Votes: 329 69.9%
  • No

Votes: 142 30.1%

• Total voters

dp624

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Do you like maths?

Iruka said:
Yep - even if you solve 'em using Laplace transforms you still get the characteristic polynomial popping out and you need to know how to solve it.

Actually, I am constantly being impressed by just how much you do use what you learn in senior high schools maths later on. e.g., you need to know all about partial fractions if you want to invert a Laplace transform.

I have been learning about Lyapunov functions this weekend (which is a thing that you use when analyzing a dynamical system to show whether an equilibrium point is stable or unstable) - remember all that stuff about positive definite and negative definite quadratics? Well, you need to know that terminology to understand how a Lyapunov function works.
Wow sounds complex.

Rainie

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Do you like maths?

I hate maths, but don't mind everyday maths (e.g. Consumerism mathematics?). The simplest form of mathematics is alright, which is from Year 6-7 maths?

dp624

HSC
Cinnamonster said:
I hate maths. I hate maths so very, very much.
But I'm good at it so I won't drop general maths. It's easy marks with little to absolutely no effort.
But I still hate it.

I forgot to mention that it's also mindboggingly boring too.
If you're good at maths you really should be doing at least MX1 in my opinion.
Depends on how 'good' good is

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
dp624 said:
If you're good at maths you really should be doing at least MX1 in my opinion.
Depends on how 'good' good is
Good at general 'good'. They're different sorts of maths. I'd fail epically at extension. Extension is for people who like maths.
My teacher said I should've been doing 2U (which is also for people who like maths). I said no because I wouldn't have done the work anyway. I'd take a general class, do hardly any work and get good marks rather than take the advanced class, do hardly any work and get really crap marks.

HSC
Cinnamonster said:
Good at general 'good'. They're different sorts of maths. I'd fail epically at extension. Extension is for people who like maths.
My teacher said I should've been doing 2U (which is also for people who like maths). I said no because I wouldn't have done the work anyway. I'd take a general class, do hardly any work and get good marks rather than take the advanced class, do hardly any work and get really crap marks.
i hate maths & im doing extension because im good at it & i know i can score marks that way..

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
possessionless said:
i hate maths & im doing extension because im good at it & i know i can score marks that way..
thats why i took extension english.
btw i love maths.:haha:

HSC
hollyy. said:
thats why i took extension english.
btw i love maths.:haha:
ahhh i love english <3 <3
i dropped ext. english at the end of the prelim year though cos the texts my teacher chose were soooooooooo bad!

Last edited:

Schoey93

HSC
lyounamu said:
Every single word of that work by Lockhart touched me.

I guess I am the perfect example who perceived HSC maths to be the "true" maths...when I look back at what I have learnt this year, I don't think I solved question through thinking on an abstract level. I barely delved into the question, merely solved the question one by one hoping to understand.

In my opinion, there is hardly any space in hsc maths for students to provide any innovative way to come about solving the problem except the 4 unit mats which seems to reinforce that notion in some ways.

HSC is too dry and even maths relies on progressive memory. And that's the problem with maths such as general, 2 unit and 3 unit...

I personally like this abstract:

Now let me be clear about what I’m objecting to. It’s not about formulas, or memorizing interesting facts. That’s fine in context, and has its place just as learning a vocabulary does— it helps you to create richer, more nuanced works of art. But it’s not the
fact that triangles take up half their box that matters. What matters is the beautiful idea of chopping it with the line, and
how that might inspire other beautiful ideas and lead to creative breakthroughs in other problems— something a mere statement of fact can never give you.
Do you mean the HSC overall or HSC maths?
I've started to read Lockhart's A Mathematician's Lament and it's quite interesting. I've never thought of maths as an art. I didn't think maths was really much more than memorising formulas and applying them. To work a formula out for yourself would be more interesting. Part of what he's written confuses me, though. "People... are apparently under the gross misconception that mathematics is somehow useful to society!" Isn't maths useful to society? What does Lockhart mean?
Maybe I should keep reading.

georgefren

HSC
I dont hate it, but I dislike maths. I'm doing 3 units because im not THAT bad and it scales decently and makes a good backup subject. It's just such a ... boring subject.

English is good, I like english. Plus I've always felt more consistent getting marks in english then maths for some reason.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
If you want to really appreciate the beauty and elegance of Maths "as an art form", I strongly advise you take Extension 2.

That being said, I don't think there's anything majorly wrong with the HSC syllabus for 2 unit and Extension 1 at the moment. It's just about the way it's being taught in some schools which may be a bit of a problem. Unfortunately, most teachers write out a formula and expect you to memorise and use it without the slightest clue about where it came from. Too many times there are teachers who go "here's the formula for finding the volume of a solid of revolution now let's do these examples...".

I was lucky enough to have a teacher who basically derived every formulae in the course from scratch (that's what teachers are SUPPOSED to do according to the syllabus) and it really made me appreciate maths much more than I did before, because I realised these useful formulae are not just magic calculators as most perceived them to be but actually come from basic fundamental concepts and derived by some clever mathematical geniuses into a very useful tool.

The Extension 2 course has much more focus on deriving the formulae, rather than just memorising them. A good example is the contrast between Volumes in Extension 1 and Volumes in Extension 2. In Extension 1, you're usually expected to remember that V = π∫ y² dx is the magic formula to find the volume of an area rotated about the x-axis.

