HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - thoughts (SPOILERS!!) (1 Viewer)

Legham

HSC
I would of called the kids Frank and Bob. would be way more humorous.

Speaking of names, It may be the end of 'Harry Potter' books, but has anything been ruled out about 'Albus Potter' books? cause JKR could cash in on that as well if she hasn't mentioned anything like that.

HSC
N/A
I reckon that'd just kill Harry Potter.

Let's face it, Rowling isn't all that subtle with names. Malfoy. Pius Thicknesse. Fudge. Sirius, Remus. All the house founders (and, yeah, alliteration).

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
cuppy said:
getting Malfoy's wand and everything. and also bumping into Neville and telling him to kill Nagini, AND the fact that Voldemort decided to summon the Sorting Hat which enabled Neville to get the sword (Neville had no knowledge of the horcruxes and Harry merely told him to kill the snake so if the sword of Gryffindor never came to him he probably would have been killed attempting to destroy Nagini).
i totally agree on this part, it was a bit random, i kinda guess it was there to to shed a bit of light on Nevilles courage and stuff.

vulgarfraction said:
Let's face it, Rowling isn't all that subtle with names. Malfoy. Pius Thicknesse. Fudge. Sirius, Remus. All the house founders (and, yeah, alliteration).
Pius Thicknesse + Fudge, were the worst names ever!!

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Legham said:
I would of called the kids Frank and Bob. would be way more humorous.

Speaking of names, It may be the end of 'Harry Potter' books, but has anything been ruled out about 'Albus Potter' books? cause JKR could cash in on that as well if she hasn't mentioned anything like that.
Oh hai :eek:

It wasn't the names per se that infuriated me, it was the cliched-ridden epilogue.

However as Rowling is writing for a pre-teen, adolescent audience it makes sense that there is a moral coda present vs. say the subtlety inherent in Austen's (JKR gleaned her writing style from her) canonical texts.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
so it turns out that ron and harry became aurors at the ministry after all
“Harry and Ron utterly revolutionized the Auror Department,” Rowling said. “They are now the experts. It doesn’t matter how old they are or what else they’ve done.”
Meanwhile, Hermione, Ron’s wife, is “pretty high up” in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, despite laughing at the idea of becoming a lawyer in “Deathly Hallows.”
As for his occupation, Harry, along with Ron, is working at the Auror Department at the Ministry of Magic. After all these years, Harry is now the department head.
Victoire, who was snogging Teddy — Lupin and Tonks’ son — is Bill and Fleur’s eldest.)
i was wondering who that Victoire girl was :D

Luna Lovegood, the eccentric Ravenclaw who was fascinated with Crumple-Horned Snorkacks and Umgubular Slashkilters, continues to march to the beat of her own drum.
I think that Luna is now traveling the world looking for various mad creatures,” Rowling said. “She’s a naturalist, whatever the wizarding equivalent of that is.”
Luna comes to see the truth about her father, eventually acknowledging there are some creatures that don’t exist.
“But I do think that she’s so open-minded and just an incredible person that she probably would be uncovering things that no one’s ever seen before,” Rowling said.
LOL!

more on http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/ i just thought i'l post some stuff :)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
why should harry and ron make good aurors, they arent particularly good wizards, and harry is good for being like, a good person, not a good fighter

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
are you kidding me?
harry: the best in his generation at DADA, arguably the best alive for defeating voldamort, but even that aside everyone said he was good and he got an outstanding. Also he realises how battle works, and his strategises alot like mad eye did.

Ron: well hes not fantastic, but he isnt rubbish either. He was in the DA, he was with harry all the way, he destroyed a horcrux for god sake. He also has the right idea when it comes to how shit should work out, he realises the ministry was messing stuff up and i am sure he had some great ideas on how to fix it up.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Serius said:
are you kidding me?
harry: the best in his generation at DADA, arguably the best alive for defeating voldamort, but even that aside everyone said he was good and he got an outstanding. Also he realises how battle works, and his strategises alot like mad eye did.

Ron: well hes not fantastic, but he isnt rubbish either. He was in the DA, he was with harry all the way, he destroyed a horcrux for god sake. He also has the right idea when it comes to how shit should work out, he realises the ministry was messing stuff up and i am sure he had some great ideas on how to fix it up.
I wish he didn't destroy that horcrux, I wanted to know if Riddle-Hermione and Harry were going to get their sexy on.

