Forbidden love (2 Viewers)

Nanasaurus

HSC
ok, i'm the last person to say something's right or wrong or whatever purely because 'the law says so', because the justice system is fallible and moral and ethical decisions need to be made respective of each scenario.

HOWEVER

laws against this sort of thing exist for a very wide, sweeping and obvious reason. listen to them.

however, it is normal for people to go through a phase such as this one. i for one, have never, but when I was in year five I had a friend, Michelle, who was in love with her older brother. that was bizarre and unusual. So just be grateful it's not your siblings that you're lusting after, I suppose.
And cousins are more common, i hear. so yeah... you're not alone, apparently. if that helps.

BUT PLEASE DON'T ACT ON THIS THING WITH YOUR COUSIN. HE'S STILL FAMILY

Mossy Mac

HSC
I had a crush on my 2nd coz a while bck. U can like some one without it being sexual. (though I am pleased he is my 2nd coz lol)

assiduous

HSC
I haven't really thought about this before, but Ok here goes for a serious answer: I'll try my best for 2 am

First a question: is it your first cousin? If you think it doesn't matter: a cousin is family and this is wrong, and it doesn't matter how distantly related they are, consider this:

1: any two caucasian people will be 50th cousins at the most. I read this from more then one place but I cbf finding sources, look it up yourself.

Even if this is not completely accurate, the figure will be close to this probably. It makes sense, we all have to be related eventually, I mean think about how the population of the world has risen so rapidly in the last few thousand years.

So if all people are cousins, (pretty much) then where do you draw the line between acceptable and unacceptable? 5th Cousin? 4th? 3rd?

To think about how you might answer this question, I guess you might want to consider why we see relationships with cousins wrong

I feel this way too, everyone does, It just feels wrong and icky, but surely morality should be more then just our biological gut reaction. I find gay sex yuck and icky to think about, but I believe that gay people have the right to do what they want in the privacy of their own homes, and that they have the right to be in gay relationships.

Logically the only reason to draw a line I can think of in the case of cousin couples is when cousins knowingly bring a child into a world that will have a disadvantage and genetic disorder. And even then, this isn't an argument against a relationship, just an argument against having children with a cousin. On top of that I've heard cousin couples argue on a documentary or something like that once that this chance of genetic illness is the same for first cousins as it is for older couples, say over 40, and that third and fourth cousins actually have healthier children then the average, but I haven't checked any of these claims because I haven't really thought about this issue much before. And even if there was a more significant chance of their children having genetic disorders, many people would still say they should have a right to take that risk.

Also apparantly cousin couples are very common in some cultures. I think this is trivial and don't really see this as an "argument" for anything at all, it might comfort you a bit though.

Another trivial fun fact that might cheer you up but doesn't prove anything about what is right in this situation: We're all the product of cousin couples. Think about this, each generation you go back, you double the number of ancestors, but there were less people as time goes back further. Look here for more information The Straight Dope: 2, 4, 8, 16 ... how can you always have MORE ancestors as you go back in time?

So it looks like there's nothing wrong with having a relationship with your cousin, and that no line should be drawn at all, BUT

1. your cousin may not feel the same way, yet
2. your family may not feel the same way, yet
3. society at large finds it a little icky still

If no one knows that they are your cousin this might avoid the 3rd one to some extent but... There will be issues if you decide to go through with this. Probably, unless your family are all highly intelligent tolerant awesome people. Which is unlikely, this is Australia after all.

I hope I've helped.
Thanks, for that. Never thought about children. ....

ok, i'm the last person to say something's right or wrong or whatever purely because 'the law says so', because the justice system is fallible and moral and ethical decisions need to be made respective of each scenario.

HOWEVER

laws against this sort of thing exist for a very wide, sweeping and obvious reason. listen to them.

however, it is normal for people to go through a phase such as this one. i for one, have never, but when I was in year five I had a friend, Michelle, who was in love with her older brother. that was bizarre and unusual. So just be grateful it's not your siblings that you're lusting after, I suppose.
And cousins are more common, i hear. so yeah... you're not alone, apparently. if that helps.

BUT PLEASE DON'T ACT ON THIS THING WITH YOUR COUSIN. HE'S STILL FAMILY
hmm, i think i'll leave this for a while..

