• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to answer the 5-6 mark question from AOS Paper 1? (1 Viewer)

RishBonjour

HSC
quality > quantity

I usually write 1.5-2 pages, usually 4-5/5

I tend to think of section 1 like multiple choice, so Its crucial to score near full marks.

edit:
Also, make sure you EXPLICITLY SHOW LINKS/COMPARE/CONTRAST between text, rather than just analysing the texts like crazy on their own.

jackko

HSC
hey guys are we allowed to mention techniques used in previous questions such as the 2/3 markers to answer the 5 marker?

George121

HSC
each question is marked by different teachers (in the hsc)
therefore, repeating yourself is allowed because you will get away with it :D
i repeated myself in the half yearly even though the same teacher marked it, and i received 5/5

ShayK

HSC
it's definitely quality over quantity. For my half yearly, I got 4/5 for the question even though I wrote like nearly 2 pages.
But after doing several past papers, and now I'm just writing like 3/4 of a page and I get 5/5. It's simple actually..
Use the PETAL method for answering any question in English.

Point
Example - Quotes
Techniques
Analysis of the example and effect of the technique
Linking back to the question

So make it integrated. For paragraph 1 - introduce your point. and then use your three texts. Same goes for paragraph 2 and 3. and you really don't need an introduction, but it's good to have a summing up paragraph.

George121

HSC
it's definitely quality over quantity. For my half yearly, I got 4/5 for the question even though I wrote like nearly 2 pages.
But after doing several past papers, and now I'm just writing like 3/4 of a page and I get 5/5. It's simple actually..

Point
Example - Quotes
Techniques

So make it integrated. For paragraph 1 - introduce your point. and then use your three texts. Same goes for paragraph 2 and 3. and you really don't need an introduction, but it's good to have a summing up paragraph.
+1

kristyelyse

HSC
I went to a lecture and they said that the lines provided in the question is usually an indicator of how much you need to write.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
each question is marked by different teachers (in the hsc)
therefore, repeating yourself is allowed because you will get away with it :D
i repeated myself in the half yearly even though the same teacher marked it, and i received 5/5
I believe that means question 1 (the whole section) is marked by one teacher, and then by another one.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Intro line
First text analysis (can pretty much copy question a/b/c/d)
Second text analysis (can pretty much copy question a/b/c/d)
Third text analysis (can pretty much copy question a/b/c/d)
Conclusion line

Dat's it.

I got 4.5/5 in the HSC doing that.

And I was a Standard English student.

Easy as fuck.

George121

HSC
I went to a lecture and they said that the lines provided in the question is usually an indicator of how much you need to write.
well we usually get writing booklets for english
does that mean we need to fill out one booklet per question?
don't listen to that crap, you can write 10 pages for an essay, and score a 5/20.
its all about quality, and the relation to the question
sure, you can use a lot of pages, but if you don't get straight to the point and answer the question, the marker will just get pissed off for wasting their time and give you a low mark.

REMEMBER, QUALITY > QUANTITY

irenefu

HSC

Point
Example - Quotes
Techniques

Oh okay, so just to be clear, I should discuss the different texts all under one point? Instead of analysing the three texts in three different paragraphs, and then linking them as I go?

George121

HSC
Oh okay, so just to be clear, I should discuss the different texts all under one point? Instead of analysing the three texts in three different paragraphs, and then linking them as I go?
you could do that, it just depends how much time you have left, and how much you are willing to spend on the question.
Personally, i think it is better to talk about each in a different paragraph, then link it, but that might turn it into a mini essay, and that could be the difference in finishing the paper, and missing out by a paragraph or two.
just do what you feel comfortable with, and as long as you answer the question with evidence, you will get the marks no matter how you structure it (just not all over the place, of course.
(remember, markers understand we will be stressed due to exam conditions, and they don't expect everything to be perfect)

just answer the question

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
no you should deffs do them separately. The other way is shit.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
you could do that, it just depends how much time you have left, and how much you are willing to spend on the question.
Personally, i think it is better to talk about each in a different paragraph, then link it, but that might turn it into a mini essay, and that could be the difference in finishing the paper, and missing out by a paragraph or two.
just do what you feel comfortable with, and as long as you answer the question with evidence, you will get the marks no matter how you structure it (just not all over the place, of course.
(remember, markers understand we will be stressed due to exam conditions, and they don't expect everything to be perfect)

just answer the question
You NEED to write a mini essay if you want full marks in 1e.

George121

HSC
no you should deffs do them separately. The other way is shit.
you can use the other way to, but one paragraph per text, then linking is a much better way.

I did the other way, and i got 5.

it all depends on how you answer the question..

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
you can use the other way to, but one paragraph per text, then linking is a much better way.

I did the other way, and i got 5.

it all depends on how you answer the question..
Too*

At your school, or in the HSC?

Yeah, and the way you SHOULD do it is the mini essay way.

George121

HSC
Too*

At your school, or in the HSC?

Yeah, and the way you SHOULD do it is the mini essay way.
at my school, but we used student numbers (half yearly), and everything was marked in comparison to the marking criteria, so it will apply for the HSC and trial examinations, especially because the trials are being marked by the teacher that marked the half yearly exams.

All i'm saying is, as long as you answer the question, with a structure that the marker can understand, then i don't see why you won't get full marks (i did get 15/15 for section 1).

Quality > Quantity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)