Does God exist? (17 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters
G

genavania

genavania said:
that was irellevant
ok
so if it all was evolution and the big bang and whatever there had to be something to make the bang. little microbes you say?
well there had to be something to make the microbes?

tell me.. what is it?

and no i dont say the method doesnt matter because something may have "disprooved" popular christian belief but because it truly doesnt.

little children usually dont ask how? but why..

no jaydels if there was no oxygen we would be dead. its pretty fan flaming amazing that things work on earth. no accident if you ask me

HSC
regardless how many 'coincidences' or 'time' you give it, life doesnt come out of a hat. life is created by god, bible says god created life. now unfortunatley some maniac christians say evolution is wrong, well no not entirely. animals went all around the world because either they got bored and travelled or humans took them with them, and as we know with any living organism if a new environment doesnt kill it, it'll adapt too it

there is no 'get my head around'; the big bang blast is described by scientists as a near infinite heat blast, that doesn't happen because subatomic particles got bored and decided to pull an amazing trick!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Casmira said:
regardless how many 'coincidences' or 'time' you give it, life doesnt come out of a hat.
Evidence?
life is created by god,
Evidence?
bible says god created life.
Oh, so of course it's true.
now unfortunatley some maniac christians say evolution is wrong,
I think you'd find they're not just the lunatic fringes.
well no not entirely. animals went all around the world because either they got bored and travelled or humans took them with them, and as we know with any living organism if a new environment doesnt kill it, it'll adapt too it
That is the most pathetic explanation of natural selection I've ever read. If a new environment doesn't kill an organism, it doesn't adapt at all.
there is no 'get my head around'; the big bang blast is described by scientists as a near infinite heat blast, that doesn't happen because subatomic particles got bored and decided to pull an amazing trick!
Yet it's possible that some magic fairy dust got bored and decided to create God?

davin

HSC
N/A
So if any of the conditions were different eg. no oxygen, we'd probably adapted to breathing some other gas
i think i recall learning that oxygen was actually dangerous to early life

general thing, why is it so "amazing" that there's oxygen in the atmosphere to breathe? there is no reason whatsoever that we'd not have oxygen present, and its fairly likely, i'd think, that you'd have oxygen in a diatomic form

HSC
have any evidence where life came from justen? bridge me the gap of no life -> life for me please

pkc

HSC
N/A
"Children are taught that it is a virtue to accept statements without adequate evidence, which leaves them a prey to quacks of every kind in later life, and makes it very difficult for them to accept the methods of thought which are successful in science."

[J. B. S. Haldane]

Bookie

Banned
HSC
webby234 said:
I've already covered this in an extremely long post, so I'll just make few points here.

1. There are trillions of planets in the universe. It is therefore likely that thousands, if not millions are suited for life even if the chance of a random planet supporting life is extremely small ie about 1 in a billion. Earth is one of them.
2. There are many theories surrounding the cause of the big bang. Some of them are hard to get your head around, but that doesn't mean they are wrong. It is disputible that everything has to have a cause; we could be part of a multiverse in the 10 dimensions predicted by string theory - many other theories as well.
3. If life begins on a planet it is likely to evolve, as over 9 billion years (the approximate lifetime of the sun) there is plenty of time for natural selection to take hold.
4. There is plenty of evidence for evolution - fossils, populations of fish today even just plain common sense - if something has a beneficial characteristic it is likely to survive. There is no such evidence for God.
5. You are appealing to the "God of the Gaps" - basically you're saying if we don't know why something happened, that means an all powerful god must have made it happen.
cosmo reprezent!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
god isnt something you "prove" its a personal faith built from reading the bible, and him communicating to you.
Well actually, to build this 'personal faith' i'm pretty sure you would have to prove it to yourself, even if you do so irrationally.

wayyyyyyyyyy too many coincidences for my liking.
Well... first I don't know what you mean by 'coincidences', we're not claiming that our planet came into existance 'just by accident' - in fact we're saying quite the opposite. It's been explained by theories using natural processes, that can be proven again by others and are varified by independant lines on inquiry.
In other words, while of course there are some gaps, we've developed a rough model of how we've gotten to where we are today, using theories/experiments/science, not just by saying 'it was all an accident'.