SMP213

HSC
ok well first, i dnt think there is anything wrong with 'liking' ur cuz, coz i honestly dnt think u can help who u like, u can get attracted to anyone!!

umm, im not really goin thru the same thing, but its about cousins so yer!!

im close to my guy cousins and not that i check them out, but theyre are good looking!! (n my friends are crazy about them) but they both tried doin stuff with me, at different times, but yer, one cuz asked me out and has tried makin out wit me alot, the other wasnt so straight forward, but startd touching n shit!! anyway, my family found out about the 'touching' cuz, and the whole family broke apart!!

all im tryin to say, is make sure u dnt do something to him that will make him uncomfortable, coz u ARE cousins!!

it would b an awkward situation, jus dnt do anything that would make ur relationship awkward, coz in my situation, i havent talkd to that cuz for a yr n a half!!
so yea, that was a great loss!!
n im sure u dnt wanna lose that!!
newai, hope i helped!! :D

wendaYYY

no pain no gain
HSC
My cousin is a few months younger than me, and I have to say that he's like decent looking. And boy do I think sometimes, that if he wasn't my cousin, he'd be on my list.

We're really close and I've known him my whole life. I like the way he's turned out, I've seen him go through his childhood, adolescence and parental bashings.

I think it's time which has brought on some emotional intimacy between us. He will confide everything to me. As soon as I hop on msn, he's typed out a thesis for me.

I think what you're mistaking for love is just closeness. Out of all my cousins, I'd say I'm closest to him.

DON'T FALL FOR YOUR COUSIN!! YOU MUST FIGHT ANY PHYSICAL DESIRE FOR HIM!! LOL. I sound like a religious nut.

Anyway, I was sleeping in my single bed one night, when my cousin climbed in, pulled the blanket over him as well and lay down next to me. THAT WAS WEIRD. YOU DON'T WANT TO BE IN THAT SCENARIO AND FEEL AN IMPULSE TO TAKE THINGS FURTHER.

Eww...that would be incest! That would be animal!!

ajay12

Can count to potato
HSC
I'm not losing hope yet.
Well, I have news for you. Einstein married his cousin and since Einstein was the smartest person who ever lived, then you can also be the smartest person in Australia.

If you marry your cousin, you're not setting a bad example for society, you're setting a good example for Tasmanian's who can now look further down the family tree, further away from brother and/or sister.

Jeee

Banned
HSC
Tbh, this is what I think...
If you two grew up distantly, and then met when you were older, and this infatuation flourished, it's not that bad.
Don't feel the need to conform to societal norms and expectations - fck what people think, and what society demands! Marrying one's cousin is a lot more common than we think.
It's not something we can give you the answer to - I guess you're going to have to evaluate your circumstances and your feelings. If it doesn't work out for you, or you remain confused, remember that it'll be an experience to learn from - you will grow and mature from whatever the outcome.

assiduous

HSC
My cousin is a few months younger than me, and I have to say that he's like decent looking. And boy do I think sometimes, that if he wasn't my cousin, he'd be on my list.

We're really close and I've known him my whole life. I like the way he's turned out, I've seen him go through his childhood, adolescence and parental bashings.

I think it's time which has brought on some emotional intimacy between us. He will confide everything to me. As soon as I hop on msn, he's typed out a thesis for me.

I think what you're mistaking for love is just closeness. Out of all my cousins, I'd say I'm closest to him.

DON'T FALL FOR YOUR COUSIN!! YOU MUST FIGHT ANY PHYSICAL DESIRE FOR HIM!! LOL. I sound like a religious nut.

Anyway, I was sleeping in my single bed one night, when my cousin climbed in, pulled the blanket over him as well and lay down next to me. THAT WAS WEIRD. YOU DON'T WANT TO BE IN THAT SCENARIO AND FEEL AN IMPULSE TO TAKE THINGS FURTHER.

Eww...that would be incest! That would be animal!!
Hmm, finally someone who knows what it is like :)

How do two people fit in a single bed? :confused:

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Haha good joke.
Pfft stereotypes. I was born there but i don't regard myself as a Tasmanian but an Australian.
the best thing in the world is when stereotypes prove completely true. this surpasses in hilarity the previous frontfunner of all service station attendants being indian

assiduous

HSC
i dunno, i just find it really weird.

my cousins are like best friends and brothers and sisters to me, thats probably why.
Society has taught you that it's wrong, your parents probably don't approve of it either, your friends don't approve of it etc but that doesn't mean we have to conform to society's expectations. Do we now?

But yeah, if you see them like brothers and sisters. I don't see them like that :lol:, i see them more like cousins.

the best thing in the world is when stereotypes prove completely true. this surpasses in hilarity the previous frontfunner of all service station attendants being indian
No. I'm not Tasmanian okay! I'm Australian.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)