How accepting do you think Sydney schools are of homosexuality? (1 Viewer)

How open and accepting is your school in discussing homosexuality?

• Extremely; it's not even an issue, as no one discriminates and everyone is open

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Mostly; there may be certain groups who oppose it, but on the whole it's not a taboo topic

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • Somewhat; the teachers/students will discuss it, but they try and avoid/discourage the topic if poss

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Not at all; homosexuality is taboo and/or a subject of overall hatred in my school

Votes: 19 32.8%

• Total voters

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I was just thinking of this, especially as some schools in supposedly "civilised" countries (ie: the USA) are not even allowed to discuss homosexuality. My school (Fort Street) is very open and non discriminatory, but I was wondering what the general atmosphere was for everyone else.

(note: when voting, please vote based on your high school, not university, as the atmosphere in the respective institutions is obviously different)

Last edited:

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
In a single-sex girls school, I think not

Originally posted by Asquithian
boys school = pretty open...as long as ur wernt limp wristedly gay...then a little bit of 'play gayness' is all part of the fun
girls are a lot more bitchier to each other

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
i dont know about the school i'm at now. being a fully selective school and where everyone concerntrates on studying, i'd assume it goes unoticed, though you have some people who are extremely conservative and will cover their ears to the word "sex" and other who have it in every sentence they speak.

At my old school i think it was accepted, but it was gossipped alot. From the gossip, i'm guessing it wasnt accepted. Being it a half selective/half community school, i thought they would be more accepting about it, but they really werent.

i would generally think today, homosexuality is acceptable. Theres still people who are homophobic and diss it now and again

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Originally posted by kimmeh
i dont know about the school i'm at now. being a fully selective school
My school is VERY selective, yet i can still remember some guy licking honey off someone elses chest in the common room a couple of weeks ago :-/

And yeah, there are a couple of gays, but i cant think of anyone who gives them a hard time, and im sure anyone picking on them wouldnt be very well received by other people in the grade..

santaslayer

HSC
My school would probably dismiss your enrolment if you were gay. It's a Catholic school :p

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I'm not from Sydney so I won't vote. At my school mostly the teachers talk about it, but we have a few discussions amongst ourselves about it. Most kids are against it, yet the teachers try to get them to be accepting.

I want to see the how it works in Sydney.

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I voted, but my school wasn't in Sydney lol.

People at our school were ok with it I thought, but it depended on the people. There was a lesbian couple in our year and a gay guy in the year above and they weren't really ostracized for it or anything.... people may have gossiped about it a bit when they first found out but everyone got over it I think.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Just remember that tolerance is not acceptance, and that silence does not necessarily imply tolerance, too.

rumour

HSC
People at my school, fear it like the plague!!!!!!!!!!!!
If someone even thinks you are gay the whole school knows about it!!!!!
And they all avoid you!!!!!!!!!
One girl said she was bi, the whole school knew!!!!!!!!!
Everyone kept asking her if it was true!!!!!!
She moved to another school a couple of months later, but her sister is still at the school!!!!!!!!

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
My school was an all-girls school and very Catholic. We were never warned as to the consequences of choosing that "lifestyle" but I doubt that the school would be awfully tolerant.

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Originally posted by Loz#1
My school was an all-girls school and very Catholic. We were never warned as to the consequences of choosing that "lifestyle" but I doubt that the school would be awfully tolerant.
My school gets spoon fed that crap all the time....but with an anglican spin on it..

olay

HSC
ours i reckon is not, really. i can see a lot of ppl inside feel uncomfortable about it, but they add a 'not that theres anything wrong with that' to it all, without really meaning it. teachers, on the hand, i think would be far more accepting of it. o_O is that weird?

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by Persephone87
My school gets spoon fed that crap all the time....but with an anglican spin on it..
Personally, I don't think schools are there to have an opinion on student's personal lives.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Originally posted by rumour
People at my school, fear it like the plague!!!!!!!!!!!!
If someone even thinks you are gay the whole school knows about it!!!!!
And they all avoid you!!!!!!!!!
One girl said she was bi, the whole school knew!!!!!!!!!
Everyone kept asking her if it was true!!!!!!
She moved to another school a couple of months later, but her sister is still at the school!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Originally posted by Loz#1
Personally, I don't think schools are there to have an opinion on student's personal lives.
They really don't care what you or I think...its our fault for going to a religious school!

A friend of mine discussed the new open-ness of the Anglican Church (the new homosexual bishop in boston)...and our Christian Studies dpt. started sending her parents letters about how she needed councilling!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)