HARRY POTTER & THE HBP - what did you think? (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

scoby_2000

HSC
transcendent said:
Professor Albus Dumbledore: 'You have no idea of the remorse Professor Snape felt when he realised how Lord Voldemort had interpreted the prophesy, Harry. I believe it to be the greatest regret of his life and the reason that he returned -'

Harry Potter: 'Professor... how can you be sure Snape's on our side?'

Professor Albus Dumbledore: 'I am sure. I trust Severus Snape completely.'

Trust him to his deathbed. You old fool.

however....did it not (somewhere in the book) go a little like this

HARRY: but dumbledore your the greatest wizard ever.
DUMBLEDORE: that may be but my mistakes are much greater!!

(very inaccurate translation but there is something in there said like that....bout pg 300ish)

and what was one of dumbledore's biggest mistakes???? TRUSTING SNAPE...

i thought this gave it away a bit..... :(

i think harry is a horcrux just coz that wud b cool

maybe moldy voldy because he put all his power into killing harry actually made the horcrux but failed the actual killing???....he half did his job?

persephone

HSC
Well she shot down the whole Harry and Hermione thing. Unfortunately. But I refuse to believe it:

From mugglenet.

"ES: We thought it was clearer than ever that Harry and Ginny are an item and Ron and Hermione — although we think you made it painfully obvious in the first five books —

JKR: [points to herself and whispers] So do I!

ES: What was that?

JKR: [More loudly] Well so do I! So do I!

[All laugh; Melissa doubles over, hysterical, and may have died.]

ES: Harry/Hermione shippers - delusional!

JKR: Well no, I'm not going to - Emerson, I am not going to say they're delusional! They are still valued members of my readership! I am not going to use the word delusional. I am however, going to say — now I am trusting both of you to do the spoiler thing when you write this up —

[More laughter.]

JKR: I will say, that yes, I personally feel - well it's going to be clear once people have read book six. I mean, that’s it. It’s done, isn’t it? We know. Yes, we do now know that it's Ron and Hermione. I do feel that I have dropped heavy -

[All crack up]

JKR: - hints. ANVIL-sized, actually, hints, prior to this point. I certainly think even if subtle clues hadn't been picked up by the end of “Azkaban,” that by the time we hit Krum in Goblet...

But Ron — I had a lot of fun with that in this book. I really enjoyed writing the Ron/Lavender business, and the reason that was enjoyable was Ron up to this point has been quite immature compared to the other two and he kind of needed to make himself worthy of Hermione. Now, that didn't mean necessarily physical experience but he had to grow up emotionally and now he's taken a big step up. Because he's had the meaningless physical experience - let’s face it, his emotions were never deeply engaged with Lavender -

[Much laughter in which Melissa emits a "Won-Won"]

JKR: - and he's realized that that is ultimately not what he wants, which takes him a huge emotional step forward.

ES: So he's got a little bit more than a teaspoon, now there’s a tablespoon?

JKR: Yeah, I think. [Laughter]

MA: Watching all this, were you surprised when you first logged on and found this intense devotion to this thing that you knew was not going to happen?

JKR: Yes. Well, you see, I'm a relative newcomer to the world of shipping, because for a long time, I didn't go on the net and look up Harry Potter. A long time. Occasionally I had to, because there were weird news stories or something that I would have to go and check, because I was supposed to have said something I hadn’t said. I had never gone and looked at fan sites, and then one day I did and oh - my - god. Five hours later or something, I get up from the computer shaking slightly [all laugh]. ‘What is going on?’ And it was during that first mammoth session that I met the shippers, and it was a most extraordinary thing. I had no idea there was this huge underworld seething beneath me.

ES: She’s putting it into a positive light!

JKR: Well I am, I am, but you know. I want to make it clear that delusional is your word and not mine! [Much laughter.]

MA: You're making our lives a lot easier by laying it on the table -

JKR: Well I think anyone who is still shipping Harry/Hermione after this book -

ES: [whispered] Delusional!

JKR: Uh - no! But they need to go back and reread, I think.

ES: Thank you.

JKR: Yeah.

MA: That is going to -

JKR: Will it make your lives slightly easier?

[All three]: Yeah, yeah.

JKR: I think so.

MA: I have to tell you, I'm looking forward to [this coming out], because, you know, a lot of this is predicated upon a necessary hate for another character. Ron has suffered horribly at the hands of Harry/Hermione shippers.

JKR: That bit makes me very uncomfortable, actually. Yeah, that bit does make me uncomfortable.

ES: Honestly, I think the Harry/Hermione shippers are a very small percentage of the population anyway.

MA: Yeah, if you do a general poll -

ES: They seem more prominant online, but that’s just because the online fandom is very -

MA: Militant was the best word I heard -

JKR: Militant is a beautifully chosen word. Energetic. Feisty.

