Frankenstein/BladeRunner (1 Viewer)

simmowrites

HSC
In which ways to the three narrators of frankenstein develop?

Vic gains a deeper appreciation of nature, possibly due to the interactions he has with Elizabeth. Elizabeth has always had a deep respect for nature.
"A change had indeed taken place in me: my health, which had hitherto declined was now much restored; and my spirits, when unchecked by the memory of my unhappy promise, rose proportionally. I took refuge in the most perfect solitude. I passed whole days on the lake alone in a little boat, watching clouds and listening to the rippling of the waves, silent and listless. But the fresh air and bright sun seldom failed to restore me to some degree of composure; and on my return, I met the salutations of my friends with a readier smile and more cheerful heart” (Victor Frankenstein – page 145)

Changed due to interaction with Frankenstein’s Monster.
"But through the whole period during which I was the slave of my creature, I allowed myself to be governed by the impulses of that movement” (Victor Frankenstein – Page 148

Thats all I have.
I havent evaluated Walton or Frankensteins Monsters.
Any help is much appreciated : )
Thanks

imoO

HSC
simmowrites said:
In which ways to the three narrators of frankenstein develop?

Vic gains a deeper appreciation of nature, possibly due to the interactions he has with Elizabeth. Elizabeth has always had a deep respect for nature.
"A change had indeed taken place in me: my health, which had hitherto declined was now much restored; and my spirits, when unchecked by the memory of my unhappy promise, rose proportionally. I took refuge in the most perfect solitude. I passed whole days on the lake alone in a little boat, watching clouds and listening to the rippling of the waves, silent and listless. But the fresh air and bright sun seldom failed to restore me to some degree of composure; and on my return, I met the salutations of my friends with a readier smile and more cheerful heart” (Victor Frankenstein – page 145)

Changed due to interaction with Frankenstein’s Monster.
"But through the whole period during which I was the slave of my creature, I allowed myself to be governed by the impulses of that movement” (Victor Frankenstein – Page 148

Thats all I have.
I havent evaluated Walton or Frankensteins Monsters.
Any help is much appreciated : )
Thanks
If you have quotes that detailed integrated well with your essay, BAND 6 automatic.(however, easier said than done) So many people have these short 2-3 word quotes they just poke in so they can say they put quotes in. I can't really help you out because I have done the Module myself, but I am doing it this coming term.

simmowrites

HSC
Yeah, I'm doing is coming term as well, but we got some of the work to do over the holidays, so I'm trying to get it out of the way.
There are 6 questions, but it doesn't say how long they are supposed to be. I've done 2 and a half pages for the first question, will probably do that for all of them but am not sure how long they should be. I guess it will pay of later though, when it comes to the assessment task. What do you think?

lizajane91

HSC
yeah i think doing long answers etc pays of now because you have thought about all the info before the assessment task... for my lastest eng assessment task we had to do a portfolio and everyone did about 6 pages but i did 16..they all thought i was crazy but i got 100% so i guess it pays of in the end.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
georgefren said:
AOS first. then we started looking at frankenstein. and we still havent started bladerunner! im panicking.
We only just finished the AOS before the holidays and were given Frankenstein to read during the break. I chose to watch Blade Runner during the holidays just to get a head start (I also fell asleep half an hour into it and woke up twenty minutes later but whatever). Just rent it or buy it (I say rent it otherwise it's the worst $10 you're ever going to spend) and make notes while you watch it so you'll be set when term one starts up. I just have an entire notebook dedicated to important quotes from English texts. Once you go through the texts in class you'll work out what you need from the notes you took already.
DON'T PANIC. I mean it's not even term one yet, haha. You'll be fine.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
bell531 said:
Sounds like this was a popular choice for Module A, and it doesn't sound too hard either.
No, no, in my opinion this is the hardest module. We completed it in term 4 and believe me it is difficult to integrate everything into an essay.
Not only is it a comparative study but it is a study of context and perspectives (both of society and of the composer).

My assessment was writing an essay in a time limit and it wasn't that i struggled with what to write it was trying fit everything in and make it have form and flow well.

Trent7

HSC
My assessment for Frankenstein/BladeRunner is mainly concerned with context and values? Is there a Board of Studies definition of values? My teacher's comments always say I leave values out.

