• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Homosexuality in Australia (1 Viewer)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Seems to me like you're worse towards Christians than what they are towards homosexuals.

Excuse me while I spit on your university degree's.
It's an action, a symbolic one as much as it is harmless. If you get offended by a symbolic action, then that really is your problem, isn't it?

spyro14

HSC
No, that's what he's saying. I shouldn't do it because it would offend Christians. Gays shouldn't get married because it offends their sense of the holiness of marriage.

Well, bugger that.
Right, since a neutral third party sides against you, automatically they misinterpreted the aforementioned.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
No, that's what he's saying. I shouldn't do it because it would offend Christians. Gays shouldn't get married because it offends their sense of the holiness of marriage.

Well, bugger that.
I wonder if gays will expect Christians to conduct their services.

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
Next they'll be saying all homosexuals should be deported and state it is against the word of the koran the literal word of god while the prophet was experimenting with recreational drugs...Ouch don't want to hurt religious tolerance because the multiculturalists think gays go against all that.
shut ur face don't u dare compare da words of the koran, to which meanings n purposes, to something that has no meaning nor purpose to such as the worst possible choice such as homoz

spyro14

HSC
It's an action, a symbolic one as much as it is harmless. If you get offended by a symbolic action, then that really is your problem, isn't it?
A don't care how little you value sentiment, so no it isn't my problem. You're the picture of mental health. Controvertist by nature, cold in action.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
A don't care how little you value sentiment, so no it isn't my problem. You're the picture of mental health. Controvertist by nature, cold in action.
Sentiment and sensibilities for religious tradition have gotten a lot of people killed over the years. You don't have the right to not be offended.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
I don't think gays would want Christians to conduct their ceremonies.
In many cases, no they wouldn't - but this wouldnt stop them filing suits against discriminating Christians, now, would it.
Personally, I don't think 'marriage' belongs to the Church. I do think the Church belongs to the Church, however. I want its freedom ensured.

Tangent

HSC
My understanding is that marrigage is the ultimate form of expressing love and commitement. Its not about being allowed to have it, its about beign able to have the power to give it

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
In many cases, no they wouldn't - but this wouldnt stop them filing suits against discriminating Christians, now, would it.
Personally, I don't think 'marriage' belongs to the Church. I do think the Church belongs to the Church, however. I want its freedom ensured.
Oh, sure. The Church/es have the right to decide whom it marries and under what circumstances. But it has no right to dictate who can marry under what circumstances when it comes to the state and the law, which is what it is currently doing now.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Oh, sure. The Church/es have the right to decide whom it marries and under what circumstances. But it has no right to dictate who can marry under what circumstances when it comes to the state and the law, which is what it is currently doing now.
Not really Kway. Majority rules.

spyro14

HSC
Sentiment and sensibilities for religious tradition have gotten a lot of people killed over the years. You don't have the right to not be offended.
I now start with the infamous, Oh Please. If not about religion it's about something else. Wars in the past were destined to happen with or without religion just as wars will inevitably occur in the future unless the sun collides with earth. And you know what, we are so prone to fighting that our disintergrated corpses would probably continue to fight in one way or another.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Not really Kway. Majority rules.
The people who have the power to change these laws are all dictated by what their churches tell them (Kevin Rudd, anyone?). Consistent polls show the majority of the electorate wish for gay marriage to be legal.

spyro14

HSC
the average time between something incorrect posted on wikipedia, and been fixed is 5 minutes
I'm 95% certain you pulled that average time out of nowhere. Wikipedia serves its purpose but at the end of the day, I'm not willing to risk much on the quality of its content and authenticity.

I'll admit it is extremely helpful.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I now start with the infamous, Oh Please. If not about religion it's about something else. Wars in the past were destined to happen with or without religion just as wars will inevitably occur in the future unless the sun collides with earth. And you know what, we are so prone to fighting that our disintergrated corpses would probably continue to fight in one way or another.
What has that got to do with the price of fish? I'm talking about persecution of individuals for "offending" religious sensibilities (Salman Rushdie anyone?), which is totally different from parochial altrusim that prompts war.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I'm 95% certain you pulled that average time out of nowhere. Wikipedia serves its purpose but at the end of the day, I'm not willing to risk much on the quality of its content and authenticity.

I'll admit it is extremely helpful.
And that's why you rely on the citations which, I believe, I pointed out.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
The people who have the power to change these laws are all dictated by what their churches tell them (Kevin Rudd, anyone?). Consistent polls show the majority of the electorate wish for gay marriage to be legal.
I tend to think of Rudd as more of a populist, actually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)