bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
PSI is Pounds Per Square Inch

i've got a question
308-5L holden
302 - 5L ford
350-5.7L chev

what is the numbers for a 5L Hemi engine??
cause i am looking at a RX3 with a 5L hemi, an i just wanna find out things about that engine. how much power it can produce

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
rx3 with a hemi? damn, thats original.

Transcendant - Turbo's take time to suck air into the system, so they usually kick in at anything above 3000RPM, it all depends on how big your turbo is, how much boost your running, boost is measured in PSI and its just how much air is being sucked into the turbo. Now for the gears thing, say your driving in 4th gear, its harder to get the revs up quickly for the turbo to suck air in, than it is in first, second or third.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
transcendent said:
Hey I don't know much about turbos and how you activate them, I get the general idea of how they work in that they force more air into the compression chambers.

I'm just wondering why you have to apparently down shift to activate the turbo. Is it cause you activates at high RPM? And whats this about 1st, 2nd, 3rd stage turbo activation?

Turbos are for higher power further up and superchargers are for higher power lower down right? What's with say 12 psi boost? What's the psi measurement for?
turbos run off the exhaust (so more exhaust = higher engine Revolutions = higher turbo speed = more forced air)

superchargers run off the engine, connected by a belt (supercharger is forcing air in as soon as the engine is spinning)

therefore, turbos generally need revs to make power (especially bigger turbos), and superchargers are good for low down torque as they're supplying power from down low (alot of V8 and bigger motors use superchargers because they dont have the redline needed, say past 6500 rpm, WHILST smaller motors and technologically advanced have higher RPM capabilites, so turbos are better for them)

that is a benefit of having a supercharger, although there are numerous disadvantage/advantages with each

i hope that explains it a bit, sorry for not being able to convey what im thinking into words well :eek:

also, 5L hemi? that being what?

SlipStream

HSC
bowman said:
PSI is Pounds Per Square Inch

i've got a question
308-5L holden
302 - 5L ford
350-5.7L chev

what is the numbers for a 5L Hemi engine??
cause i am looking at a RX3 with a 5L hemi, an i just wanna find out things about that engine. how much power it can produce
I'm not much of a V8 drag guru like some of my mates, but wouldn't a 5L hemi have a similar capacity to some of the other 5L capacities you have mentioned..?

I couldn't help you out with your engine enquiry. You'd need to be a little more specific.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
well i just wanna know the cubic size of it, sorry i would of made it more specific.
it's not a drag car, but it has a fair amount of mumbo behind it. ill get a pic of it

braad said:
also, 5L hemi? that being what?
it's a Chrysler Hemi engine 5litre hemispherical engine
almost every to fuel drag cars use the Hemi engines. because they are so fucking powerful.

however doing some reading, i think it could be a 392cubic inch.

Last edited:

SlipStream

HSC
Yeah......

You asked about a 5L hemi V8, and what its capacity in cu would be... I said that "wouldn't it be around 302 and 308", which are Ford and Holden's respective old-style V8s. Then you said the 5L hemi you're thinking of might be "392cu". 392cu is something around six and a half litres, so definitely not 5L!

Ford's 302 converts to 4948cc, which is rounded up to 5L. Holden's 308 converts to 5047cc, and rounds down to 5L.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
SlipStream said:
Yeah......

You asked about a 5L hemi V8, and what its capacity in cu would be... I said that "wouldn't it be around 302 and 308", which are Ford and Holden's respective old-style V8s. Then you said the 5L hemi you're thinking of might be "392cu". 392cu is something around six and a half litres, so definitely not 5L!

Ford's 302 converts to 4948cc, which is rounded up to 5L. Holden's 308 converts to 5047cc, and rounds down to 5L.
oh yeah aye
nah i just wanna find out stats about the engine, cause i wanna know how much power an fuel i am gonna burn through

pikto

owns your mother
HSC
an Rx, as in a Mazda Rx... the R stands for rotary, this is basically an engine with 1 triangle shaped pistion which spins and whilst working on the same basic combustion principle as a normal engine... the point is it is not really a rotary engine if it has a Hemi. However in relation to your question of power, we are assuming that because of the car it is in it is a sports Hemi, in 5L you are looking at mid to high 200s in terms of horsepower and a hell of alot of torque, modern hemis can also 'turn off', so to speak, four cylinders to cope with the phenominal cost of petrol, basically; "Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax. - David Charles Gedraitis"

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
ok this is a car which has had the Hemi engine put in it, so it aint a rotor anymore

an only the brand new Hemi's can shut down 4 cylinders. this one is just pure grunt.

but i just wanna find out about the engine, like i wanna know the name of the engine and the size...which myself an no one else can seem to work out

HSC
lolol..yeah my thoughts exactly.
so..erm..are they better than the 'normal' engines?
i heard they were good for thrashing...

EDIT: what the..:confused:..BOS is playing tricks on me again

Last edited:

transcendent

HSC
N/A
thanks for the helps guys. lol about the VTEC question. i had to find that out from wikipedia. kinda get it. man that site you gave isn't going to help anyone who knows nothing about engines. it's hard to picture, i think animation would be better. that 3 stage hybrid SOHC VTEC-E/DOHC looks interesting.
is it possible to have a sports car with relatively good fuel economy great performance?

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
transcendent said:
is it possible to have a sports car with relatively good fuel economy great performance?
The Porsche Cayman S is rated at about 9.5L/100 I believe, which is really quite good especially for an S variant.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
turbochargers force air into the combustion chamber. more air and more fuel means bigger bang and greater performance when coupled with an ECU which monitors the air and fuel ratio and regulates it so that you get the most bang for the fuel and air you use. this increases high end performance but only activated when the car is moving with the air flowing into the turbo.

i'm not so sure about the supercharger.

correct me if i'm wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)