• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Final Fantasy XII (1 Viewer)

Jackie Kennedy

HSC
N/A
Is there a release date for this thing yet? Fark. I bought the PS2 4years ago, and I've got like three games on it so far. :(

I want another FF. *tear*

(enigma)

no soup for you
HSC
from gamespot.com

Final Fantasy XII stars a princess named Ashe, who teams up with Vaan, an urchin, and several other characters to protect their homeland of Ivalice against invaders.
Read Previews »
By: Square Enix
Genre: Role-Playing
Release Date: Oct 31, 2006 (more)

gtvwill

HSC
FF7 FTMFW!!!111one (final fantasy 7 for the mutha fuckin win) /fanboy

(enigma)

no soup for you
HSC
nah, 8 was heaps better than 7. the ending just sucked a bit.

MikiRei

HSC
Oh lol - FF12 - I'm still playing it.

Much MATURE plotline this time - the gameplay is acceptable - though it was evident that some of the online game features were still there (eg. Some giant monster will be walking about and other enemies will be fighting it - getting hacked and killed whislt doing it - and at the same time, you slowly creep away from them 'cause no way you're gonna kill some big giant tortoise that has an HP of ????????/???????? when ur still on Lv.20)

I miss Nobuo's music but all the same, the music's fine. The levelling up and accessory system is a little stupid. You needa gain license points to acquire the ability to WIELD a certain type of weapon or to gain a certain ability. Basically, think FFX's sphere grid only 10x smaller. The disadvantage to that is there's no definitive ability for any one character. You can just concentrate on 3 characters and that's that really. There are summon abilities and special attack abilities which once gained by ONE character, no other character can gain it - but really, there's only like about 6 to 10 of those on the board (at least, so far where I am in the game) that it hardly makes a difference.

One of the MOST stupidest feature in this game is that you have BUY your spells and abilities - ON TOP of your shields, accessories, weapons and armour. And that's not even mentioning the fact that it's EXTREMELY HARD to earn money in this game. Enemies rarely drop gold (they do drop a large amount of usless items though which I guess u CAN seel those for a bit of gold) and the best way to find any large amount of gold is probably circling around the map, hoping to find some treasures lying around (which respawns). The only best way to gain money (and license points) in this game is through this side-quest where you get hired by ppl to kill some special monsters - 'cept they're scattered all over the world so it takes a big chunk outta your play time.

And worse of all, VERY FEW SAVE POINTS. You're forced to play at least 3 hours at a time before you find one which can get quite annoying if you only needed a quick play.

Verdict: FF12 can be argued to be the very worst in the series but the immense change of the overall style it has compared to the rest in the series was a welcoming fresh air. I've enough of stupid plotlines that involves a bunch of people saving the world - well, I think FF12 eventually leads to them saving the world but the original motive was revenge. The emphasis on political struggle in this game was much more interesting than stupid Tidus whining about his Dad being a bastard.

Ahhh....bleh - I'm stopping - blabbed enough. I say, rent the game first before you buy it. If you're a great FF fan (like me), buy it then. Otherwise, test it first before you decide whether it's worth your money.

watkinzez

HSC
Since you've played it, MikiRei.. could you give me an overview of the character Penelo? I've been trying to write a short biography for a website (about 300 words), but as you might expect, information is a little hard to find for a character in a game that hasn't been released in English yet.

Many thanks if you can help.

MikiRei

HSC
Wel....I guess I can give you an overview of what I THINK of the character, Penelo.

*SPOILER*

Penelo's Vaan's girlfriend. Her parents took Vaan in when his brother died (his parents predeceased him) - well, eventually, Penelo's parents die as well so they basically grew up on the streets together. She hate conflicts and dearly wishes the world to be more peaceful, which, unfortunately, isn't quite the case in FF12 since the Empire's already taken over her country and killed her parents along with the war they've brought..........and that's really all there is about her - I'm still quite early in the game (by the looks of the game faqs, I'm near halfway through) so I guess there's a limit to how much I can tell you.

