Homosexuality in Australia (1 Viewer)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

jiratic

HSC
I find it perplexing that biblical notions of 'thou shalt not judge', or 'he who is without sin cast the first stone' are flexible and totally up for debate.
however, extracts from levitcius and the old testament, that denounce homosexuality which might i add do not consitute a major part of modenr catholicism, are beyond reproach, and inarguable.

On another note, I have never heard a single logical reason why to ban gay marriage; on the simple principle that marriage, first and foremost, has been a financial transaction and later a civil matter between two consenting adults of sound mind and a goverment.

noone is forcing you to acknowledge homosexuality, people ask that you let the government do its job, and provide equal rights.

and no civil unions BS, separate but equal, is not equality at all,

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Homosexual marriage would undermine the true value of actual marriage in society. If heterosexual marriage is no longer seen as the most valuable relationship in society, but only relative to various other forms of relationships, then the birth-rate will plummet and everything will hit the fan.

It's all well to accept homosexuality and homosexual couples in society, but having a few of them encroach on marriage in this way (most homos dont want to marry anyway) goes too far in compromising the health of the broader community - all for the shameless demands of a few

HSC
Homosexual marriage would undermine the true value of actual marriage in society. If heterosexual marriage is no longer seen as the most valuable relationship in society, but only relative to various other forms of relationships, then the birth-rate will plummet and everything will hit the fan.

It's all well to accept homosexuality and homosexual couples in society, but having a few of them encroach on marriage in this way (most homos dont want to marry anyway) goes too far in compromising the health of the broader community - all for the shameless demands of a few
Please provide evidence showing relationship between homosexual marriage and falling fertility rates.

aussie-boy

HSC
If heterosexual marriage is no longer seen as the most valuable relationship in society, but only relative to various other forms of relationships, then the birth-rate will plummet and everything will hit the fan.
Your first post on this page was rather convincing.

This one, however, is laughable. Do you really think that straight people's major life goal is to engage in society's "most valuable relationship" and that children are incidental to fulfilling this incredible desire to get married?

But people are never going to forget that only man + woman -> child... at the end of the day, marriage is just a word.

meeatu

HSC
Homosexuality is progress? What an unfortunate point of view
Learning to depend on logical thought over tradition is progress.
Learning to accept and to love, when we have no logical reason to hate is progress.
Learning to understand and (more importantly) to be willing to understand that which goes against your creed, morals and/or way of life is progress.
Learning that our own ideals, are no more important than the ideals of others is progress - Though it seems we're both a little rusty on this one, because frankly, hypocritical Ideaology, regurgitated over the years for no reason other than that it was written in a book (note: not even in the original rendition of the bible, -first written condemnation of homosexuality in any christian text is dated to AFTER it's translation from hebrew and aramaic) that has inspired years of suffering, and the torment of thousands is something that my ideals will not allow me to sit quietly about.

And as for the comment "Homosexuality is ultimately a sin, i do not have anything against them as people, i just don't approve of there lifestyle."
What If I told you that -From experience- The 'lifestyle' as you call it (though such a word conotes that all people of a single sexual orientation are defined solely by that and that their way of life centres around that) is not a choice at all, and instead, one part of what makes up that person. -how then, can dissapproving of a lifestyle that cannot be helped be any different from disapproving of us as people, both individual, and as a conjoined 'peoples'?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Learning to depend on logical thought over tradition is progress.
Learning to accept and to love, when we have no logical reason to hate is progress.
Learning to understand and (more importantly) to be willing to understand that which goes against your creed, morals and/or way of life is progress.
Learning that our own ideals, are no more important than the ideals of others is progress - Though it seems we're both a little rusty on this one, because frankly, hypocritical Ideaology, regurgitated over the years for no reason other than that it was written in a book (note: not even in the original rendition of the bible, -first written condemnation of homosexuality in any christian text is dated to AFTER it's translation from hebrew and aramaic) that has inspired years of suffering, and the torment of thousands is something that my ideals will not allow me to sit quietly about.

And as for the comment "Homosexuality is ultimately a sin, i do not have anything against them as people, i just don't approve of there lifestyle."
What If I told you that -From experience- The 'lifestyle' as you call it (though such a word conotes that all people of a single sexual orientation are defined solely by that and that their way of life centres around that) is not a choice at all, and instead, one part of what makes up that person. -how then, can dissapproving of a lifestyle that cannot be helped be any different from disapproving of us as people, both individual, and as a conjoined 'peoples'?
That's not a quote from me m8. Obviously I 'disapprove' of the lifestyle as much as I disapprove of the individuals who decide to lead such a life. It definately is a choice to lead a homosexual lifestyle m8. An individual may have a homosexual orientation, as I occasionally have murderous orientations, but the real question is whether individuals act on those feelings and therefore cross over into actual sin which spirals and multiplies out of control until it somehow touches every man and woman on the planet with its black death.

