If you are in year 11, read this first. (1 Viewer)

doink

Clone
HSC
Oh man, I remember when i thought 4u was hard, now i do shit that makes it look like general.

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
i'm starting 4U in 2 weeks, right after we finish exams
i've lightly covered all the topics by myself in afterschool maths tutorials
and so i feel i should be able to do well in it next year
aiming to get close to full marks

bored of sc

HSC
I've decided to do extension 2 maths. :) We'll see how I go. Should be a good challenge.

Last edited:

spagbowl

bread.
HSC
ok i'm in yr eleven now and do ext 1 maths, i dont go to a selective school or anything but i have a really good teacher. I started off really bad and failed my first test (badly) but i've progressively gotten better and i've always understood everything in the course perfectly. so my average is at about 50% but i got like 70% in my last test.

so any thoughts on whether i should do ext 2?

HSC
spagbowl said:
ok i'm in yr eleven now and do ext 1 maths, i dont go to a selective school or anything but i have a really good teacher. I started off really bad and failed my first test (badly) but i've progressively gotten better and i've always understood everything in the course perfectly. so my average is at about 50% but i got like 70% in my last test.

i think you should be averaging atleast 70% to do 4 unit maths
but give it a go to begin with
you can always drop if its too hard

spagbowl

bread.
HSC
theres another question, i dont really understand what happens if you decide to do four unit, do you no longer do two unit maths? Do you continue to sit for the two unit assesments and do you still go to the class. If you choose to have four unit count for your HSC does that mean you can't have two unit count?

nrs1990

HSC
spagbowl said:
theres another question, i dont really understand what happens if you decide to do four unit, do you no longer do two unit maths? Do you continue to sit for the two unit assesments and do you still go to the class. If you choose to have four unit count for your HSC does that mean you can't have two unit count?
You still have to go to two unit class, since extension 1 and 2 are still built on that same content.

If you do extension 2, 2 unit doesn't count.

Whether you sit 2 unit assessment tasks is up to you -- if you do stick with extension 2 they won't count, but a lot of people at my school sat them in case they wanted to drop down. If you don't sit 2 unit assessment tasks, you're stuck with extension 2 maths. A lot of people do drop down, so it might be worth sitting them anyway, just in case, unless you're very sure about extension 2. (Though that's at my school. Other schools might be different?)

Justincredible1

HSC
hey is it true that if you do ext 2 maths u automatically get 100 for 2U maths? or does ur 3U mark double?

and also i'm getting about 80-90 for 2U..and in the 90's for 3U..so do u think its worth doing 4U even though my 2U isn't as high?

shaon0

HSC
Justincredible1 said:
hey is it true that if you do ext 2 maths u automatically get 100 for 2U maths? or does ur 3U mark double?

and also i'm getting about 80-90 for 2U..and in the 90's for 3U..so do u think its worth doing 4U even though my 2U isn't as high?
depends on your school really but seems that your getting pretty good marks so you should give 4unit maths a go.
And its assumed that you will get 100 in 2unit maths if you do 4unit maths

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
It is NOT assumed you will get 100 in 2 unit if you take Extension 2. It is actually assumed you will get band 6 (i.e. 90+) instead. It even states this on the online results as a footnote, so plenty of people have seen it when they accessed their results online, so I don't know why there's this false impression that 100 is assumed for 2 unit circulating so frequently. When you view your results online, it will clearly state that you did not attempt the 2 unit exam because it is expected you will get band 6 (not 100) for all students who took Extension 2 Maths.
Either way, there will be absolutely no official record of your 2 unit HSC mark unless you've accelerated.

terungaa

HSC
well, we (sydney boys high) got our subject selection forms today, and i'm flipping out. my maths teacher said that in the 06 group of hsc students, 73 out of the ~120 4u students got an e4 band for it. he also gave us our yearly ranks (i got ~83/117). obviously, if i'm gonna do this, i'll have to face the possibility of e3, but it's not the end of the world rite? apparently, sydney boys beats the living crap out of 4u maths.

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
spagbowl said:

I was scoring 30-40%'s in my first few tests this year (year 11). Alot of hard work later I ended up with 90%'s for 2U and 75%'s for 3U. So yes, I think if you put in the hard work it's possible. I'm not saying it's easy.
I got accepted into extension 2 because of my latest test results.