If I have time I'll go over to the Jap sites and translate the texts there if you want....

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
hai 2 u. ;)

(If only I can remember Jackie's password...*sigh*.. >_>)

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
Aren't there 2 FFXII games being released? Apparently, one is more actiony, and the other more rpgish.

Also, FFVII was only worth it for the wacky ecoterrorism themes, that motorcycle minigame, and Cloud turning out in the end to be a goddamn lunatic.

MikiRei

HSC
Aren't there 2 FFXII games being released? Apparently, one is more actiony, and the other more rpgish.
The second one is coming out and it's a mobile game. And yes, it's more childish like.

FF13 on the other hand is gonna be this major series of itself. Three installments have already been announced.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
One month to go ... it looks incredible ... shame it comes out a week after university resumes ...

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
I checked out EB. The have the display cases under the 'coming soon' section. I asked the guy at EB when its coming out and he said 15th Feb. Don't know how accurate that date will be though.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Well going by the likes of IGN and Wikipedia, the release is the 23rd. I know they're not the best or the most reliable sources, but they do agree with one another. Besides, the 15th doesn't help me sinec I go back to uni on the 16th.

Also, check out the mucis if you go the the game's website; it sounds very Star Wars ...

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
i rekon its a good game i dunno wat MikiRei is on about, saying its the worst in the series.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Yeah, a lot of people have been ragging on Gambits, saying the game "plays itself", which is entirely untrue.

I can't see how people think the whole point about money being hard to come by being a bad thing. It forces you to play the game in a smart way; I just finished a replay of Final Fantasy VIII and cut most enemies down to size with physical attacks. The only time I really used GFs was in the event of an elemental weakness (there were several - namely Doomtrain, Tonberry, Ceberus and Pandemona - that I didn't summon at all). If you play the game right and know where to look, you can get some really rare high-end magic spells such as Ultima as early as Fisherman's Horizon (Draw Point in the mayor's house)!

I can only see buying spells and equipment as a good thing because it forces you to play smart and decide what you really need for each situation (also, I'm told that anything you miss can be purchased later on in most cases, and if not, you can backtrack). The one thing I didn't like about the series until now was that I could sit through Final Fantasy VII and IX without losing a single player to KO status over the course 40 hours of gameplay. But for some reason, players seem to be getting annoyed that monsters don't drop Gil. I always thought it odd that monsters had it in the first place, particularly the ones without opposable thumbs (because some you could explain away as pilfering dead bodies).

I think MikiRei is contradicting himself slightly when he says there's no definitive character class, but it's difficult to but spells. If the game follows on from its predecessors, individual characters level differently in terms of the stat bonuses they gain. Auron never had as many MP in Final Fantasy X as Lulu did until he got off his course on the Spheregrid, and since the end of his 'grid usually coincided with the final stages of the game ... well, you see my point. You're obviously being forced to choose not just which spells and weapons you buy, but who you equip them on. You could probably make Penelo an Auron-style warrior if you wanted to, but I daresay it's easier to do so with Basch or Balthier. Final Fantasy VIII is an example of this going the wrong way; there was nothing to prevent you from focusing on your favourite three people until Ultimecia.

And also, Miki, Tidus whining about Jecht was a lot more interesting than Zell's temper tantrums. Not as good as Zidane's womanising, though.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
The only thing that annoyed me about FFX is that i upped my characters so much that i only had to do two hits and the final boss was dead. Very disappointing considering i was expecting some epic battle.

On the other hand, the whole reason my characters were so powerful was because the world was so interesting to explore, and that is a good thing :/ I guess it is the nature of Turn based games. Not like Zelda, where you still get a challenge out of a boss regardless of how powerful you have made link (i.e. collected all the heart containers).

Still. FF12 should be hellacool. so i dont know what im blabbering on about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)