Do you play the guitar? (1 Viewer)

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
yeah the solo was never going to sound good on one guitar. the main thing for me was that i thought their parts were merged during the verses

the portnoy vid is about 50 minutes and it is vol1. there are apparently 6 volumes (that i'm downloading). I have a few videos, live in tokyo, 5 years in a LIVEtime and i've borrowed the Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York DVD off a friend. another DVD is rumoured to be coming out sometime soon (here)

yeah I agree, Images & Words is my favourite album by a mile. in ToT I like endless sacrifice at the moment. i was just listening to learning to live (also a mad song)

Last edited:

ND

HSC
That was awesome. Dunno about enough to make me wanna switch to drums though - guitarists get all the attention. :p

The only video (well DVD) of their's i've got is metropolis 2000. The only thing i don't like about is those cheesy clips portnoy put through it. It was cool that they did ACOS.

Yep i agree I&W is their best. I absolutely love every song on it, well except surrounded (i mean it's a decent song, it's just that the others are mindblowing).

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
did you have to import metropolis 2000 like my friend did? apparently they are re-releasing the 5 years and live in tokyo videos together on a dvd as well.

"Live In Tokyo / 5 Years In A LIVEtime" DVD release!
Added on 04-14-2004

Finally, after years of waiting, the first two Dream Theater Home Videos will be re-issued together on DVD. "Dream Theater - Images And Words: Live In Tokyo / 5 Years In A LIVEtime" will be released on June 22nd, 2004. More details coming soon.

Budokan, Tokyo show to be recorded for DVD/CD release!
Added on 04-08-2004

Dream Theater will be recording their show at the Budokan in Tokyo, Japan on April 26th, 2004, for an upcoming Live DVD/CD release.
i agree about the tacky clips, portnoy really should stick to playing drums and not producing dvds.

ND

HSC
Awesome. But is that release date for the USA? If so, it'll mean that we may get it before x-mas... :rolleyes:

Yep my metropolis is the american version. Do you mean to say that it's still not released in aust?!

ND

HSC
I've downloaded Stream of Consciousness and Endless Sacrifice and listened to them quite a number of times. I'm not really impressed... I mean they're cool songs and all, but they're nothing compared to earlier DT (i even liked SFAM much more). They sound too much like 6DoiT (which i really don't like), and i really wasn't impressed with Petrucci's solos. What happened to that killer phrasing of his? It seems he's abondoned it to aimlessly run up and down scales... I got bored of doing that when i was 16... It really does feel (to me at least) that they're going backwards.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
i have no idea how to playthe guitar but i really want to get lessons. so far i know smoke on the water and mary had a little lamb all by myself. would it make much difference if i learn on acoustic or electric?

stuff

I only have three goals planned for my future and one of them is to learn to play an instrument (most likely the guitar) at the end of this year. Chicks with guitars rock (so long as they stay away from country music)

tom_sampson

I'm surprised noone has mentioned Chris Cheney (The Living End) or Angus Young (AC/DC), some of the best rock guitarists Australia has produced. Awesome riffs, great tunes, great styles. But meh, i'm gonna get carried away. I play an Ibanez Gio GRX 40, and have been for the last 2 and a bit years.

First song I learnt was Ben Harper - Walk Away, which is possibly the easiest song I've come across. Hardest is either Metallica - Master of Puppets or AC/DC - Thunderstruck, the solo's in those two still present a fair challenge for me. Anything By Satriani, Dreamtheater, Vai, The Living End, Metallica, AC/DC is worth checking out, try different styles.

Rock on.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
the main reason i want to actually learn guitar is so i can be anything like angus young.

tom_sampson

Yeh that's very understandable, he's incredible. Except for the mullet, that's kinda dirty. But other than that he's awesome.

cyanide

i've been playing for 9 years, and i *still* suck, hahaha...*loses all cred*

stuff

Originally posted by _DeathlessOne_
Brody is the voacalist/guitarist for The Distillers.

Thankyou. I know who the distillers are and now I know who Brody is. I feel enlightened

Thomas_wow

angus youngs mullet is the reason australia is on the world map!

id have mentioned him only i play bass... and he plays guitar... o_O.

btw the talk about not having long fingers... dont worry, i have a student with monster hands but he can barely manage a 3 fret stretch because he is only just beginning and he doesnt like to practice. so just practice.

btw, small hands only prove a problem for bass. i for one can play guitar because my hands are so big, if i try to play chords on guitar my fingers will disturb all the other strings so that it doesnt make a chord... or it makes a "alternative" chord.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Thomas_wow

id have mentioned him only i play bass... and he plays guitar... o_O.

who do you like? flea?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)