yep this was result of a big meteor hitting the earth, and 6.4 billion years later viola
You see the thing is, that's not ALL of what people are saying. The age of the earth fits basically with how long evolutionary biologists would want... The idea that comets carry minerals has been shown... I'm not going to continue, but what you've attributed to just saying 'there was a massive comet, then 6.4 billion years, then what we see around us' is actually much more complicated than that. In other words - Strawman.

have any evidence where life came from justen? bridge me the gap of no life -> life for me please
I'm willing to say I don't know. Now what? I think the science, beyond the existance of the universe is excellent and I think we're right on track with it. But maybe because I'm honestly just not intelligent enough to understand it all, I don't think our theories reguarding the creation of the universe are all that awesome. I'll explain to you my rough understanding of steps 2-now or whatever, but I honestly don't know what step 1 was. Yea, but seriously... now what? What's your point?

bbonkers

HSC
Dr_Doom said:
I don't want to argue it's not the christian thing to do :) I'll just let you people think what you want.

Cheers
I agree, the christian thing would be to burn us at the stake. Then donate our property to the church.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Don't you have anything better to do than comment on old posts

HSC
Do you guys want me to be 100% honest?

I am dead set interested in what you're saying and I do bible study once a week, and church once aweek so im a heavy christian. But I'm open minded, I'm going to go read some books and some websites as to evolution, life, that sort of shit.

i know there was a series of 'complicated' events in that 4.6 billion (sorry 6.4, mixup) years but i just dont see how life came about, even with the basic amnino acids, i mean i can turn around and say "well how do we know that when we describing like lightning hitting ancient oceans, meteorites hitting earth, etc. that that wasnt simply god controlling the events to create life; bible does state he is a god of logic"

i mean i could use that at my defence, but i want too see how life happend, combine it with bible and then let my brain decide to be honest

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea of course you can then go and say 'well god did it', I mean... as I've explained a million times, when you want to go and place something supernatural into the equation, you can say anything and not be wrong.... but why would you? :/

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
hello mister casmireee!!! lol as not that bright suggests, if you say god did it then you can say other things did it too....like goblins or demons or aliens, whatever..you see..you cannot just put it all on one thing

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Cosmology and evolutionary theory have nothing to do with whether God exists. This thread appears to have turned into "people who know about science getting bored with people who don't know about science", or perhaps even "does science exist?"

G

genavania

can i just ask what kind of evidence you people are looking for. when you say the bible is not evidence and dismiss it what would be better. you never seem to say.

do you want us to pull God out of heaven? cos u and i both know that may not happen.
seriously im stumped as to what evidence we can possibly provide...

and u still didnt answer my question. who made the big bang/little particles that started it all etc

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well that's the thing, it's impossible to prove or disprove god... there is no possible evidence. The only way I could possibly ever be convinced god exists, would be if god gave me the understanding.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
yeah and if goats came flying from the sky in my face right now ( to the muslim point of view) and if angels flew down (general) and we could see them.....lol...i mean no other thing, could be more convincing, at least then i wouldnt just say oh yeah whatever some random decided to write a book beacuse of what they felt would make the world better at that time. if there is no actual 'seeing is believing' then a book cannot really define how the world was created and by whom etc.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well that's the thing, it's impossible to prove or disprove god... there is no possible evidence. The only way I could possibly ever be convinced god exists, would be if god gave me the understanding.
Why is there no possible evidence? To say this you would first have to have seen all evidence that could exist, which is not possible.

davin

HSC
N/A
the reason that evolution and creationism are being discussed is because they are integral to one of the prime claims made by those that say tehre's proof of a god. with explanations for those events that dont' require a god, that then means that there is still a need for proof of a god to make the statment that there is a god with certainty.
which is why i'm agnostic. however, i do not believe that there is a god in the way that most religions practice, as that involves a god that does effect events on earth with at least some frequency.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)