Homosexuality in Australia (2 Viewers)

What do you think of homosexuality in Australia?

• Yes, i strongly support it.

Votes: 673 48.5%
  • I somewhat support it.

Votes: 201 14.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 181 13.0%
  • I do not support it.

Votes: 334 24.0%

• Total voters

Travii

HSC
Why can't we all just live in peace without defamation? I think everyone just needs to remove their ignorance and bridge the lack of understanding..

We are all human....my blood is red.. as is yours....

Let's focus on fixing the world rather then trying to destroy it.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Why can't we all just live in peace without defamation? I think everyone just needs to remove their ignorance and bridge the lack of understanding..
Me too.

not gonna happen though.

Yeah but by denying homosexuals of rights Christians believe they're making the world a better and more holy place and other nonsense etc.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

We are all human....my blood is red.. as is yours....

Your blood is red? Oh no... *cuts self and observes the colour*

Nope, mine's definitely not red.

Channy17

HSC
I already know by posting in this thread, absolutely nothing will be achieved as those who are against homosexuals will continue to be against homosexuals, and those who support them, will continue to support them. But here goes.
Australia is a secular country. Do not even try to bring religion into the equation. it does not matter. that is just the bottom line. go fight another argument where you can use religion as a reason for life or values, but this isn't one of them.
It may be a good argument for someone who IS religious but you can not force your beliefs on others who have the full right not to agree. And by looking at the poll in this thread.. I think we can all tell whose winning this argument.

Sprangler

HSC
Religion does come into the equation you dingo ate my baby. In a country and a world where the majority of the population is religious, religion and the beliefs that come with it are a part of people's lives, and it's obviously going to mold their views on a subject e.g. homosexuality. What are you even talking about?

Last edited:
HSC
But Channy is still right. Australia is supposed to be a secular nation. There's nothing wrong with people being religious, but I would argue that this should *not* influence legislation. Of course it does influence people's views, but you would think that those such as politicians could look beyond their personal beliefs. There is also a significant number of people (one third) of Australians who are non-religious. Should the atheist politicians have the right to make policies affecting the religious?

In the end, personal belief with regard to religion (whether someone is religious or not) should not influence policy at all, imo.

Channy17

HSC
Nope I mean as a country you cannot involve religion if it claims to be secular. Personal beliefs should stay personal. thats what i mean.
why should australia hold christianity or catholic religion above other religions or people who dont have a religion if we're secular. simple.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
This isnt specifically a religious issue. It's a question of natural law. It's part of a bigger question about how far government is willing to go in undermining life...

HSC
This isnt specifically a religious issue. It's a question of natural law. It's part of a bigger question about how far government is willing to go in undermining life...
Should "promoting life" be merely numerical? More people being live isn't in and of itself a good thing; in fact. in many ways it is a bad thing. Surely improving the qualitative experience of being alive is more important than increasing the quantitiy of individuals who are live?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yes, you should only have as many children as you can afford. This is common sense. But when it comes to denying natural life that would otherwise have been created but for the contraceptives, abortion or homosexual acts, then we're talking about something more serious than 'improving the qualitative experience of being alive'. Let's cross that bridge after the natural birth pls

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Gay couples as fit to adopt as heterosexuals: study | Lifestyle | Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) - Gay or straight, the sexual orientation of adoptive parents does not have an impact on the emotional development of their children, according to a new study.

But researchers said that if parents were satisfied with the adoption process, had a stable income and functioned well as a family the risk of emotional problems in children were reduced.

"We found that sexual orientation of the adoptive parents was not a significant predictor of emotional problems," Paige Averett, an assistant professor of social work at East Carolina University, said in a statement.

"We did find, however, that age and pre-adoptive sexual abuse were," she added.

Averett, Blace Nalavany, also of East Carolina University, and Scott Ryan, dean of the University of Texas School of Social Work, questioned nearly 1,400 couples in the United States, including 155 gay and lesbian parents.

They used information from Florida's public child welfare system and data from gay and lesbian couples throughout the U.S. for the study.

Each couple was questioned about themselves and their children, the family composition and dynamics, and the history of the child before the adoption.

The researchers said the findings, which are reported in the journal Adoption Quarterly, are important because it compared gay and lesbian and heterosexual couples.

"There are implications for social work educators, adoption professionals, and policy makers in this and other recent studies," said Averett.

"We must pay attention to the data indicating that gay and lesbian parents are as fit as heterosexual parents to adopt," Averett added, "because at least 130,000 children are depending on us to act as informed advocates on their behalf."

The American Civil Liberties Union has said that laws and adoption agency policies have created obstacles for gay and lesbian couple who want to adopt children.
Hmmmm.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, you should only have as many children as you can afford. This is common sense. But when it comes to denying natural life that would otherwise have been created but for the contraceptives, abortion or homosexual acts, then we're talking about something more serious than 'improving the qualitative experience of being alive'. Let's cross that bridge after the natural birth pls
I like how Christians welcome the dole and STI's into their lives. Part of the family budget.

Channy17

HSC
i think allowing all the homosexuals in the world the right to adopt children will not only improve the quality of life for the parents but for the children as well. so will allowing homosexuals to marry. your allowing two people to take part in a commitment to each other that will be recognised by others.
Iron i think you need to look at the whole aspect of life. I think improving the quality of life for people is the most important thing rather than just looking at what you think is good for "life"

Lentern

HSC
I like how Christians welcome the dole and STI's into their lives. Part of the family budget.
A christian. Iron does not speak for the trendy and progressive wing of the catholic church.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What an insane thing to say? There is little/no risk of STIs within the sacred monogamy of marriage - nor is there risk of dependency on social welfare if, as I said, the family only have as many children as they can afford

HSC
Yeah Kwayera; obviously empirical evidence about the happiness of children is a completely meaningless way to adjudicate the effectiveness of gay parents.

God.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)