Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

Liyo

HSC
My teacher said they won't deduct marks for two related text. He said they just won't read the second one. phew* ah..wasted my time >_<

SSRabbitohs2009

28:06:42:12
HSC
I think it is absolutely frakking stupid that it said "ONE" because the syllabus says you need 2 supplementry texts.
I wrote 2 anyway. The douches can read it, and not mark it. I answered the question though, and I hope that they reflect one the vast number of people that wrote about 2.
I am going to jump and get those notes when they're on the board of studies and see if it's mentioned.

PaulFrankkie

HSC
It wouldn't be very fair if they take your best one since you get two shots at it.

I don't think there's anyway around it. Either they mark your first one and disregard your second completely, or you lose marks.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
your mean tommy :(.. well as you can see I'm slightly frustrated... and I did have knowledge on the texts, just not enough to write another paragraph of the same related text
i dno i thought you'd kids understand by now that hsc english is just bullshitting.

regurgitate the shit you did throughout the year :S

Yeah well at least that person had correct grammar.

People are being pretty harsh.

I used two related texts. Assumed the question would be "at least one". Of course that was my mistake but it wasn't cause i "couldn't read".
oh noes, one grammatical mistake in an online forum. kill me please.
but yeah you can't read. soz.

graiiciiee

HSC
i did my hsc without prepared essay. i winged it if anything. only knew 4-5 quotes at most th

how about don't prepare an essay next time and actually learn how to construct an essay with your obviously in depth knowledge of your texts.

i'd be too if i can't read.

you're too cool tommy<3 so cool that i followed your footsteps this year LOL

Kikkoman

HSC
My question, to all those that wrote two, is this:
How will they decide which one to overlook? The one you write about second? It would be a bit weird if you have your essay based on two ideas; both of which are seen in your prescribed, then one of which that is in one related, and the other of which, is in the second related. Hence, how would they choose which one to overlook? It all seemed a bit iffy to me, and rather risky.

Hence, I only did one. Better to do what the question asks. They can't dock anyone for that.

ashllis92

HSC
Say this was a maths peper (stay with me on this one) and the question was 1+4. The answer is 5. No matter how many people wrote 6 the answer is 5. Same applies here, just because half the state it looks like wrote about 2 related texts doesn't mean that you won't get a lower mark, half the state will get a lower mark. This is what this question was designed to do. It said one and by writing about two you are not fulfilling the requirements of the task. If they mark both texts then the people who had to try and chop their essays to only have the one text would be disadvantaged for doing as they were told. Not very fair.

tonyharrison

HSC
Say this was a maths peper (stay with me on this one) and the question was 1+4. The answer is 5. No matter how many people wrote 6 the answer is 5. Same applies here, just because half the state it looks like wrote about 2 related texts doesn't mean that you won't get a lower mark, half the state will get a lower mark. This is what this question was designed to do. It said one and by writing about two you are not fulfilling the requirements of the task. If they mark both texts then the people who had to try and chop their essays to only have the one text would be disadvantaged for doing as they were told. Not very fair.

We still wrote ONE. We just wrote another for good measure :p
The question didn't say "only one" therefore we still fulfilled the requirements :)
I think they'll only consider the first, disregard the second and we lose marks by wasting time.

xxheersaletixx

TERI MAA :)
HSC
i debated with myself quite alot but then finally decided to go with ONE. and WTF with the essay question!!

im soooo SCARED for paper 2 now!!

AJ92

HSC
The question was evidently designed to sort between those who could write an essay on the spot, and had true depth of knowledge of both their prescribed and related texts, those who could therefore extend their work and rely on more than memorising.
As for what will happen - it isnt possible that marks will be deducted, as such, for example "oh it was a 15 but they took away 3 so now its a 12".
It is more likely that one of two things will occur - either the essay will move down a band/move down in the band it's in for not having understood the requirements of the question, or alternatively the second related text will not be regarded whatsoever. Either way, it is likely to have some negative effect, but nothing drastic :)

Nª!j∂♫

HSC
just read the question!
i think it's pretty simple: you answer the question-- following ALL aspects and requirements of it,
and you get the marks.
the question said "using one prescribed text and ONE other text of your choosing"
or something very close to that.

they even capitalised it for us!
i wouldn't stress too much.. they almost definitely will deduct marks, but it won't be too far from your original mark.

it was a bit of a relief for me, actually.. i had a crap related, and a good one..
so i was given the opportunity to cull one :]
still could've written a MUCH better essay, but still..

jules.09

HSC
It wouldn't be very fair if they take your best one since you get two shots at it.

