• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (6 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Graney said:
Aside from the extremely questionable feasability of the construction of an ark the size of noah's, and the fact a flood that covers all the land mass on earth makes no sense at all.

There's the simple question of the impossibility of taking care of all the animals on the ark. The number of people on the ark is a small known value, a dozen or so. Mammal species alone, there are millions of pairs of unique species each requiring individual care daily. Supposing an unrealistically low 10 minutes of care a day is needed per species, even working non stop without rest for the arks journey, it is plainly impossible for that many people to care for that many animals

It's a fairy tale.
the bible does not claim that Noah's ark is a tale of advanced zoological skill on Noah's part, it is a deomonstration of God's power, not Noah's.

obviously Noah and his small cohort couldn't maintain the animals.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Graney said:
Aside from the extremely questionable feasability of the construction of an ark the size of noah's, and the fact a flood that covers all the land mass on earth makes no sense at all.

There's the simple question of the impossibility of taking care of all the animals on the ark. The number of people on the ark is a small known value, a dozen or so. Mammal species alone, there are millions of pairs of unique species each requiring individual care daily. Supposing an unrealistically low 10 minutes of care a day is needed per species, even working non stop without rest for the arks journey, it is plainly impossible for that many people to care for that many animals

It's a fairy tale.
Tchah! Stop right there.

Animals: estimated 3-30 million species
|
|--Invertebrates: 97% of all known species
| `--+--Sponges: 10,000 species
| |--Cnidarians: 8,000-9,000 species
| |--Molluscs: 100,000 species
| |--Platyhelminths: 13,000 species
| |--Nematodes: 20,000+ species
| |--Annelida: 12,000 species
| `--Arthropods
| `--+--Crustaceans: 40,000 species
| |--Insects: 1-30 million+ species
| `--Arachnids: 75,500 species
|
`--Vertebrates: 3% of all known species
`--+--Reptiles: 7,984 species
|--Amphibians: 5,400 species
|--Birds: 9,000-10,000 species
|--Mammals: 4,475-5,000 species
`--Ray-Finned Fishes: 23,500 species

...so far, and that doesn't count all animal groups. But there aren't millions of mammal species :p

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
Ah! And there it is. "We don't know how it would have been done, in fact it's impossible, so to make the story true: God did it!"

Even God could not have fit every species of animal on the ark. That is a fact. And what about the plants?
God is omnipotent.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
gibbo153 said:
God is omnipotent.
So God somehow broke the laws of physics and stuffed a higher volume of animals into the ark than there was volume in the ark (and we have the dimensions of the ark).

Right.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
Tchah! Stop right there.

|
| `--Arthropods
|

...so far, and that doesn't count all animal groups. But there aren't millions of mammal species :p
Noah's ark is a story of God saving righteous people whilst destroying the sinful, interpreting the story as an explanation of how the animals were saved is flawed, because it's not what the story intends

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
So God somehow broke the laws of physics and stuffed a higher volume of animals into the ark than there was volume in the ark (and we have the dimensions of the ark).

Right.
God is not restricted by the laws he created, (and therefore transcends)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
gibbo153 said:
Noah's ark is a story of God saving righteous people whilst destroying the sinful, interpreting the story as an explanation of how the animals were saved is flawed, because it's not what the story intends
And you count yourself as such a biblical expert that you're qualified to make that distinction, right?

And it's not a story of destroying the sinful - it's a story of the genocide of more than 20 million people (est. population). If it even occured, which there is no proof whatsoever that it did.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Kwayera said:
Interesting. The world is suddenly a smaller place.

gibbo153 said:
the bible does not claim that Noah's ark is a tale of advanced zoological skill on Noah's part, it is a deomonstration of God's power, not Noah's.
If you want to magic up some dues ex machina to fill the holes in ludicrous biblical fantasy, fine, but I don't believe god magicking up food and care for millions of animals was in the original story.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
And you count yourself as such a biblical expert that you're qualified to make that distinction, right?

And it's not a story of destroying the sinful - it's a story of the genocide of more than 20 million people (est. population). If it even occured, which there is no proof whatsoever that it did.
are qualified to make a contrary distinction?

again you are looking from a 'surely they weren't that bad, therefore god's a genocidal maniac' perspective.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Graney said:
Interesting. The world is suddenly a smaller place.
If you want a crazy number, there are more than 300,000 species known to science of beetles. And that goes up every day :p

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
Are you for real?
what sort of rebuttal is that haha

i'm off to the gym laters

EDIT: yes i know i'm leaving myself open to a "i know you are but what am i" response

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
gibbo153 said:
are qualified to make a contrary distinction?

again you are looking from a 'surely they weren't that bad, therefore god's a genocidal maniac' perspective.
I very much doubt that the millions of children and babies killed in the flood could be counted as "sinful".

The fact that you glorify this story sickens me. It's just a story, thank frak, but it's a disgusting one.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I love how much is unknown about life on earth, there might be 3 million animal species or there might be 30 million.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Did you know that we know more about the surface of Mars than we do about our own sea floor?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Deep sea exploration doesn't inspire the same passion in people as space for some reason.

big8oyjames

Banned
HSC
last night god told me in my dream that he is real. so yeah, jesus spoke to me about muhammad and moses. so yeah. god is real.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Graney said:
Deep sea exploration doesn't inspire the same passion in people as space for some reason.
It should.
Mars is just a big fucking uninhabited desert. You want desert, go to the Sahara.
Meanwhile the deep sea contains an Eden-like (a fitting metaphor considering the thread topic) treasure trove of new and bizarre species that man is yet to catalogue in our extensive real-life Pokedex. Many of these species seem so different and unfamiliar to us that they could well be considered alien.
Comparing the barren and lifeless (excluding possible bacteria) wastelands of Mars to the known mysteries of the deep sea is ridiculous and damaging to logical priorities.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Kwayera said:
Tchah! Stop right there.

|
| `--Arthropods
|

invertebrates/vertebrates is a terrible way of dividing animals

all major phila vs 1 sub phila of the chordates?

madness!

EDIT: and where are the echinoderms?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Kwayera said:
I very much doubt that the millions of children and babies killed in the flood could be counted as "sinful".

The fact that you glorify this story sickens me. It's just a story, thank frak, but it's a disgusting one.
Yeah, seconded. Drowning children make baby jesus cry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)