Aspiration

HSC
terungaa said:
well, we (sydney boys high) got our subject selection forms today, and i'm flipping out. my maths teacher said that in the 06 group of hsc students, 73 out of the ~120 4u students got an e4 band for it. he also gave us our yearly ranks (i got ~83/117). obviously, if i'm gonna do this, i'll have to face the possibility of e3, but it's not the end of the world rite? apparently, sydney boys beats the living crap out of 4u maths.
if you're in sbhs, i VERY STRONGLY advise you to take up 4u. it'll be the best decision you ever made. also, the drop-out rate is low (not a single person dropped in 08)
- however, as the faq says, if you aren't up to doing tutoring, don't bother. the teachers rush the course and you'll die trying to keep up with the guys who have finished the course four times in the course of the year through tutoring

also, could anyone get any info regarding the syllabus changes to the 4u+3u hsc? the bos website is leading me round in circles >.>

revanchist

HSC
withoutaface said:
Points to note:
2. You should love maths. Nothing else, unless you are extremely talented, will give you enough motivation to get through this course.
3. You must be prepared to give a substantial amount of your study time to 4u (50+% of your study time should go to 3 and 4u study).
5. If you can't get through the course without spending $100 a week on tutoring, don't do it.
I agree with point 2. If you are extremely talented, it's likely you like maths anyway.
Point 3: However, the way you allocate time to your subjects really depends on a lot of things. I did 14 units, 12 of which in 2008. I didn't spend 50% of my time on Maths, it only made up a third of my units this year. Maths extension 2 is only 4 out of 10 units, if you're a "left brain" thinker, it's likely your English marks aren't anything like those for maths and science subjects, but IT STILL COUNTS. I can't stress that enough, even my Maths teacher told us that English is the most important subject. Neglecting your other subjects doesn't help. Who care is you have 90+% in four of 10 units if you only get 60% in the rest. Don't screw yourselves over. It's important to work on it, but remember you have other subjects too.
Finally, point 5: I got tutoring only for English because I'm a more scientific person. Apart from English everything else is optional, you pick what you like/ what you are good at. If you put the work in, you shouldn't need tutoring because likely you will have a natural talent for this. If you feel you do need extra help, ask your classmates, it helps them to help you.

HSC
Sparcod said:
That's so stupid.
A 4-unit student going to tutoring. I don't why its funny. If you do 4-unit, you don't need help, you should be doing everything by yourself. Also, 4-unit students are smart. They don't need them. ONLY DO IT IF YOU ARE SMART.
thats not stupid at all.
if you wanna keep your rank, tutoring helps.
its as simple as that.
i dunno what the hell you are thinking.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
If 3U math counts as 2 unit then what about 4 unit doesn't that also count as 2 unit?? i'm confused..

singh.with.me

HSC
if u do 4u, your 2u marks dont count towards the uai. u dont even sit the 2u hsc exam!...
so doing 4u maths, u have four units of maths counting towards your uai (that is if they are in your top ten, which they would be ):
3u maths- two units
4u maths- two units

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
if you've been told that you're capable, or if you have reason to believe you're capable, JUST DO IT. DO 4 UNIT MATHS! i regret horribly not doing it. the scaling is so good it's not funny. even though it's extremely hard, it's easier to get 50% in 4 unit than 90% in pdhpe or something like that. it actually depends on what your aim is, but if it's high, 4 unit maths will help a heck of a lot.

end of rant.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
1. Your 3u marks should be up around 70%. This is by no means set in stone, because of varying test difficulties etc, but if, for example, you're getting 40% in 3u I'd strongly advise you against 4u.
I agree/disagree with the above. My top mark in Preliminary 3U was 92%, and the rest were lying in the 50%/60% range. With extreme thanks to my English tutor, I decided to pick it up and at least give it a go (no harm in trying). My mark wasn't flash in the first HSC 4U assessment (68%), but I came 1st :).

Like withoutaface stated, it depends with varying test difficulties. So look at your ranking in 2U/3U, and then decide if you're capable. Don't do it for the scaling. The workload so far is really heavy, especially with 3 sciences. You must enjoy maths to do it, and if you believe you can do it, go for it!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)