Harry I could see as an Auror but not Ronald. Think about it, Ron has never conquered any major hurdles alone in the book besides mating with Hermione (and in Chess). And possibly that ludicrous sequence where he spoke in Parseltongue to open the CoS.

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
I imagine Ron would be riding a lot on Harry's reputation, and also the fact that he fought in the great battle, he was with harry all the way and he ruined voldemorts locket. He isnt great or anything outstanding that we would think make him a good aura, but he is intelligent [just not in a bookish way] and he has very good organizing skills. I think he initially scraped in on his history and Harry's reputation and after that, the pair combined made a lot of changes and a name for themselves.

What else would he be really? JKR tried to give them all what she thought fitted their character and Ron's whole life he has been a tag along, so in this he can continue to tag along all the way up the ladder as an aura.

Legham

HSC
Ron seemed way smarter in this last book. He came up with a few good ideas and stuff..

HSC
I agree with Serius. We all knew Harry and Ron would become Aurors, and Harry was good at DADA..Ron well by the final book he got there. It's mentioned throughout the book about how he is getting better.

If only she mentioned who Draco got married to and what he is working as:(

ChrissyGirl2007

Vivimus Vivamus
HSC
i reckon that the epilogue was stupid.. it was way too short and it was basicaly saying "and they lived happily ever after". i didnt want it to end like that. i reckon for it to be a good epilogue it needed to be like a 100 pages long or like a whole other book.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
ChrissyGirl2007 said:
i reckon that the epilogue was stupid.. it was way too short and it was basicaly saying "and they lived happily ever after". i didnt want it to end like that. i reckon for it to be a good epilogue it needed to be like a 100 pages long or like a whole other book.
That's the whole reason she did it. So she wouldn't have to write another book.

HSC
Are there any transcripts of these interviews online, or are they only available in news report form?

kloudsurfer

HSC
This is what that article says about the epilogue,

If you found the epilogue of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” rather vague, then J.K. Rowling achieved her goal.The author was shooting for “nebulous,” something “poetic.” She wanted the readers to feel as if they were looking at Platform 9¾ through the mist, unable to make out exactly who was there and who was not.
Kinda like what I said in my post...

edan

HSC
I read the first dozen or so pages of posts so I'm not sure if anyone has answered these queries yet. But:

1) In regards to Hermione saying she knows the Obliviate charm only in theory, yet she modified the memories of parents: Theres quite a few memory charms, not simply the Obliviate charm e.g. the confundus charm. I was always under the impression that Obliviate simply wiped a person of one or more of their memories, while there was another charm (never actually named) to implant new ones.

2) Ron's parseltounge: a pretty crummy plot device I'll admit. I assumed that he drew on the connection he had with the locket to say some paresltongue. It had a profound impact on him compared to the other two, and therefore he displayed some of Voldemorts traits: anger, suspicion etc. Parsletounge could be added to the list I spose.

And the epilouge cracked me up. SO CHEESY! The names were terrible. Harry is a sadistic parent to name a child Albus Severus. I'd sure as hell tease him. But I still loved the book. After the OoTP, this is my favourite. The epilogue couldve been heaps better if done differently. If it was like a year or two after the end of the book, and society was slowly rebuilding itself after the chaos of Voldemerts regime, struggling to put such violence and loss (particularly Harry's) behind them, i would've left the novels on a note of dignity. And if JKR writes some crap book about Harry's kids I'll shoot myslef.

I thought Hedwig's or Dobby's death were the saddest. They bothed loved Harry unconditionally and Hedwig was Harrys only connection to magic when he was at the Dursleys. Remus and Tonks death honestly didnt bother me. I thought their whole romantic relationship was so cliche.

Something my friend is really annoyed about is the invisibility cloak. According to the book its meant to be impenetrably invisible, yet Mad-Eye clearly sees Harry through it in book 4. have i missed something about it?

HSC
1. She confunded her parents, different to obliviate. You are right obvliate just wipes the memory.

2. Ron said he just copied what Harry said, which i guess COULD work... but your explanation makes more sense tbh.

3. THe invisibility cloak... good point actually, hadnt thought of that one.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
sadest part in the book IMHO:

On this spot in on the night of October 31, 1981, Lily and James Potter lost their lives. Their son Harry, remains the only wizard ever to have survived the killing curse. This house, invisible to Muggles, has been left in its ruined state as a monument to the Potters and as a reminder of the violence that tore apart their family.

that bit really got to me

Last edited:

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
The epilogue was stupid. The rest of the book was good, but the epilogue.. wtfff?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)