Is it possible to get a high ATAR of 99.95 with standard English? (1 Viewer)

imxprt

HSC
N/A
I was wondering can you get a 99.95 ATAR with standard English?
If you have 4U maths to carry it to the atar?

imxprt

HSC
N/A
nah cause people say there's <1% of students who get a band 6 in standard English and the matrix website also says if you get like 99 percent that's just equivalent to 70% of advanced.

quickoats

HSC
To clear up misconceptions perpetuated by certain tutoring companies, standard scales EXACTLY the same as advanced i.e. a 95 in standard will give the same ATAR boost as a 95 in advanced etc etc. Theoretically, these respective marks require the same English ability to achieve. However, their alignment is different. You will need raw ~81 to scrape a 90 in advanced but raw ~88-89 to get the same 90 in standard. This 90 scales exactly the same tho. Whichever one of those marks is "easier" for you to achieve is up to you. However, standard historically gives out very little band 6s so you might have more luck in advanced.

95 HSC mark in Standard English would be top 3 in the state probably.

Low 90s is a state rank.
Band 6s are slightly more common nowadays but yh 95 would be a state rank. Pretty sure they cap band 6s bc I don't know anyone who got 90+ but quite a few that got 89.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
What has occurred in the past does not restrict what is possible in the future. English Standard students are typically not the type to excel (i.e. state rank or come close to it) in their other subjects. That is why you wouldn’t see too many getting 99+. It is not because there is some mythical scaling rule that prevents it.

It should be technically possible to get 99.95 with any combination of subjects. For example, let’s hypothetically say you got 93 in English Standard in 2020 (roughly top 0.5%) which corresponds to a scaled mark of roughly 87.7 by interpolation of the data in Table A3 of the above link. If you get say 99.0 scaled marks in your other 8 units (i.e come close to the top) then your aggregate scaled mark would be 483.7 which is enough to give you 99.95 ATAR based on Table A9 of the above link. It’s just that you’ll find it rare for a student to achieve that specific scenario.

quickoats

HSC
matrix website also says if you get like 99 percent that's just equivalent to 70% of advanced.
This doesn't mean 99 in standard = 70 in advanced.
That's not the truth - it is talking about percentILES i.e. top 1% of standard get the same as the top 30% of the advanced cohort. The way english is aligned means that these groups (the 1% and 30%) are of equivalent English ability. Since standard is a much larger cohort, and many of the students are just there bc it's compulsory, of course less of them are going to do well, compared to the advanced cohort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)