I think I screwed up.. (1 Viewer)

quickoats

HSC
Your right. I don't think its cause of difficulty but, people just choose the course for the money and realise its not for them.

Legit none of my friends know what actuary does. They think it pays insane so they all just randomly choose it without researching.
I don’t think it pays insane especially nowadays where there’s a truckloads of grads.

uniqueusername1

HSC
I’m not doing econometrics. If you want to learn statistics properly, do stats lol (which is what I do). Tbh the economics half (well, less than half) of my degree is just for interest and gives a fresh perspective - it’s also good not to stare at numbers and symbols all day.

RBA you’ll need honours, no idea about the treasury. But with an economics degree, I’m pretty sure the public service will be happy to have you.
Thanks mate. Do you know what job you looking at with stats? Data science?

uniqueusername1

HSC
RBA you’ll need honours, no idea about the treasury. But with an economics degree, I’m pretty sure the public service will be happy to have you.
So you reckon if I wanted to get into like the economics part of it. The prospects would be decent?

Please be honest. I don't want to be unemployed lol.

specificagent1

HSC
Yea apparently my tutor told me that actuaries in Australia think they'll earn a lot but, just end up making 80k.
I know some dude with an actuarial and economics degree and a doctorate in mathematics and he works for a very large investment firm at director level and gets paid a lot of money. In saying that, he doesnt recommend studying actuary due to how limited it is as in it is a large focus on math only. Buy anecdotal evidence so take it with a grain of salt

vishnay

God
HSC
Yea apparently my tutor told me that actuaries in Australia think they'll earn a lot but, just end up making 80k.
i'm pretty sure actual actuarial positions pay quite well

friend's brother graduated just a few years ago and is making around 150K in an actuarial position

in saying that however it is quite a mainstream degree and i'm certain there are people who did actuarial degrees and don't work in actuarial roles therefore making less

that being said i think 80k in ur early twenties is very reasonable

specificagent1

HSC

friend's brother graduated just a few years ago and is making around 150K in an actuarial position

in saying that however it is quite a mainstream degree and i'm certain there are people who did actuarial degrees and don't work in actuarial roles therefore making less

i think it really depends on the person

uniqueusername1

HSC

damn thats hot.

quickoats

HSC
Thanks mate. Do you know what job you looking at with stats? Data science?
I need to get on with more computing to get into “data science” but that seems to be the trend these days.

Decent prospects with economics (if you pair it with something good) but it’s definitely not a shoo in to get to the RBA.

Assad

HSC
If you feel that you're ATAR is gonna be weak relative for medicine (<99) i recommend trying to aim for 95+ and grind for UCAT, focusing on the VR section, in addition to this start volunteering and try to participate in activities which you feel will cultivate youre leadership and figure out why YOU want to do medicine (outside of parental pressures), this is important for your interview.

To get an interview you need to get 93-94+ percentile for the UCAT for JMP and for WSU you need to get a good percentile as well however you will also need a good VR score, hence why you should focus on it.

With that all being said you should apply for JMP (a joint medical program between university of newcastle and New England) and WSU for medicine (especially if you're GWS). The reason for all the extra curricular activities i mentioned previously is that JMP and WSU both highly weigh the interview for the place offer (100% and 75% respectively) and the extra-curricular activities can be drawn upon to demonstrate your personal qualities.

Hence you shouldnt give up hope if you feel that your ATAR is too weak because you cant remedy this with good performances in other criteria.

Edit: forgot to mention that these unis use ATAR threasholds as in you just need to meet them an you will be fine and they dont weight them for interview or place offer, im not 100% sure of the requirements for these two but i think 95+ ATAR should be fine (maybe a bit more)
I ended up getting a 92nd percentile UCAT. Is that enough for any Med school in NSW? My score was 3010 (650 Vr, 710 DM, 880 QR, 770 AR)
I dont think my atar will be rlly high tho, at most a 93 - 94 (which i am hoping will meet the cutoff for WSU [93.5 min i think] - I am a GWS applicant btw)

Greninja340

HSC
I ended up getting a 92nd percentile UCAT. Is that enough for any Med school in NSW? My score was 3010 (650 Vr, 710 DM, 880 QR, 770 AR)
I dont think my atar will be rlly high tho, at most a 93 - 94 (which i am hoping will meet the cutoff for WSU [93.5 min i think] - I am a GWS applicant btw)
You'll be borderline for WSU but i dont think youll get JMP interview unless percentiles drop and youre score becomes 93rd percentile (which was required last year)

Greninja340

HSC
also dont forget you can apply next year whilst in uni and redo the UCAT and get a good GPA if you dont get in this year and still want to do med

Assad

HSC
also dont forget you can apply next year whilst in uni and redo the UCAT and get a good GPA if you dont get in this year and still want to do med
Yea tru. Damn that rlly sucks tho, I allways thought that just a 90th percentile UCAT or higher was good enough for med or even dentistry at least. In the UK they legit have kids with 2700 UCAT's getting into med lmao.

Assad

HSC
in aus too if ur rural lol
Bruh i don't even get that. So people in rural communities just get worse doctors or what? They're legit letting less "smart" students enter into med, producing potentially lower quality doctors in rural areas. Like i guess the rural kids don't have access to the same resources a city student does, but it shouldn't be such a disparity.

specificagent1

HSC
Bruh i don't even get that. So people in rural communities just get worse doctors or what? They're legit letting less "smart" students enter into med, producing potentially lower quality doctors in rural areas. Like i guess the rural kids don't have access to the same resources a city student does, but it shouldn't be such a disparity.
if you think the UCAT or your highschool performance dictates whether you're a good doctor you need a reality check. I think 6 years of med school and the residency after wards is what decides if you're good or not

vishnay

God
HSC
need docs in rural areas

whole debate on mso pre funny bc city kids were getting pressed af

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)