Do you believe in the existence of Extraterrestrial life? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in the existence of Extraterrestrial life outside planet earth?

• Yes.

Votes: 69 79.3%
  • No.

Votes: 18 20.7%

• Total voters

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Re: do you believe in the existence of Extraterrestrial life outside planet earth?

Tully B. said:
Yeah (to the extraterrestrial question, not the one about alien Jews).
But will the people of Earth ever find that life? Probably not.
Even if it's just an itty bitty amoeba we're talking about here, the chances of their creation are very minute. This improbability is resolved by the vast magnitude of solar systems, of planets, of suns. However, the improbability of the existence of extraterrestrial life within our planet's reach is one that cannot so easily be put aside.
how do you know that?

it could be quite high on any suitable planet, so that microorganisms are common

or it could be sow low that the vast magnitude of planets is still tiny in comparison

georgefren

HSC
Re: do you believe in the existence of Extraterrestrial life outside planet earth?

It's possible. The probabilities are unlikely, but im not going to rule it out.

Anyway the chances of us ever knowing about them if they do exist are tiny. Which means it'll be inconclusive for quite a while.

boris

Banned
HSC

The probabilities are likely not unlikely

bshoc

HSC
N/A

I think time is a larger factor compared to space, given the age/duration of the universe and the average length of the life of a certain animal or species within the big picture.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC

yes and no - i believe there are different organisms out there that would be suited for a particular environment in the universe, however i dont believe in ultra smart high tech 'aliens'.

aimhigh10

HSC

electrolysis said:
yes and no - i believe there are different organisms out there that would be suited for a particular environment in the universe, however i dont believe in ultra smart high tech 'aliens'.

i agree

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

"I'll tell you one thing about the universe, though. The universe is a pretty big place. It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us... seems like an awful waste of space. Right?"

""There are 400 billion stars out there, just in our galaxy alone. If just one out of a million of those had planets, and just one in a million of those had life, and just one out of a million of those had intelligent life, there would be literally millions of civilizations out there." (Mathematically incorrect, but eh).

<3 Contact.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC

IDK eh? I accept that the most basic of lifeforms are probably out there all across the universe but I don’t think we have any strong reason to believe that there are other intelligent civilizations out there nor that there definitely aren’t.

If the only forms of life which are possible are roughly similar to those on our planet, if small differences in the makeup and history of a planet would have rather drastic effects on the chance of life surviving then I believe this starts to make it less likely than some would want us to believe that there is other intelligent life. Take for instance... if there was intelligent life somewhere in our galaxy or more within the past... idk... billions of years that our galaxy has existed. Where are their radio signals? Where are the signs of this civilization? If I’m to believe that in the billions of years our galaxy and others we’ve attempted to scan through have not transmitted any sort of radio waves it starts to make me feel it’s less likely that these civilizations existed and therefore that there are others existing now.

If it turns out that what is required for a civilization as advanced as our own to exist is something which is almost a clone of earth and nothing else... well there may be trillions of planets out there but finding one that's so extremely similar and hasn't had any/so many of the massive disasters which easily could have wiped out life on our planet ehhhh it becomes a harder problem.

I don’t think we have any positive evidence either way in favour of the existence of other intelligent civilizations. What I do think humans have is a core desire for there to be something else out there.

This guy was in before me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

Last edited:

bshoc

HSC
N/A

Enteebee said:
Take for instance... if there was intelligent life somewhere in our galaxy or more within the past... idk... billions of years that our galaxy has existed. Where are their radio signals? Where are the signs of this civilization? If I’m to believe that in the billions of years our galaxy and others we’ve attempted to scan through have not transmitted any sort of radio waves it starts to make me feel it’s less likely that these civilizations existed and therefore that there are others existing now.
The latest research suggests that all of the readio, television etc. signals that have ever left Earth lose enough energy to become indiscernible from background noise before they even reach our closest star, Proxima Centauri.

rasengan90

HSC

You should change the title. Extraterrestrial means outside of earth. Where else would extraterrestrial life be but outside earth?

Gerald10

HSC

pedantic much?

rasengan90

HSC

Gerald10 said:
pedantic much?
lol not really. He tried to be all smart by saying Extraterrestrial but he didn't know what it meant and used it wrong. Could have just said life outside earth :)

enterspacebar

HSC
N/A

*starts playing the X-Files theme song*

WE ARE NOT ALONE

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A

Distinction subject, like epic. ^

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is."

Yes, of course there's other forms of life out there. We just don't know about them because they're (probably) not in the general vicinity of our solar system. There's probably other life forms hanging out over the other side of the universe for all we know.

jennieTalia

HSC
I was pleasantly surprised to read a thread where people actually considered the existance of extraterrestrial life from a logical mindset rather than a "conspiracy" one.
Although, both hold quite a lot of interesting factors.

I think that there must be other life out there. I know that is quite a general and sweeping statement, but I just can't see a POINT otherwise. Maybe that's just my own mind thinking crap, but we can't be alone... surely?

You would imagine that out of all of the planets... at least one other would be able to sustain life? That's assuming that the life forms that might be on other planets even have the same needs as those on ours. Life is anything if not adaptable.

Then again, I'm not a scientific person.

bshoc- Awesome dp btw, not bad music!

Ak0ona-Matata

HSC
PERHAPS.
they either don't exist - other wise they would've made contact.
OR
they exist - BUT are an inferior 'race' to us and not the media stereotyped geniuses they are made out to be.

adios. :rudolf:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)