly take one from the bowl?”
Either way, the risks on getting COVID far outweigh the vaccine, but it just feels different with the vaccine since you’re willingly subjecting yourself to the risk, meanwhile COVID is a gamble.
I will eventually get the vaccine, but I just wish we had more time for more data. I suppose at some point, the downsides of lockdown start outweighing the downsides of COVID too but I don’t know if we are close to that point yet or if we could afford to have a few more months.
Are you planning to get it? If not, should unbook sooner rather than later, so someone else gets the opportunity to book.

notme123

HSC
That moment when Kerry Chant mentions the new world order in the 11am press conference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)