I don't think there's anyway around it. Either they mark your first one and disregard your second completely, or you lose marks.
Makes sense.

+1

Although, I feel sorry for those who didn't realise and did two.

As for all the other comments, no you don't need to memorise essays. You need to remember strong arguments and quotes, address the question and yeah...

Norcinu

Charliezard
HSC
They won't be deducting marks if you put in more than one related material. I as stumped and had to ask one of the assistants and they said we won't be marked down for it.

Which related texts of the ones you wrote I'm not sure. They might choose the best one because they would want to give you as many marks as possible :7 However we're not going to know.

AJ92

HSC
tommy - and what did you get for HSC english last year, out of curiosity?

zuperbri

HSC
I'm really worried. I used two related text and didn't realise until the end when my friend said to me how happy she was because it was only one related text. Though I asked a lot of people after the exam and it appears that about 1/3 people did two related texts. I think they should expect that considering we have to prepare for using two related texts and all the previous papers we have done at our school either said use "at least one" or use two related texts. I hope it doesn't bring marks down :(

q3thefish

HSC
Makes sense.

+1

Although, I feel sorry for those who didn't realise and did two.

As for all the other comments, no you don't need to memorise essays. You need to remember strong arguments and quotes, address the question and yeah...
Pity me and my 2 additional texts.

heli.copter

HSC
i did my hsc without prepared essay. i winged it if anything. only knew 4-5 quotes at most th
not everyone can wing their exams. and the board doesnt actually condemn people who memorise essays, its how you can integrate it into the question. its actually quite narrow minded of you to think that everyone else can do that.

how about don't prepare an essay next time and actually learn how to construct an essay with your obviously in depth knowledge of your texts.
preparing an essay doesn mean youll just regurgitate it in the exam. stop being a fuckwit to the people who do prepare exams. state rankers prepare essays, and they do know how to construct essays in depth.

i'd be too if i can't read.
honestly, thats just sad.

bos suck. every year they put in this. and i doubt they would take off marks if you wrote two related, just disregard the others. ahh well :) paper one. and oh the people who did do one related, honestly, lets not be the fucktard and make the peeople who did two related, feeel like shit.

its kind of lame. and no one likes you.

:) goodluck alll

tonyharrison

HSC
I'm really worried. I used two related text and didn't realise until the end when my friend said to me how happy she was because it was only one related text. Though I asked a lot of people after the exam and it appears that about 1/3 people did two related texts. I think they should expect that considering we have to prepare for using two related texts and all the previous papers we have done at our school either said use "at least one" or use two related texts. I hope it doesn't bring marks down :(
It won't bring your marks down!

I asked my teacher, the person above asked the exam supervisor, another person asked their english teacher.

It's finee!!! Chill haha

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
tommy - and what did you get for HSC english last year, out of curiosity?
band 5, dont remember exam mark.

not everyone can wing their exams. and the board doesnt actually condemn people who memorise essays, its how you can integrate it into the question. its actually quite narrow minded of you to think that everyone else can do that.
yeah they don't condemn them, they catch 'em out. just like they did in this exam.
preparing an essay doesn mean youll just regurgitate it in the exam. stop being a fuckwit to the people who do prepare exams. state rankers prepare essays, and they do know how to construct essays in depth.
that's what separates them from the whingers in this thread don't you think?
bos suck. every year they put in this. and i doubt they would take off marks if you wrote two related, just disregard the others. ahh well paper one. and oh the people who did do one related, honestly, lets not be the fucktard and make the peeople who did two related, feeel like shit.

its kind of lame. and no one likes you.

goodluck alll
wow, i don't get how you're meant to make me empathize with people who did two related texts?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)