Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters
G

genavania

i dont believe there is such a thing as atheisim. true atheisim that is.

everyone believes in something. otherwise why breathe why get up in the morning.
it might be the belief in your family, the belief of the good of humanity, of football, beer or even the belief that there is no god.

its believing in something

therefore so called atheists are probably just agnostics. think there is a meaning but just dont know what it is

Atheists beleif that no beliefs are true therefore proving themselves to be wrong

davin

HSC
N/A
what are you talking about? atheism isn't the lacking of beliefs, its just beleiving that there is no god. specifically no god. they can believe in whatever else they want. just look at the name 'atheism' and break it down a-theism
'a' means 'without' (such as asymetry) and 'theism' is 'belief in gods'
therefore making atheism 'without belief in gods' or, i'd think more accuratly 'belief without gods'
contrast this with agnostics, where the root word is the same as the origin of the word knowledge. in this case, it would mean without knowledge, or simply, the idea that we don't have the necessary knowledge to determine if there is a god. however, because of this, agnostics can still clash with theists over the reasoning that theists use to argue for the existance of god. example, as an agnostic, i take issue with much associated with the idea of an interventionist god, such as replacing evolution, big bang theory, and cosmology with simple creationism

G

genavania

kthnx just wanted to see what YOU believed for a change in stead of getting slashed 4 mine.

and evolution has not been proved.

if you are going to answer please answer with your own words. anyone can provide me with a link to wikkipedia heck i can even go there myself.
in asking i want to know what YOU think

volition

arr.
HSC
There are lots of things to live for like interpersonal relationships, achieving goals and doing enjoyable things. You don't need religion to give your life a purpose.

Last edited:

davin

HSC
N/A
freedom, beauty, truth, and love?

firstly, clearly you DID need someone to give a dictionary definition, as you obviously made a statement that misused the term atheism.

as for my beliefs, most of mine i've discussed elsewhere, on origin of the universe, i generally feel that the scientific viewpoint is the best we have at this point, but that there are some things that we don't know about fully, so it needs to keep getting improved. as for god, i don't know if there is one or not, but i have never come across any evidence to make me believe that there is a god that has any influence over our lives or anytime in the past of humanity, or indeed the universe.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Why is there no possible evidence? To say this you would first have to have seen all evidence that could exist, which is not possible.
Well I said there's no possible evidence, but then went on to say that there are some possible evidence (i.e. if god himself made me know it) or whatever.. And of course, it's easy to argue against someone who is using absolute terms, but it's just childish.

Ok, I said 'there is no possible evidence', i'll change that to 'there is no probable evidence which I can currently concieve' does that really make you feel better?

pkc

HSC
N/A
"The God of the Bible is a moral monstrosity."

[Rev. Henry Ward Beecher]

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
God coming down to earth saying that he is god then doing some fucking mind-blowing shit that proves without question he is god.
To me that sounds exactly like the God of the Bible :p

Not-That-Bright said:
Well I said there's no possible evidence, but then went on to say that there are some possible evidence (i.e. if god himself made me know it) or whatever.. And of course, it's easy to argue against someone who is using absolute terms, but it's just childish.

Ok, I said 'there is no possible evidence', i'll change that to 'there is no probable evidence which I can currently concieve' does that really make you feel better?
So, you are agnostic?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Ultimately I'm agnostic about everything. I don't think we can ever be 100% certain that what we think is reality corresponds with absolute reality.

That aside tho, who cares? I work based on what I have... I'm a creature of induction... If I threw 100,000 reindeer off a building, would I have proven that no reindeer can fly? No. Based on the facts would I be wrong with saying that 'reindeer can't fly' - no... I wouldn't... I would be correct, at least temporarily.... (I've forgotten the word, but i've used it many times before)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I mean God coming down to Earth, what does that mean to me? Are all the sinners in the world suddenly going to follow his lead and live a oh so religious life? I mean that's the point isn't it? Religion? To live your life according to someone else. He's like a giant Peter Piper playing his tune getting everyone to dance to his music. Nah, I'm not down with that. I will live my life how I ultimately want it. Sure I may observe SOME guidelines set by the bible by why would God show himself? Is he is such dire need of love and attention? Is he such a neurotic drama queen that he needs more followers? It's sad really. Life is not perfect and I certainly don't like the idea of dancing to someone else's tune. Not everyone is going to respond to God's appearance as a sign of hope. Alot of people will see it as a sign to be fearful of and then there are those who really don't give a shit about some God telling them how to live their life. I'm sorry but religion just doesn't cut it for me at this time in my life.

Dr_Doom

HSC
You don't have to live your life according to someone else. You can still do what you want and become a Christian. You just have to believe in Jesus and that he died and rose for us to forgive our sins, and accept him into your life. It doesn't mean you will suddently have to do every single thing right or your cut out of Christianity. It just means your sins get forgiven. I don't see why that is so bad. Being a Christian makes you a better person. Anyway it's your choice.

davin

HSC
N/A
Is he is such dire need of love and attention? Is he such a neurotic drama queen that he needs more followers?
i always figured that was part of the point of some of the biblical stories

You don't have to live your life according to someone else. You can still do what you want and become a Christian. You just have to believe in Jesus and that he died and rose for us to forgive our sins, and accept him into your life. It doesn't mean you will suddently have to do every single thing right or your cut out of Christianity. It just means your sins get forgiven. I don't see why that is so bad. Being a Christian makes you a better person.
if you don't have to do anything different, how does being Christian make someone a better person?

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I DID accept Jesus into my life when I was ten. Have that done anything to improve my life within say 5 years? No. Life got worse. It was only after I threw away religion completely and accepted that it wasn't necessary was I able to live my life with much more satisfaction without worrying about some God looking over my shoulder telling whether what I was doing was right or wrong. I'll be the judge or what's right or wrong according to MY beliefs. The teachings of the bible are inflexible and I'm not going to carry it around to help me make my decisions for me.

Dr_Doom

HSC
It's not magic. It wont just work without any input. You have to believe that Jesus actually came to forgive our sins.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
What is sin? Isn't it just another word for guilt? So sinning is essential guilt and just saying some guy who died on the cross ment we are able to forgive our sins is silly. When you do something wrong you live with the memory. You either dwell on those memories or you move on. How does killing someone then asking God to forgive make it any less better? Some how you are suddenly forgiven and life moves on? It's a way to justify your actions. You could easily forgive yourself without Jesus and God. The people who need that forgiveness are those who aren't able to get over their problems without having someone else tell them they are forgiven. Religion is for those who need hope, comfort and justification for their existence because THEY ARE WEAK and cannot live for themselves but need someone else to guide them.

pkc

HSC
N/A
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires."

- Susan B. Anthony

Dr_Doom

HSC
I doubt someone who kills people would be a Christian. And if they were it would probably influence them to make the right choice and not kill anyone.

pkc

HSC
N/A
Dr_Doom said:
I doubt someone who kills people would be a Christian. And if they were it would probably influence them to make the right choice and not kill anyone.
"Man is the religious animal. He is the only religious animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion – several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat, if his theology isn’t straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother’s path to happiness and heaven."

[Mark Twain]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)