• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you believe in God? (3 Viewers)

Do you believe in God?

• Total voters

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Do you believe is God?

There could be a batman. I just don't know. - Agnostic

I consider myself as a human rather than an atheist because humans can think and reason. Therefore by thinking and reasoning, religion is absolutely full of bullshit. The God idea may still hold but its unnecessary because we already know he doesn't give a shit even if he existed.

SO I don't give a shit about respecting their views, I just see them as stupid no matter how academically smart they are.

Debate with me about religion and I can assure you that the holy texts are just plain fucking stupid and clearly PURELY man-made.

I'm sorry but it's so hard to take you seriously when the best argument you can come up with is "no no no religion is false, I won't respect religious peoples views because religious texts are man made I don't care what you say".

Elaborate?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

an idiotic theist pisses me off, but nothing pisses me off more than a rambling agnostic/atheist ie hydrorage

you have not provided any kind of argument or point other than 'religion is bs k'

sinophile

HSC
N/A

an idiotic theist pisses me off, but nothing pisses me off more than a rambling agnostic/atheist ie hydrorage

you have not provided any kind of argument or point other than 'religion is bs k'
if you reverse the word god you get dog

QED!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Sounds like you're more agnostic, instead of a definite Atheist as Atheism is the position of rejection of gods, whereas agnosticism is the view that there may be deities but not necessarily proof of the fact.
Agnostic Atheist is what I am. You're referring to a gnostic atheist, which I find a difficult position to hold, simply for the fact that we don't know everything, and it's drawing an absolute. I do think though that, as a general position, there is enough contradictory evidence to make the assumption that the Muslim, Judeo-Christian, Norse, Hindu etc. does not exist. This is not a position of gnosticism though. It does not mean that a god does not exist, just that the probability is extremely unlikely

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

10 commandments is clearly bullshit. no mention of rape, slavery, etc. god is apparently jealous. a trait humans dislike about.
the holy texts contain so much (you can't count) murder, god approved genocides, etc.

I need to go to sleep.
THERE ARE SO MUCH MORE!

They are so flawed, i say 100% sure that is wasn't made by (or at least administered by) a divine intelligent perfect being. or maybe it was, and it thought its creations, the humans were stupid.
I really don't feel like going into a debate about objective morality, so I will just say those are not very valid points. You don't seem to be able to support your views in a strong way (read Absolutezeros posts if you're unsure about what I mean).

Stressfull

HSC

(some1 passing away is not the same as some1 getting killed...and if god really is all powerful whats the point using an earthquake to kill them and destroying millions of lives in the process, why not just kill them)

Sorry for the delayed reply.
The person im talkin about was also a young innocent boy who had a whole life ahead of him but was tragically killed in the outcome of a careless driver, i was gobsmacked when i found out and all i could think at the time was why?? why would this happen to him?? he was a beautiful boy who never hurt no one what did he do to deserve to die?? but that is the instant things we say without rational thought. Later on i began to contemplate that indeed to God we belong and to him is our return, this is what i constantly said to the boys mother as she was distressed, i would keep on tellin her that it was written for your son to die ever since he was in your womb, keep your reliance on god and pray that he enters the highest of paradises. But she'd still keep on tellin me why? why my son?
Logically thinking, without sicknesses we would not appreciate health, without death we would not appreciate life, without poor people we would not appreciate wealth and without destruction we would not appreciate living in a peaceful country like Australia. I thank and pray god for every minute i am alive so we must use our time wisely, i have come across many arrogant people who say but science says this and that, well heres a news flash What science has come to discover recently has been stated from over 1400 years ago in many religious texts.
I would like to leave you all with this video, which i found relevent to this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7a7ywCJ65Y&feature=related

Please do forgive me if i have offended anyone for indeed it was not my intention.

Last edited:

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

Ok, lets get into the logic point of view. religious people believe there is a god who intervenes and helps in every way. I say if god really did help, there wouldn't be poor people around the world. If he can read the future, it would likely mean that prayers would be useless since people in japan were deemed to suffer anyway. Would he alter the future just for sake of your prayers?
This is not what Christians believe, as I'm sure is the case with some other major religions.

Then muslims would argue that god gave it as a test for those who are lucky enough, to see if they would help people. I say what test was given to poor people? to find food themselves?

It has been 1400 years since the establishment of islam and there are so many poor people in this world, yet there are so many rich muslims around the world. So have everyone almost failed the test? So everyone goes to hell?
I'm not Muslim and since you're not talking about the views of Christianity in this point, I'm going to let someone else field it.

This comes to the idea of a hell. This idea simply encourages me to reject religion. We alone, try and convince those who have done bad, to do good. We don't recommend torture, yet hell is full of torture. I wouldn't believe a god is even more cruel than me and would like to torture those without trying to do his best to make them good? so to say, even if God was true and was an abrahamic god, I would still hate him.
Apply logic, who rules hell? God or Satan? If Satan rules hell, wouldn't he admire those who helped him? If God rules hell, would he make an attempt to make the people there good?
So what you're saying is religion is false because you hate the idea of hell.

Here is the point, miracles! Creation of the world and us is already a miracle. There is simply no need to make more miracles. Also, why doesn't he make miracles now? If it was because of faith, why miracles before? Ok, if Jesus healed someone's eyesight, why not heal blindness?
Why does Jesus owe you anything?

