Does anyone like English? (1 Viewer)

debaser

HSC
hmm..

english isnt about right or wrong, its about having the competency with the language we speak to express ideas and opinions and argue a case. its more interesting than the black and white world of maths. logic is satisfying, but so is writing a kick ass essay. and yes you can know if you went well, its called being literate. its compulsory because if we lived in a world where everyone had great ideas and couldnt express them or show their importance wed be fucking nowhere wouldnt we.

so go and learn english you arrogant maths nerds. its not very hard, and then maybe youll be able to interact with people and not just numbers.

skepticality

HSC
debaser said:
hmm..

english isnt about right or wrong, its about having the competency with the language we speak to express ideas and opinions and argue a case. its more interesting than the black and white world of maths. logic is satisfying, but so is writing a kick ass essay. and yes you can know if you went well, its called being literate. its compulsory because if we lived in a world where everyone had great ideas and couldnt express them or show their importance wed be fucking nowhere wouldnt we.

so go and learn english you arrogant maths nerds. its not very hard, and then maybe youll be able to interact with people and not just numbers.
u don need to be gd at understanding and analyzin a fkn poem to be able to interact with ppl, ok?

ok, english may be useful in life, in fact i would probably hav to agree that it is useful in life to an extent but Why make it compulsory to count to uai, thats so totally unfair. If thats the case, then y the fk isnt maths compulsory to count to uai huh?

maybe u say if u want to write books for a living, u only need basic maths to live, not sht like inverse hyberbolic functions. ok, i agree fair enough.. and maybe u need to be able to write stuff in every career field there is, even in stuff like actuary? aeronautical engineering? but i sincerely doubt that for those careers, u need to be at ur best in analyzing wat kind of meaningful shit is comin out of some fkn poem

furthermore, i think the new hsc is really english based and literacy based, maybe too much. (eg compulsory english, science subjects reform) whether its gd for the students i dont know, but wat i do noe is that chiks tend to do better in the hsc now because of that reason.
Take physics for example, the old physics syllabus used to basicaly two extra units of maths which i think is appropriate. After the new syllabus came in, everything became how well u can explain the concepts, and that also im fine with. but wat i fail to understand is y the fk was the rotation topic taken out of the physics syllabus to get rid of all the maths im guessing? to screw up all the asians? ok fair enuf, guess thats the case with medicine as well, however that i support cuz i don think its good for the community if every doctor is asian 40 years from now

and also, b4 english was complusory at our school only 50-60 people did 2u english and like 10 did 3u now 200 do advanced and 90 do extension, that probably explains how we dropped from 3rd to 18th in one year..

Moonlite

HSC
Hey, look at it this way: In English, you can make complete crap up and still possibly obtain marks for it. In maths, you can't.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
skepticality said:
u don need to be gd at understanding and analyzin a fkn poem to be able to interact with ppl, ok?

ok, english may be useful in life, in fact i would probably hav to agree that it is useful in life to an extent but Why make it compulsory to count to uai, thats so totally unfair. If thats the case, then y the fk isnt maths compulsory to count to uai huh?

maybe u say if u want to write books for a living, u only need basic maths to live, not sht like inverse hyberbolic functions. ok, i agree fair enough.. and maybe u need to be able to write stuff in every career field there is, even in stuff like actuary? aeronautical engineering? but i sincerely doubt that for those careers, u need to be at ur best in analyzing wat kind of meaningful shit is comin out of some fkn poem

furthermore, i think the new hsc is really english based and literacy based, maybe too much. (eg compulsory english, science subjects reform) whether its gd for the students i dont know, but wat i do noe is that chiks tend to do better in the hsc now because of that reason.
Take physics for example, the old physics syllabus used to basicaly two extra units of maths which i think is appropriate. After the new syllabus came in, everything became how well u can explain the concepts, and that also im fine with. but wat i fail to understand is y the fk was the rotation topic taken out of the physics syllabus to get rid of all the maths im guessing? to screw up all the asians? ok fair enuf, guess thats the case with medicine as well, however that i support cuz i don think its good for the community if every doctor is asian 40 years from now

and also, b4 english was complusory at our school only 50-60 people did 2u english and like 10 did 3u now 200 do advanced and 90 do extension, that probably explains how we dropped from 3rd to 18th in one year..
why is english compulsory? because it is the tool with which we communicate with each other. what good would your study of maths be if you had no language to explain to anyone else your ideas? it is through the study of the intricacy of language that we become better, more cultured people - something that rearranging numbers can never provide

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Moonlite said:
Hey, look at it this way: In English, you can make complete crap up and still possibly obtain marks for it. In maths, you can't.
Lol, in maths there IS only 1 right answer but in english there is no right or wrong response; you can write whatever you think is right as long as you back it up with evidence.

Simmie

HSC
Look, I know you're all "Yay" about English but think about those of us who are unable to communicate our ideas. I'm in a selective school and I do Standard English... I'm the only girl in the class. We even have a male teacher. I'm struggling, and I feel extremely stupid because I just don't get it!! Anyone want to tutor me?

gr_111

HSC
I loathe English with a passion.
I am a fan of the maths & science where theres one answer and one answer only.
English you could write just about anything, pass it off as your opinion, and you'd be right.
I don't consider it a subject, but thats just my opinion.
^this!

such_such

HSC
English is the art of bull... so as long as you can make up crap and reason, you're good at English :)

Personally I love English, but writing about languages and values is quite tedious

laurencelaw

HSC
Back in the day I loved english, and to be honest right now I kind of hate it. Some of the texts are interesting but I'm finding it hard to like writing stupid essays.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I enjoyed English. The assessment structure was too intense and unnecessarily long though.

Kingportable

HSC
English is an amazing class and this is a foreign kid talking. I don't know about you people, but we have an amazing teacher in our English Advance Class. All of of our related texts are perfect, both fun and superbly constructive so that its interesting and serve our purpose. I never thought i would think that something like Hamlet would be the best and coolest play i've ever read (and that i can comprehend it) and my world view has been expanded enormously by English; that stuff about: journeys, belonging, truth and representation, Romantics of Frankenstein (to the) --> the fears of the Western Society in Blade Runner and specially learning about how to expertly to use language-techniques/knowledge to comprehend texts and crystallise my own. The best part about it is that its a very rewarding course, kids who learns concepts faster or have awesome memory don't have as much of an advantage and can't just cruise along while everyone works their butts off, because everyone has to do the hard yards to get their marks in English Advance. Some research in to the type of assessments in University as well has revealed to me the importance of communication, even in something like Chemistry you must learn to masterfully communicate your results and represent them in both speech and prose. It's specially an important stepping stone for people who want to do things like Law, Economics and etc (social sciences) because a lot of those assessments require you to write complex essays, oral presentations, speech and reports that communicates them in a sophisticated and succinct manner. You're a write for life.

Plus we watch movies, read fun books, listen to cool music and talk most of the time.

Last edited:

The Matrix

HSC
English is complete bullshit, the only thing I like about it though is that there is very little rote learning involved since you need a holistic understanding of the topic, etc...

teridax

HSC
N/A
English is complete bullshit, the only thing I like about it though is that there is very little rote learning involved since you need a holistic understanding of the topic, etc...
lol'ed

m9, I have never heard such a logical fallacy in my whole entire life.

happy_turtle

HSC
English is ridiculous. The english language is ridiculous. The whole concept of everyone being forced to learn the language we speak is ridiculous. I say we all band together and kill english

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)