I am not hating or persecuting. I am admonishing sinners; one of the seven spiritual works of mercy. Other than that, your shallow understanding of "progress" for the sake of progress and "ideology" dont warrant replies

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
That's not a quote from me m8. Obviously I 'disapprove' of the lifestyle as much as I disapprove of the individuals who decide to lead such a life. It definately is a choice to lead a homosexual lifestyle m8. An individual may have a homosexual orientation, as I occasionally have murderous orientations, but the real question is whether individuals act on those feelings and therefore cross over into actual sin which spirals and multiplies out of control until it somehow touches every man and woman on the planet with its black death.

I am not hating or persecuting. I am admonishing sinners; one of the seven spiritual works of mercy. Other than that, your shallow understanding of "progress" for the sake of progress and "ideology" dont warrant replies
So you're saying that homosexuals should be alone then? That they should never pursue a sexual partner unless that partner is female? Which is quite impossible.

Your logic and reasoning continues to baffle me to no end mr iron. Also, you have still yet to explain how homosexual marraiges would have adverse effects on firtility/birth rates.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
So you're saying that homosexuals should be alone then? That they should never pursue a sexual partner unless that partner is female? Which is quite impossible.

Your logic and reasoning continues to baffle me to no end mr iron. Also, you have still yet to explain how homosexual marraiges would have adverse effects on firtility/birth rates.
I dont see why a poor woman should be tortured by a self-confessed homosexual. The openly gay are called to chastity and the unique freedom which comes from this self-mastery. Mission possible.

Marriage is about bringing life into the world. This is its real importance. When it no longer is about this because homosexuals are included, who cant produce life, then it sends a message to citizens that the state no longer values life, but rather only the demands of voting-age citizens living now. Children will continue to be looked on as unreasonable obstacles to the fun and pleasure and material consumption and other emptiness promised by the market. It's just one big victory for the broader culture of death that predominates in the West.

These are not just my personal views. Theyre the offical views of the largest single religion on the planet.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
I dont see why a poor woman should be tortured by a self-confessed homosexual. The openly gay are called to chastity and the unique freedom which comes from this self-mastery. Mission possible.

Marriage is about bringing life into the world. This is its real importance. When it no longer is about this because homosexuals are included, who cant produce life, then it sends a message to citizens that the state no longer values life, but rather only the demands of voting-age citizens living now. Children will continue to be looked on as unreasonable obstacles to the fun and pleasure and material consumption and other emptiness promised by the market. It's just one big victory for the broader culture of death that predominates in the West.

These are not just my personal views. Theyre the offical views of the largest single religion on the planet.

You seem to be labouring under the delusion that I only include males in my argument. It may have escaped your notice but there are also homosexual females in this world.

I don't know how you get the message that the state no longer values life when homosexuals are allowed to marry. I only see equality being afforded to a small minority group. The purpose of marriage is not to have babies but to celebrate 2 person's love and solidify their commitment. I have never heard of an instance where one person would say to another, "Let's get married so we can bring life into the world and be of value in the eyes of the state!".

And as for your last statement, only you seem to ranting on about "society's value of marriage" and "marriage is to bring life into this world". What a load of baloney. I used to think that you are a person of great intelligence and I had huge respect for you. But, the more I interacted with you, the more I seem realise that not much seems to be going on in that head of yours and that your fancy, dressed up words and nonsensical ramblings about christianity is but a facade.

Good day SIR!

aussie-boy

HSC
Children will continue to be looked on as unreasonable obstacles to the fun and pleasure and material consumption and other emptiness promised by the market. It's just one big victory for the broader culture of death that predominates in the West.
If there really are people who think like this, then I think we should do everything possible to encourage them not to have kids... they would be truly shocking parents.

Official views does not by default = those of the majority of Catholics.
You would struggle to find anyone supporting your viewpoint in the congregations of most local Sydney parishes.

There is really no such thing as "disapproval of individuals" in the mind of a true Catholic. Forgiveness and love make this impossible.

Love thy neighbour as thyself should always be #1 priority, whether they be a murderer, adulterist, pedophile or even, god forbid, homosexual

redmayne

HSC
Oh here we go. Yeah, condemn people because of the way they're born. The only arguments against homosexuality find their roots in religion, mainly Christianity in our society.

The Bible condemns it as an abomination, as well as sanctioning slavery of your daughter and the ownership of slaves, that you should be put to death for working on a saturday, eating shellfish is also an abomination, you can't approach the altar if you have a sight defect, you can't get a short hair cut, and that you can't plant two types of crops in the same field or wear clothes made from two types of materials.

So, on one hand we have a biological make up actually older than Christianity. And on the other we have rules that come from a book which is pretty much just a compilation of all the things this batty old group of men didn't like. An entire religion is based on a nicely written book of things they did and didn't like, and stories they found interesting.

And yet you, as well as many other right-wing nut jobs, think that this trash is justification for homophobia...

What actual arguments are there against homosexuality? None.

"In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with reality at any point." - Friedrich Nietzsche.

Nice, Friedrich, nice.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)