Edutest results & transferring high schools (1 Viewer)

blueberrymilkbread

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

So I went through the process to try and transfer high schools this year and I did the Edutest exam earlier this year. I put down JR and Baulko down (quite adventurous of me I know) and sent my application through with a vast amount of certificates from both extracurricular and acadmic competitions and my Sem 1 report with 1 B (tech really sucks tbh). Fast forward to after the exam, I got 5 superiors which I was quite content with. I then got an email from Ruse saying that they had shortlisted me for an interview and would contact me for an interview if any spots opened up. After hearing this I pretty much thought that Baulko might consider me for a spot/interview at their school considering that Ruse is supposedly more selective and is higher ranking than Baulko. So when I opened an email from BHHS which stated that I was unsuccessful, I was really devastated and shocked. Did any of you guys or anyone that you know get an offer from BOTH BHHS and Ruse or is it that if you get an offer/ shortlist from one you cannot get one from the other.

Yes99

HSC
Which year did you apply for? And did you come to the orientation day on the 14th?

vonnhagen

HSC
hey, i dont have any experience applying to those schools but thats def not how it works. just because you got shortlisted for ruse doesn’t mean baulko cannot give you an offer. baulko was probably just more competitive this year

congrats on getting shortlisted btw and best of luck, hopefully they’ll contact you soon! 😊

blueberrymilkbread

HSC
N/A
thanks so much!! also i def agree with u saying that baulko was really competitive as there were 200 people sitting for my age group and apparently baulko didnt put anyone on the waitlist either.

Sethio

HSC
I received an email from Baulko but applied for 2 years in front (Year 9). Considering you are probably in Year 7 (bio), the intake for Baulko may have been low, at their discretion. This is because it is the 1st year for many students so there may not be many students leaving these schools (as of now). However, keep up your academics and your comps in particular, and you will easily be able to transfer in future years. 5 superiors is pretty crazy so in my eyes, you should have a good chance in the years to come. Also, ensure you don't lose your extracurriculars, they add a lot of gravitas to your application when paired alongside your academic marks.

Side Note: Numbers do also dwindle down as years go by for applications. Year 7 would most definitely have increased applicants but your odds will only increase for years to come. But in your early schooling years, the school you go to doesn't really matter as long as you apply yourself.

Yes99

HSC
200 people sitting for my age group
Did you apply for year 9 in 2024 as well?
29 students have been accepted for next year yr9 entry. idk how this works either but I received rejection email from Baulko a few days after attending ruse orientation, so I thought they shared their result given that ruse was my first choice and Baulko was 3rd.

Sethio

HSC
29 students have been accepted for next year yr9 entry. idk how this works either but I received rejection email from Baulko a few days after attending ruse orientation, so I thought they shared their result given that ruse was my first choice and Baulko was 3rd.
Sorry bad wording. I meant year 9 -> year 10 (2024)
My friend has an interview 11 days away from mine. I'm not sure whether this is due to the amount of students. But year 10 is usually low numbers.

Also about the Ruse Baulko thing. I think it would be unfair to say that an interview at Ruse cancels any possibility at Baulko. I would assume that Ruse would only contact your other preferences if they were to offer a spot......
But who knows

Yes99

HSC
you are probably in Year 7 (bio),
It makes sense that was shortlisted but there was no interviews if applying for year 8. There was no year 8 (not a single one) at the orientation day.
Keep it up and you will make it for 2025 yr 9 entry next year.

Last edited:

Yes99

HSC
. But year 10 is usually low numbers.

Also about the Ruse Baulko thing. I think it would be unfair to say that an interview at Ruse cancels any possibility at Baulko
True true.
10 students were at the orientation day for year 10. Gave out a booklet with all the new student names and their year, so can tell how many students.

blueberrymilkbread

HSC
N/A
no i didn't apply for y9 but for y7--> y8

blueberrymilkbread

HSC
N/A
I received an email from Baulko but applied for 2 years in front (Year 9). Considering you are probably in Year 7 (bio), the intake for Baulko may have been low, at their discretion. This is because it is the 1st year for many students so there may not be many students leaving these schools (as of now). However, keep up your academics and your comps in particular, and you will easily be able to transfer in future years. 5 superiors is pretty crazy so in my eyes, you should have a good chance in the years to come. Also, ensure you don't lose your extracurriculars, they add a lot of gravitas to your application when paired alongside your academic marks.