HSC
we started with module B, now we're doing AOS, then we're doing frankenstien/bladerunner.
i started reading frankenstein but i just cant get into it. =S

kyra-renae

HSC
I wish we were doing Frankenstein/Blade Runner.
We read Frankenstein in our extension class (theres 3 people in the whole class) and our teacher says that now our advanced class can't do it; because three people have already read it.

I can see her point, but it's a bit silly considering we'll be looking at it in a completely different conetext and all... oh well.

***mike***

HSC
we just started as well, currently focusing on context atm.

science and progress etc...

any notes, or good essay questions to practicew with would be greatly appreciated, ill make sure i post up some notes that i make throughout the course.

thnx

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
we just started as well, currently focusing on context atm.

science and progress etc...

any notes, or good essay questions to practicew with would be greatly appreciated, ill make sure i post up some notes that i make throughout the course.

thnx

practise question

in Module A, which of the composers expressed more interesting ideas and values? make reference to your own understindaing, values conyeved by the text, and context in which they were both composed. also make detailed reference to both texts as well as techniques used by composer

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
practise question

in Module A, which of the composers expressed more interesting ideas and values? make reference to your own understindaing, values conyeved by the text, and context in which they were both composed. also make detailed reference to both texts as well as techniques used by composer
lol.

looking for ideas?

ps. while i'm here. did we have homework that you can recall?

geesauce

HSC
Hey yeah we are doing Module A.
An idea that was brought up in our class discussion was the notion of greed.
In Frankenstein: Victor Frankenstein creates his monster because he wants to be the first to create life, he wants the fame and to create a name for himself.

In Blade Runner: Tyrell is producing these replicants for the money, he doesn't care about the ethics.

In both texts, the creators are wanting more than what they have.

If you are relating this to context you could talk about how in Mary Shelley's time, society were thriving after the effects of the Industrial Revolution and many scientific theories. Shelley is predicting what the effects of these discoveries may have on society and the creators.

Blade Runner shows the affects of the breakthrough in computers and how we let machines get bigger and better than us. Quote from Tyrell - "more human than human is our motto".

I hope this has helped :)
x x x

kylielynch

HSC
My assessment for Frankenstein/BladeRunner is mainly concerned with context and values? Is there a Board of Studies definition of values? My teacher's comments always say I leave values out.

Values are the ideas and beliefs that people uphold. They are directly related to context. You grow up differently from other people because of your own personal context (family influences, social class, education, religion, culture etc) and more specifically, what is happening in the world at the time will affect your beliefs (i.e your values). In the case of Blade Runner/Frankenstein. You need to remember to include the values of Mary Shelley and Ridley Scott. They wrote/directed the texts and so their own personal values and the things that were happening in their world affected their writing. Consiously or sub-conciously they have included their own opinions on the current climate of their time in relation to technology and it's effect on humanity. It can be seen from both these texts that they believe technology (and the pursuit for knowledge) can have a negative affect on humanity.

Hope that helps!

Shonny

HSC
hi
i dont know what frankenstein book anyone else has read but the one published by 'DK Illustrated Classics' (Dorling Kindersley - Illustrated Reference Publisher) has a lot of information about Mary Shelley(context) the structure of Frank., enlightment, science in M.S time, gothic novels, industrial revolution, outcasts, sublime - mostly on double page spreads throughout the book but some are in more detail. hope this heaps

gab17

HSC
atm, we are writing a formative task on links between frank & BR. any suggestions for frank?

Both Shelley and Scott make numerous references to the natural world. However, Shelley implies the importance and the beauty of nature, where as Scott emphasises the absence of nature as the result of a careless world. An important link between the two texts is the isolation from nature resulting in the loss of humanity.

Scott displays that humanity is intrinsically linked to nature. He cleverly uses the lack of youth, plants, new life and seasons to symbolise the isolation from nature. The isolation from nature is emphasised through the images of constant rain, no sunlight and minimal vegetation. Influenced by a period of public concern in the 1980s when environmental issues were becoming a very powerful and prominent issue. Scott’s subtle, yet, reoccurring images remind us what will happen if we do not take care of nature, and how it will effect humanity. Urbanisation was also an issue as people began to see overdevelopment caused through population pressure. This issue is presented in Blade Runner in overcrowded streets of Los Angeles. The dirt and squalor put this issue in a dark light. Scott highlights the scientific progress that has destroyed the natural and human environment. The world of Blade Runner is an ecological disaster and humans have been forced to flee the earth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)