Hillary Clinton OR Barack Obama? (1 Viewer)

Which one would you choose?

• Barack Obama

Votes: 189 76.2%
  • Hillary Clinton

Votes: 59 23.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Slidey said:
I'm going to take a poke in the dark and guess that the people who like Obama are the same ones who liked Mark Latham.
Well, you missed.

Ahh, Mark Latham. Words cant describe him. Really.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
"I think that (Obama victory) would just encourage those who wanted completely to destabilise and destroy Iraq, and create chaos and victory for the terrorists to hang on and hope for (an) Obama victory," Mr Howard told the Nine Network.

"If I was running al-Qaeda in Iraq, I would put a circle around March 2008, and pray, as many times as possible, for a victory not only for Obama, but also for the Democrats."

Obama has the terrorist vote cornered.

spiny norman

HSC
Graney said:
She cried on camera in a deliberate and insincere gesture. She cried because she was losing and apparently the country needs her.

She should take Malcolm Frasers reflection on crying on TV after his 1983 defeat "public figures should never show unrestrained emotion".
Or that time Bob Hawke cried talking about his daughter's heroin addiction?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Hilary is same old same old. Obama is new.

Or something like that. I hear that Clinton accepts massive donations from pharmaceutical companies. So uh, Obama all the way.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Bob Hawke sells solar powered yachts and is a fucking champion drinker.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I'm actually a dual citizen and I intend to cast my vote in the primaries for Obama. A couple things I like about him:

- His approach in debates. He often takes on arguments by trying to identify underlying premises which he can then debunk rather than sinking to relatively empty rhetoric. I like the fact that he is willing to offer a reasoned (rather than merely rhetorical) approach, even if it doesn't help his cause in the long run. I also like the fact that he recognises that some areas of debate are simply down to opinion (i.e. they lack an objective resolution). There are areas in which Clinton has said 'someone here is right, and someone is wrong' where Obama has instead said 'we differ in opinion and this is what I stand for'. Naturally counter-examples can be found for these things - inevitably he does fall back on the typical rhetoric at some points - but on the whole I find his approach more commendable than that of other politicians.

- His outlook seems somewhat more 'international'. He doesn't speak up the central importance of the American people to the extent that a lot of other politicians do. He seems to appreciate the importance of playing a part in the international community (be it by ratifying climate change treaties or respecting the sovereignty of other nations to a greater degree... etc). On the whole he strikes me as less US-centric than the other candidates.

In general I also like what he stands for (compare, for stark contrast, Huckabee* who supposedly supports the death penalty, the war on iraq, creationism and biblical literalism, and opposes gay marriage/civil unions, abortions, gun control and homosexuals in the military). However, there is enough overlap between Obama and Clinton that I would be happy with either (I will be happy as long as a Democrat makes it through at the end). Obama just impresses me that little bit more.

(*Edit: I should note that Huckabee also plays bass in a rock band, which is way cool and gets my full endorsement. However, this would perhaps constitute one of the worst reasons to vote a candidate into one of the most influential offices in the world.)

Last edited:
HSC
When I heard that Clinton was running, I tuned out. I just don't see her, or Obama, or any of the candidates as someone capable of pulling America out of its quagmire. Then again, I guess that would be like trying to save someone from drowning with a fishing pole...while standing in quicksand.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
quixote studios said:
When I heard that Clinton was running, I tuned out. I just don't see her, or Obama, or any of the candidates as someone capable of pulling America out of its quagmire. Then again, I guess that would be like trying to save someone from drowning with a fishing pole...while standing in quicksand.
Do you mean you think the country is screwed whether democrats or republicans are elcted, or that the country is screwed if democrats are elected?

Because honestly, democrats can do so much good for that country. A few things that country needs dealt with:
Social security needs to be up to par with the rest of the Western world
Healthcare needs to be up to par with the rest of the Western world
Gun laws need to be stricter
Death penalty needs to be removed
Education needs to be up to par with the rest of the Western world
And tying in with education - holy crap, can we PLEASE get rid of any reference to creationism?

HSC
I'm talking about the fiscal monstrosity that is the United States. Social Security and Universal Healthcare is all good and well, but I'd like to talk to the accountant who manages to balance the books for the Feds. The middle class and largest tax pool is shrinking, while those receiving said welfare are getting more numerous. And it'll get way, way worse before it starts to get better. Deepening recession, diving currency...

And of course, we have that cash and corpse sink, Iraq.

But I digress...

You say that the Democrats will be far better than the Republicans. Maybe, but looking at their two years in power in Congress, I doubt things will change much. America's too...well, fucked up.

Gun laws: "SECOND AMENDMENT!!! WE GOTSA HAVE GUNS TO DEFEND FROM THE KING OF ENGLAND! LIVE FREE OR DIE! YEARGH!"

Creationism, Abortion, Religion in general: "YOU'RE HOMOSEXUAL! HOMOSEXUALS ARE THE DEVIL! THEREFORE, YOU'RE THE DEVIL!"

Seriously, these issues are political poison. Democracy my ass, interest groups and lobbies have far more power than rationably fathomable.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I don't care about their internal affairs policies, but foreign affairs-wise (which actually effects us all), Obama is much better than Clinton.

Then again Kucinich, Ron Paul, Gravel and Dodd are better than both of them in that respect.

But out of the electable candidates Edwards and Obama are the best. Obama is going to have some difficulty though. There are red-neck's out there that would rather have his jaws on either side of a curb if you know what I mean.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Both are pretty bad choices if you ask me. Obama is black and Clinton is a woman. This year could see the rise of a third party

bengore

BLSG
HSC
The First Negro or the first woman president is crazy enough.
I hope Obama, this would erase the well known racist attitudes White Americans
has on the African American Society. You wouldn't see something like this
happen 30 years ago or even 10 years ago so it would be a huge accomplishment and compliment for the US.
The only positive thing about Clinton becoming president is that it would make
Billy the first lady, that is all. She's a psycho neurotic politician (as shown in the Sydney Morning Herald - Her facial expression when won a seat over Obama) who
is as smart as George W Bush (IQ- 50).

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Serius said:
Both are pretty bad choices if you ask me. Obama is black and Clinton is a woman. This year could see the rise of a third party
All polls show about 80 to 90% acceptance of a black president or a female president.

So I doubt it.

Interestingly, people were more accepting of a black president than a female one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)