However, in Extension 2 you learn that this formula comes from slicing the volume into very small circular discs of thickness δx, each having a small volume δV = πy²δx (i.e. the area of circle times its thickness). The total approximate volume comes from summing these slices:
V ~ Σ πy²δx,
and the exact volume arises when the thickness becomes infinitely small, so
V = limδx --> 0Σ πy²δx
and this is the definition of an integral which gives the
V = π∫ y² dx
formula you are made to memorise in Extension 1

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
If you want to really appreciate the beauty and elegance of Maths "as an art form", I strongly advise you take Extension 2.

That being said, I don't think there's anything majorly wrong with the HSC syllabus for 2 unit and Extension 1 at the moment. It's just about the way it's being taught in some schools. Unfortunately, most teachers write out a formula and expect you to memorise and use it without the slightest clue about where it came from. Too many times there are teachers who go "here's the formula for finding the volume of a solid of revolution now let's do these examples...".

I was lucky enough to have a teacher who basically derived every formulae in the course from scratch (that's what teachers are SUPPOSED to do according to the syllabus) and it really made me appreciate maths much more than I did before, because I realised these useful formulae are not just magic calculators as most perceived them to be but actually come from basic fundamental concepts and derived by some clever mathematical geniuses into a very useful tool.

The Extension 2 course has much more focus on deriving the formulae, rather than just memorising them. A good example is the contrast between Volumes in Extension 1 and Volumes in Extension 2. In Extension 1, you're usually expected to remember that V = π∫ y² dx is the magic formula to find the volume of an area rotated about the x-axis.
However, in Extension 2 you learn that this formula comes from slicing the volume into very small discs of thickness δx, each having a small volume δV = πy²δx. The total approximate volume comes from summing these slices: V ~ Σ πy²δx, and the exact volume arises when the thickness becomes infinitely small, so
V = limδx --> 0Σ πy²δx
V = π∫ y² dx
Absolutely agreed!

That's why I don't appreciate my current maths teacher!

I cannot learn properly. I need to learn everything myself from scratch.

His explanation to most difficult derivation of formula: "too complicated for you guys to understand" or "you don't need to know how to derive it" or "it's just the way it is" or "we don't have time"

omg, 4 unit is useless without a decent teaching.

Schoey93

HSC
I've got some questions. If you could help me, I'd appreciate it. Is there anything wrong with the current General Maths syllabus (maybe there is because the BOS is introducing new syllabi)? More importantly, is General Maths worthwhile?

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Mathematics carves both nature and the human mind at their 'joints' - and rocks my socks in the process.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Schoey93 said:
I've got some questions. If you could help me, I'd appreciate it. Is there anything wrong with the current General Maths syllabus (maybe there is because the BOS is introducing new syllabi)? More importantly, is General Maths worthwhile?
its up to you.
its really easy...

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: Re: Do you like maths?

Iruka said:
Yep - even if you solve 'em using Laplace transforms you still get the characteristic polynomial popping out and you need to know how to solve it.

Actually, I am constantly being impressed by just how much you do use what you learn in senior high schools maths later on. e.g., you need to know all about partial fractions if you want to invert a Laplace transform.

I have been learning about Lyapunov functions this weekend (which is a thing that you use when analyzing a dynamical system to show whether an equilibrium point is stable or unstable) - remember all that stuff about positive definite and negative definite quadratics? Well, you need to know that terminology to understand how a Lyapunov function works.
It is a real godsend that methods required to solve maths problems in university are strikingly similar to high school but I've been worried those days are numbered.

dp624 said:
Wow sounds complex.
2nd year mathematics/engineering majors and beyond.
wen i started 2unit maths i struggled a bit, now its pretty cool especially with uni maths.

Trebla said:

That being said, I don't think there's anything majorly wrong with the HSC syllabus for 2 unit and Extension 1 at the moment. It's just about the way it's being taught in some schools which may be a bit of a problem. Unfortunately, most teachers write out a formula and expect you to memorise and use it without the slightest clue about where it came from. Too many times there are teachers who go "here's the formula for finding the volume of a solid of revolution now let's do these examples...".

I was lucky enough to have a teacher who basically derived every formulae in the course from scratch (that's what teachers are SUPPOSED to do according to the syllabus) and it really made me appreciate maths much more than I did before, because I realised these useful formulae are not just magic calculators as most perceived them to be but actually come from basic fundamental concepts and derived by some clever mathematical geniusaes into a very useful tool.

However, in Extension 2 you learn that this formula comes from slicing the volume into very small circular discs of thickness δx, each having a small volume δV = πy²δx (i.e. the area of circle times its thickness). The total approximate volume comes from summing these slices:
V ~ Σ πy²δx,
and the exact volume arises when the thickness becomes infinitely small, so
V = limδx --> 0Σ πy²δx
V = π∫ y² dx
why .... why did i NOT take extension 2 during the hsc.
ive been struggling to fully grasp some form of illustration of the summation of shapes as integrals.
for engineers, 2nd moment of area/moment of inertia reminds you of this?

overRun

HSC
I like maths, its very fun and challenging Mx2 very fun, MX1 also fun

And i also like English, it can be frustrating and confusing but i like it anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)