• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Dilema with Schooling (1 Viewer)

Would you Stay or Go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lukybear

HSC
I was accepted into a selective school that ranked around 18-35. Now i have a dilema to whethere to go to that school or stay at my public school. Basically theres a few advantages with staying, and few advantages with going. What would you guys do?

Public School:
*Better teachers, apparently my Bio teachers gota a PhD and Chem has wrote a book...
*More resources, ie libray books and stuff, because there are less year 12 to share it with
*Teachers will attend with greater care, less students +better students
*More opportunities, ie captain

Selective School:
*Better competition
*Better socially, i know, says alot about my life
*and strangely thats it...

Booth schools are pretty much the same distance from home, 10min walk. Also I know scaling wont matter that much if you stick to the top, especially with rank 1, so that dosent matter.

Are there any other advantages/deterents i forgot to mention? And would you stay or go?

dp624

HSC
Lukybear said:
I was accepted into a selective school that ranked around 18-35. Now i have a dilema to whethere to go to that school or stay at my public school. Basically theres a few advantages with staying, and few advantages with going. What would you guys do?

Public School:
*Better teachers, apparently my Bio teachers gota a PhD and Chem has wrote a book...
*More resources, ie libray books and stuff, because there are less year 12 to share it with
*Teachers will attend with greater care, less students +better students
*More opportunities, ie captain

Selective School:
*Better competition
*Better socially, i know, says alot about my life
*and strangely thats it...

Booth schools are pretty much the same distance from home, 10min walk. Also I know scaling wont matter that much if you stick to the top, especially with rank 1, so that dosent matter.

Are there any other advantages/deterents i forgot to mention? And would you stay or go?
If those are the benefits and disadv, I'd stay. you'd get to keep your current social network so yea.

Zephyrio

HSC
dp624 said:
If those are the benefits and disadv, I'd stay. you'd get to keep your current social network so yea.
Agreed.

I don't want to sound immodest or something, but honestly, I was accepted into two top ten selective schools but turned them down. Instead, I graduated from a top fifty school (which is good no less), and got captain, dux, $4800 in money and the opportunity to extend myself in ways I'd never thought possible through being given such great opportunities. Take it from me - I do not regret not moving. At all.

Also, I've always thought of "competition" being a double-edged sword. Some thrive in that environment, some don't. And frankly, anyone can excel, anywhere. Public or selective. If you are motivated, you will do well.

Last edited:

Lukybear

HSC
Yea thats what i thought, but parental pressure these days...

hoschke118

HSC
Based only on people who came to my selective school this year i would recommend you go there. It's true that if your motivated you'll do fine anyway but a selective school is sure to help. It will be much more competitive which should motivate you more but some people just prefer to be top of their year all the time.
Of the 20 or so people that came to our school this year, 4-5 have gone back to their old one because of the pressure, but the rest are loving it.
Another thing is, if you go there and hate it, then you can always go back to your old school. Hope this helps!

lilredelmo

HSC
Yea..you can always go back to the non selective BUT is harder to change into the selective!
Who said the teachers aren't good at the selective??I have found that the teachers at mine( I think the one you are thinking of attending)are also VERY motivated to achieve the best results possible and competition exists among them too!
I was at a selective,nowhere near the top and did NOT find it a super competitive,nasty,backstabbing ,nerdy environment.My school was FUN and just so comfortable and safe without all the dropkicks there who didn't want to learn!We were treated as adults and trusted and nurtured all through school.No bullying,no theft,no crap going and everyone was encouraged by the students and staff to excel in their chosen field(1 guy awesome at Opera could perform and we all appreciate his talent).My chosen field was sport and we did well in all sports and the school was proud and recognised my achievments!

I say SELECTIVE cos it's just so caring and you don't have to battle the prospect of taunting for being a worker.I went to Penrith High and LOVED it.Have an awesome group of friends..some who will get 99+ and others like me!

Last edited:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
I went to Penrith aswell and was form a Public school, from my experience if you ply yourself you can do just aswell at your current school.

Also what selective school are you looking to go to: sefton, bexley, penrith, girra...?

But if you also need the motivation, etc, i'd say go to a selective school.

Last edited:

Lukybear

HSC
thinking of goign to sydney tech... its not bad. But if it was sydney boys then hands down i would go, but...

Orginially i didnt plan to go, but parents are so hard to convince now days. Now ive convinced them, i am not sure i want to stay...

But teachers wise, hands down, our schools got the best teachers around.

dp624

HSC
Lukybear said:
thinking of goign to sydney tech... its not bad. But if it was sydney boys then hands down i would go, but...

Orginially i didnt plan to go, but parents are so hard to convince now days. Now ive convinced them, i am not sure i want to stay...

But teachers wise, hands down, our schools got the best teachers around.
Stay then. Syd tech is a good school, sure, but i've always had an aversion to single-sex schools. you'r emaking a very good decision

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
You haven't been to that school yet. What do you know about teachers there? Or even resources they provide?

If you are happy with your environment and don't want to detach yourself from your peers, I say don't bother moving to another school.

If you are really capable of a particular UAI, you would probably get it no matter where you are.

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
Unless you are happy with your environment and don't want to detach yourself from your peers, I say don't bother moving to another school.
Does this make sense? The UNLESS makes it weird

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Does this make sense? The UNLESS makes it weird
I changed it the moment I wrote that. Yeah, I don't think when I write at a very fast pace.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Lukybear... what's the rank of your current school anyways?

Doubt you'd find Sydney Tech better socially. They're rubiks cube obsessed nobs, who swarm through Hurstville shops/the 452 bus twice daily, and seemingly multiply at alarming rates.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
wixxy2348 said:

Doubt you'd find Sydney Tech better socially. They're rubiks cube obsessed nobs, who swarm through Hurstville shops/the 452 bus twice daily, and seemingly multiply at alarming rates.
lol, some of them are okay...

If the teachers at your current school are really good, then you should probably stay.

Lukybear

HSC
wixxy2348 said:

lol think you just described intellectual rabbits.

Socially its gota be better then my school, they at least have st george girls and plus we didnt even have a formal for yr 10.

Last edited:

Lukybear

HSC
lyounamu said:
You haven't been to that school yet. What do you know about teachers there? Or even resources they provide?

If you are really capable of a particular UAI, you would probably get it no matter where you are.
Teachers are definately better, apparently all chem students in tech goes to my chemistry teacher for tutoring. Resources wise, the student at our school shall i say isnt very motivated, and takes nothing.

And thxs for the encouragement, i just hope it will be true to form.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Go.
I went to a selective school and they're fucking ace.

Lukybear

HSC
Really mixed advices, but thanks anywaz...

Yea i did accept but i want to decline now, since you revealed the state of the science department.

thxs guys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)