[Laughter.]"

cutiepie89576

HSC
i cried too when i read it ...it was heartbreaking. i still dont understand how dumbledore could have trust snape and i am angry that noone ever listened or took harrys views seriously.
also i doubt that harrys a horcrux coz voldemort did try and kill harry. im so pissed at the whole harry/ginny relationship. they shouldnt have got together!!!

klh

HSC
what else can we learn from voldemort? what were his weakensses, i mean he we know that he likes to be cruel, secretive and dominating, dislikes friends, loner and likes trophies that he sees fit to store a horcrux. all i can see is th ehorcrux bit.

and my theory is due to priori incatetem, the wands wont fight each other, but what about Ollivander? he was kidnapped or napped right? maybe his task is to make a new wand for voldemort, powerful but differnt to harry's core. i don see any other reason, and fortescue? maybe his DE just like ice cream...

froglenn

HSC
N/A
(Spoiler alert)

ok, maybe i'm delusional or overly optimistic, but i do think Snape is still a good guy. these are some of the clues i picked up:

1. Snape showed hesitation when accepting the fact that he might need to kill Dumbledore in the process of doing the Unbreakable Vow
2. Dumbledore and Snape argued where both were angry (very rare, since Snape has always appeared in control, especially in the presence of Dumbledore), most likely arguing the fact that Dumbledore tells Snape that he needs to kill him to prevent Draco and the Malfoys from being killed
3. Dumbledore pleaded Snape to kill him in the tower, because Dumbledore would NEVER plead for his life
4. When drinking that potion at the rock, Dumbledore constantly pleads for certain others to be left alive (most likely Harry and Draco and? his parents) before finally yelling "kill me"
5. (Pure theory) Rowling introduces the Unbreakable Vow in this book, because this is the reason why Dumbledore absolutely trusts Snape, because they undertook an Unbreakable Vow. I seriously doubt Dumbledore thought wrongly about Snape, because of all the teachers in Voldemort's time, only he saw through the lies and the flattery of Voldemort. Now Snape has about 1/100 of Voldemort's social skills, so I don't see how Dumbledore could've been wrong about him.
6. this book is designed to give readers a greater insight into Snape, the half blood prince, which is the reason why the title "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" wasn't used for the 2nd book, because Snape played a very little part in that

or maybe all of this is wrong and i'm absolutely delusional, i'll leave that decision to you :p

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I just finished it today (lol, uni really isn't conductive to reading books for enjoyment)

Anyways, I don't have any major theories...although, I can't believe Snape was the HBP, I was fully expecting it to be Voldemort...and I can't believe JKR killed off Dumbledore :(:(:(

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
On another note, I remember JKR saying ages ago she couldn't guarentee Harry would survive all 7 years of Hogwarts...It wouldn't surprise me if he died in the next book...hopefully she would then follow him into the afterlife (in the 7th book, I'm not talking about writing another book afterwards) and allow him to be with Lily and James, Sirius and Dumbledore, as Harry has noted in the HBP, those that have truly cared about him (well, apart from the Weasley's)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
everyone: remember to watch the HP special at 7:30 tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
Maybe there will be some sort of object with which he can contact the dead...maybe that divination teacher will play a bigger role in that....hmmm

also has anybody noticed the congruencies between the harry/ginny relationship and the james/lilly relationship. even superficially based upon looks?

EDIT: does anybody have any idea what the next book is called....probably way too early...

Last edited:

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Although CoS was suppose to be called HP & Half Blood Prince, I think it refered to Tom being the half blood heir to Slytherin, and she simply used the same title for the 6th book but it doesn't actually have much to do with the Chamber of Secrets.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i think thats the main thing but theres the interview and the overall hype is fun to watch - if you're as immature as i am :p

jennylim

HSC
i still believe, like some other people, that snape is redeemable/double agent of double agents.

not only is he damn funny (chapter 2...all his putdowns of bellatrix), he seems far too inscrutable to actually understand. but still, this is what i pick up...

1) he stops death eaters killing harry by saying something to the effect of "voldie wants to kill him"
2) in fact, he shields quite a few students.
3) he did hesitate slightly in making the unbreakable vow. in addition to this - maybe i'm deceiving myself - but i picked up vibes throughout that said that he really was on the good side. he kept trying to find out exactly what draco was up to, for example. and i also thought that the stuff he said in chapter 2 was "i'm-actually-good-trying-to-convince-you-that-i'm-bad" rather than "i'm-bad-and-you-think-i'm-just-pretending-to-be-bad"
4) i refuse to believe dumbledore could be that mistaken, and be in a position where he pleads for his life. just refuse to. i mean yes, he has been mistaken (see barty crouch aka moody), but this is just a much greater scale. my theory is he just didn't want draco to kill him, and he'd rather snapey did it...or perhaps he wanted snape to do it so voldemort would really think he was on his side.
5) the look of hatred and revulsion on snape's face...could it possibly hatred for himself? harry, when ladling the evil potion down dumbledore's throat, hated himself and was repulsed, too.

haha ok those are just me trying desperately to clear a guy i was beginning to really like and feel sorry for in OotP. can't accept this stuff.

on a much lighter note, here's a BIG chuckle about that interview on mugglenet.com.... :)

i feel sorry for the H/Hrs who are genuinely upset and disappointed, but the militant ones are actually very scary...www.hermionepotter.net is one example. i mean guys, it was very obvious ron and hermione were going to go out. i'm not saying you couldn't hope for harry and hermione (or think they were better suited) but you can't say that JKR was misleading you. or making H/Hr more obvious (as some sites claimed).

scoby_2000

HSC
Snape Killed Dumbledore Only Because If Draco Did Not He Would Be Killed....snape Could Not Let This Happen....thus Snape Killed To Save Draco....thus Snape Is A Good Bloke!!!

Join The Sss!!! Save Severus Snape!!!

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Kill Snape! I'd be so pissed off if Snape did something 'noble' in the next Harry Potter. Go suck Snape's dick!

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
The_highwayman said:
Maybe there will be some sort of object with which he can contact the dead...maybe that divination teacher will play a bigger role in that....hmmm

also has anybody noticed the congruencies between the harry/ginny relationship and the james/lilly relationship. even superficially based upon looks?

EDIT: does anybody have any idea what the next book is called....probably way too early...
oh god that is scary....Lily had red hair as well...what colour are Ginny's eyes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)