High school determinant

• Median Atar

• Band 6 rate

• Average Atar

• Others

Results are only viewable after voting.
HSC
won't median ATAR give better judgment than band 6 rate in determining high school ranks in NSW?? (like in Western Australia)?? Why they don't do that instead? There are discrepancies in using band 6 rates for high school ranks as some courses are way easier than some (like maths ext2 vs maths standard) as an 80 will already beat a 95 in standard so what's the point of using band 6 rates as the main indicator?? NOT FAIR!!! That's the reason why some clearly better schools are ridiculously ranked lower than some worse ones! Making parents deluded into thinking that paying a big sum of money for their children in private schools can get them good results while in reality, many comprehensive schools are better than the privates! Likewise for selective schools ranked 'lower' than privates! Someone should fix it and use median ATAR to be the main and ONLY indicator for high school rankings. Coz after all whoever gets a better ATAR is smarter and the is one accepted into uni course (excluding other factors), the school with better ATARs wins! No one cares if u have like 100 band 6s in some low scaling subjects that don't add much value in your ATAR, u would rather have a mid/high band 5 in a high scaling subject!

MEDIAN ATAR REPLACE BAND 6 SUCCESS RATE FOR DETERMING HIGH SCHOOL RANKS!!!!
NEED TO FIX THAT UP ASAP to present a clearer picture for everyone including students, teachers and PARENTS!

AN EXAMPLE NSW HIGH SCHOOL RANKERS SHOULD LEARN FORM: https://www.watoday.com.au/national...s-perth-school-principal-20190112-p50r0e.html

Last edited:
HSC
Schools legally do not have access to a students ATAR, its the kids who voluntarily disclose their ATAR to the school who then uses that data for their own analysis. All they have access to are their hsc mark, which then organisations like better studies use to make "rankings".

HSC
Schools legally do not have access to a students ATAR, its the kids who voluntarily disclose their ATAR to the school who then uses that data for their own analysis. All they have access to are their hsc mark, which then organisations like better studies use to make "rankings".
yeah i knew that but like nesa?uac? should organise and provide that info. My career adviser also asks year 12 students to submit their atars through a survey, so i think that should be a method too like conducted by a a teacher. :)

SpiderX1X

HSC
Agreed. So many private schools cheat this "Success Rate" system too, they restrict students from doing certain subjects so they can get a better success rate. Yes, in comprehensive schools there are restrictions too but sooo much more flexible, so keep that in mind.

SpiderX1X

HSC
An example would be Al-Faisal College and Penrith High. Al-Faisal's success rate is higher than Penrith's however Penrith's median ATAR is higher.

The reason why Al-Faisal ranks better is because they literally force like 2/3rds of it's students to do Genny Maths and Senior Science (check the honour roll if you don't believe me) and thus they get more Band 6s. Tbh it's kind of cheating the system and it's not a fair way of knowing how good a school actually is. Median ATAR is much better system.

HSC
An example would be Al-Faisal College and Penrith High. Al-Faisal's success rate is higher than Penrith's however Penrith's median ATAR is higher.

The reason why Al-Faisal ranks better is because they literally force like 2/3rds of it's students to do Genny Maths and Senior Science (check the honour roll if you don't believe me) and thus they get more Band 6s. Tbh it's kind of cheating the system and it's not a fair way of knowing how good a school actually is. Median ATAR is much better system.
bro that's exactly what i mean so many private schools do genny maths and ask their students to do the easy subjects. Even some top fully selective girl schools also always do hsie/ low level maths subjects which compared to ext/ext2 or science (even a high band 5) also scale better than them. This is actually a really unfair system tbh. Really happy u supported me. Dk why there are still two votes for band 6 rates probably they are not TRUE high achievers lol :)😆

SpiderX1X

HSC
bro that's exactly what i mean so many private schools do genny maths and ask their students to do the easy subjects. Even some top fully selective girl schools also always do hsie/ low level maths subjects which compared to ext/ext2 or science (even a high band 5) also scale better than them. This is actually a really unfair system tbh. Really happy u supported me. Dk why there are still two votes for band 6 rates probably they are not TRUE high achievers lol :)😆
Haha no problem, was always strongly against this idea of "Success Rate" when it could easily be exploited. Had a guy from my school move to another private school and he was wondering why their cohort was dumb but their school rank was higher than ours. I saw the honour roll for their school and it was mainly Genny Maths and low scaling subjects 😆😆 😆 😆

HSC
Haha no problem, was always strongly against this idea of "Success Rate" when it could easily be exploited. Had a guy from my school move to another private school and he was wondering why their cohort was dumb but their school rank was higher than ours. I saw the honour roll for their school and it was mainly Genny Maths and low scaling subjects 😆😆 😆 😆
he is dumb as well he deserves it 😆 😆 🤣🤣

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)