Side Note: Numbers do also dwindle down as years go by for applications. Year 7 would most definitely have increased applicants but your odds will only increase for years to come. But in your early schooling years, the school you go to doesn't really matter as long as you apply yourself.
even with the 5 sup thing its still really hard to tell since its a bracket of the top 11% which might have meant i sat at like the lower percentage of the top 11% (ie. top 10%- top 9%) while other applicants might have sat at the higher end (ie. top 1%-2%)

Sethio

HSC
True true.
10 students were at the orientation day for year 10. Gave out a booklet with all the new students names and their year, so can tell how many students.
Oh, orientation day is a guaranteed acceptance (stupid me). That's 100% why you got a rejection from Baulko. It's basically a rule where if you are accepted by preference 1 you cannot accept any preference below that ie (2 or 3). It works the same for the selective test. If NSB accepted me for instance, I would not hear anything from Baulko cause NSB is above Baulko. Anyways, good job on the ruse I assume....

In short, your highest "successful" preference is your only option. Which I find quite weird tbh.

Sethio

HSC
even with the 5 sup thing its still really hard to tell since its a bracket of the top 11% which might have meant i sat at like the lower percentage of the top 11% (ie. top 10%- top 9%) while other applicants might have sat at the higher end (ie. top 1%-2%)
Your point is valid, but I don't think that is what the schools are looking for. Anyone on any day can perform exceptionally on this test and it's not really one that tests "true academic merit". The schools would use this to dwindle down applications which does seem quite unfair but it's the most viable option. They will separate 3-5 superior students and only look at their applications in most cases (200 applications is quite a lot). Meaning, that you just need to prove a sense of "competency" to say the least (on the test) and the rest of your application will carry you through. Good Job either way promising signs.

blueberrymilkbread

HSC
N/A
Oh, orientation day is a guaranteed acceptance (stupid me). That's 100% why you got a rejection from Baulko. It's basically a rule where if you are accepted by preference 1 you cannot accept any preference below that ie (2 or 3). It works the same for the selective test. If NSB accepted me for instance, I would not hear anything from Baulko cause NSB is above Baulko. Anyways, good job on the ruse I assume....

In short, your highest "successful" preference is your only option. Which I find quite weird tbh.
but see the thing im confused ab is that its not even an offer, its literally a shortlist which gives no guarantee of me even getting into that school at this point in time

Yes99

HSC
In short, your highest "successful" preference is your only option
Yeh I think weird as well. Did you hear anything from nsb btw? There was been no rejection or acceptance email from nsb, although it doesn't matter too much, I was curious.

Sethio

HSC
but see the thing im confused ab is that its not even an offer, its literally a shortlist which gives no guarantee of me even getting into that school at this point in time
That's just up to each individual's school's requirements, preferences and other things. In no case is it guaranteed that Baulko wants more students than Ruse in a specific year. I wouldn't dwell on it too much. Your chances are really good in my opinion for future years.

Yes99

HSC
its not even an offer, its literally a shortlist
They can't give you an offer even if you are top 1% at all subjects when there is literally no spot available.
If someone in year 7 decides to leave at the end of the year, you will be contacted for an interview, so waitlist makes sense.

billgorbitrough

HSC
Hi guys,

So I went through the process to try and transfer high schools this year and I did the Edutest exam earlier this year. I put down JR and Baulko down (quite adventurous of me I know) and sent my application through with a vast amount of certificates from both extracurricular and acadmic competitions and my Sem 1 report with 1 B (tech really sucks tbh). Fast forward to after the exam, I got 5 superiors which I was quite content with. I then got an email from Ruse saying that they had shortlisted me for an interview and would contact me for an interview if any spots opened up. After hearing this I pretty much thought that Baulko might consider me for a spot/interview at their school considering that Ruse is supposedly more selective and is higher ranking than Baulko. So when I opened an email from BHHS which stated that I was unsuccessful, I was really devastated and shocked. Did any of you guys or anyone that you know get an offer from BOTH BHHS and Ruse or is it that if you get an offer/ shortlist from one you cannot get one from the other.

hi i did not apply for bhhs or ruse,

but i got an enrolment offer for girraween hs (1st choice), then also got on the reserve list for sydney girls high school (2nd choice)

so yes, you can get offers/shortlists from lower priority schools

blueberrymilkbread

HSC
N/A
They can't give you an offer even if you are top 1% at all subjects when there is literally no spot available.
If someone in year 7 decides to leave at the end of the year, you will be contacted for an interview, so waitlist makes sense.
that makes sense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)