• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
big8oyjames said:
ive heard this argument 10000 times from Muslims as well. why should we consider the context of a religious book if this so called religious book was brought to earth from this so called god for all of humanity till the end of time. such contexts shouldnt really matter if this book was the real deal. by the same notion i can stand here and say that the context of modern day society allows homosexulas to marry. who are you or any religious dogma to refute that?
so basically you are suggesting that unless you can take something in any context that you want, it has no credibility.

also, i believe homosexuals should be allowed some form of 'union' which is recognised in every possible way. however, 'marriage' is between a man and a woman.

i completely agree with a different sort of 'union' which is available to all homosexuals.

nikolas

HSC
Kwayera said:
Same consciousness, but I think human memories would be meaningless if you were going to come back as, IDK, a tiger or something.
It would be useful to retain all knowledge you acquired in the past life, imagine not having to do 13 years of school +uni since you already know it.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
nikolas said:
It would be useful to retain all knowledge you acquired in the past life, imagine not having to do 13 years of school +uni since you already know it.
i had a dream once that every baby that was born held all the knowledge that the parents had amassed in their lives. babies also retained all physical strength and fitness that the parents had gained

everyone looked like steroid addicted bodybuilders, yet spoke with the tone of andrew wallace-hadrill.

good dream really

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
cxlxoxk said:
No. A god doesn't exist *cough* my sig *cough*.
are we supposed to value your views after your contributions to [thread=195212]this thread[/thread]

in reference to your signature

1. "inability to understand omnipotency much?"
2. what are you basing your knowledge that these things are false on
3. well done
4. not so well done on the grammar

Last edited:

cxlxoxk

HSC
gibbo153 said:
are we supposed to value your views after your contributions to [thread=195212]this thread[/thread]

in reference to your signature

1. "inability to understand omnipotency much?"
2. what are you basing your knowledge that these things are false on
3. well done
4. not so well done on the grammar
on 2.

Scientific facts...

There are new species of animals being discovered everyday, noah couldn't have accumulated all of them within his lifetime.

staff =/= snake

The earth has never stopped and started it's orbit, nowhere other than the bible does it say that it can happen.

The earth is not flat...

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
cxlxoxk said:
on 2.

Scientific facts...

There are new species of animals being discovered everyday, noah couldn't have accumulated all of them within his lifetime.

staff =/= snake

The earth has never stopped and started it's orbit, nowhere other than the bible does it say that it can happen.

The earth is not flat...
new species are not discovered "everyday"

also remember that people lived for longer back then.

again your arguments are just speculation on chance, how can you possibly back up speculations of conditions of that time as a teen in 2008 citing no source.

furthermore the bible does not claim the earth is flat champ.

in regard to the earth's orbit comment, read up on aquinas' first of five ways

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
gibbo153 said:
new species are not discovered "everyday"
Er, yes they are.

also remember that people lived for longer back then.
Er, average life expectancies "back then" were about half what they are currently in the western world.

HSC
Kwayera said:
Er, average life expectancies "back then" were about half what they are currently in the western world.
I'm pretty sure Abraham lived for hundreds of years, lady. It says so in the Bible. :santa:

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
the bible reflects an incredibly long time period, at what time are you generalising that statement too.

also, what species got discovered today then?

the most important thing is, how can you prove it wasn't on the ark?

again i state that arguments like this are not crucial to the existence of god.

but i do agree that Cxlxoxk is not exactly an asset for your team

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Silver Persian said:
I'm pretty sure Abraham lived for hundreds of years, lady. It says so in the Bible. :santa:
correct. there are numerous other mentionings of men who lived for many hundreds of years.

nikolas

HSC
gibbo153 said:
the bible reflects an incredibly long time period, at what time are you generalising that statement too.

Well, dunno probably some new variant of some bacteria.

gibbo153 said:
the most important thing is, how can you prove it wasn't on the ark?
Well its up to you to prove that they were on the ark (in fact that there even was an ark).

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
gibbo153 said:
Plants and insects.

Every time a sub goes on a deep sea expedition (which are pretty regular off oil rigs), they discover new species.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
It's ridiculous to take the story of the ark literally. It can't be rationalised with engineering or science.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Reading biblical literalists trying to rationalise how there could be a flood that covered all the land mass of the world, where that water came from and where that water has now gone, is pretty interesting. People have an amazing ability to lie to themselves.

dragonwren

HSC
j.russell said:
i'm just looking at this and sighing.
i'm going to state the obvious...
any internet conversation about religion is useless, basically.
the people who bother to enter these conversations have already vehemently made-up their minds.
i'm a christian and well, i guess people could be converted in any context..
but arent these conversations just annoying for all involved? i'm pretty sure they never reach conclusions, so it just seems like religious and strongly non-religious people butting heads for the sake of it.
pushy atheists: why be forceful? chill out
christians: maybe try a more effective form of evangelism?
you tell em rusty! =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)