So simply to say, religion is indeed bullshit. If you wanted to argue with me that religion helps people, then here it is.
If the basic foundation of religion is entirely based on the holy texts, then no one would follow it. Indeed no one I've seen know the entire bible. Of course, people present the best (good) side of religion. This comes in the psalms, verses, etc. If you take out god in them, it would still have a enormous effect. So where is the power of God? Religion is the belief that God is there to help. If God simply doesn't care, religion has no basis of anything then. Religion then is simply a psychological effect, just as poems and literature of other kinds can do as well.
This is not the foundation of RELIGION. It is also not the foundation of Christianity (as you've put it). I would suggest you read up about what you're arguing against.

Just to say, if you were raised up without the knowledge that religion existed, would you come up with the idea of god in era of today? I don't think so. If you came across the bible, would you say, 'OH THIS MAKES SENSE, HEY LOOK, THE WATER TURNED INTO WINE ACTUALLY HAPPENED'? NO, you wouldn't. So where is that soothing and magical effect that God brought upon the bible?
What soothing and magical effect? I've never heard of this in my entire life until you just brought it up.

Oh damn it. I grew up with Christian views. I simply thought the idea of putting your head down when praying was odd. I did question quite a lot of the things we did. But I didn't question the bible itself.
??

You want to know what made me entirely reject religion? I was searching for Hitler on google. I went to a website that said there was a film with hitler in it. When i was about to get out of this website, there was sound of 'This is the Sun'. Well i was interested in the sun so I went and have a look. It talked about how Jesus was simply a myth gone viral. The movie was 'Zeitgeist - The Movie' I usually don't wear headphones while browsing the web. So was this a miracle? I was searching for hitler and was wearing a headphone. After that I simply questioned and questioned and questioned. All of that form the ideas i have now. It has been one year only. I have a lot to aquire.
What?

And by questioning, I also questioned the movie itself, and I thought some of its ideas were kind of wrong. I don't commit myself to one side. I simply work based on what I have thought about carefully. And the idea of religion simply doesn't hold.

I didn't proof check this, I need to go and study calculus... so read and comment all you like.
That is your opinion, but you have just written all that without actually backing it up. Look at Absolutezero's posts. When he makes a claim or a point, he backs it up. You have not done this, and it is therefore hard to take you seriously. Sorry.

LonelyWolf

HSC

wow, 14 people believe in God? fuckwits...

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

a facebook friend's note said:
A conversation between the lord and Adam.

The Creator: Now that you had disobeyed me by eating from the Tree of Conscience you are banished from the Garden of Eden and will experience death when the time I feel is right for you.

Adam: Pardon me, Sir. But how was I supposed to know that eating from The Tree was wrong in order to refrain from doing so before obtaining the knowledge of good and evil, which could only be achieved from eating from The Tree?

The Creator: Silence! You have no authority to question my will and wisdom.

Adam: Please Sir, would you not show me some mercy?

The Creator: I could have killed you immediately after you ate from The Tree. But I chose not to until you have gone through years of hardship and agony. Am I not merciful enough?

Adam: Will you not forgive me, Sir?

The Creator: I will forgive you by crucifying my only Son.

Adam: Great! Err... What does the term "crucify" mean?

The Creator: It's a verb. It means "put someone to death by nailing or binding them to a cross".

Adam: Gosh! Why would you kill your son in order to forgive me?

The Creator: So that you would feel guiltier for what you have done to my beloved Tree.

Adam: Err... fine. If that's the only way I can be saved by you and from you, so be it. I am waiting.

The Creator: Good. I'll do it in a few thousand years' time.

Adam: But why, Sir?

The Creator: Because the cross is yet to be invented, you fool.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

so much idiocy ITT on both sides

umz93

HSC

Then muslims would argue that god gave it as a test for those who are lucky enough, to see if they would help people. I say what test was given to poor people? to find food themselves?
It has been 1400 years since the establishment of islam and there are so many poor people in this world, yet there are so many rich muslims around the world. So have everyone almost failed the test? So everyone goes to hell?
I am a muslim who was born and raised in Australia and islam basically says that if the rich muslims are not helping out the poor PEOPLE (not just muslims) around the world they will be punished for it in the hereafter.
If anyone else wants to know about TRUTH about islam you can always pm me :)

Cianyx

Planarian Leader
HSC

can i be angsty teenage atheist too?

HSC
Uni Grad

so much idiocy ITT on both sides
Agreed.

These discussions are good for learning about people and how different people see shit but omg when someone like hydro comes and aids the place up with his smelly green aids machine it's just gross.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A

considering how laughably false religion is you have to be pretty dumb to screw up arguing against it that badly

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

Smelly green aids machines are scary.

ibbi00

HSC

HydroRage, you make absolutely no sense. Please attempt to word your posts better so that we can respond to whatever on earth you think you're talking about.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

I am a muslim who was born and raised in Australia and islam basically says that if the rich muslims are not helping out the poor PEOPLE (not just muslims) around the world they will be punished for it in the hereafter.
It's very easy to focus on the good things religion does, and ignore the bad. Make sure you consider the full extent of both before settling on, and certainly before preaching, a particular religion as truth.

smartalec

HSC

God never ceases to shed white light on my, his divine power assists me in the good and bad times, provides me with a sense of calmness. An amazing being.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)