Is it true 2 markers mark your papers? (1 Viewer)

rayy_bann

HSC
I think I read this somewhere. I sure hope so, so as to ensure your mark is not completely biased I guess lol

Beachtraveller

HSC
Yes, and when they give two different marks they follow a process to attain the final mark

khfreakau

HSC
yes, the head teacher at my school was telling us about this today. she's a senior marker.

yours

HSC
they never see what marks the piece gets from other markers and if there's discrepancies they keep marking it (4+ times) until there's an average (there's a senior marker or someone who can see the marks so they can implement this)

acemusic415

HSC
Apparently, two markers mark the paper and if there is a large discrepancies (for example 17/20 and 9/20) it goes to the Senior Marker, whose judgment is final.

13abie

HSC
Apparently, two markers mark the paper and if there is a large discrepancies (for example 17/20 and 9/20) it goes to the Senior Marker, whose judgment is final.
no their judgment isnt final, his mark gets averaged with the other two marks

D94

HSC
N/A
I think I read this somewhere. I sure hope so, so as to ensure your mark is not completely biased I guess lol
Whilst bias will always occur, standards are set to determine what level of writing deserves such a mark. Even if there are 2 people, what if they are almost binary opposites; maybe an average of the two is lower than what most other markers would give. Although, I think you should be safe, knowing that they standardize and follow a marking criteria.

enoilgam

HSC
In essay writing subjects, all essays are double marked. In cases where there is a discrepency, a third senior marker will mark the paper.

FTW

HSC
In essay writing subjects, all essays are double marked. In cases where there is a discrepency, a third senior marker will mark the paper.
Only if the mark is of +-20% that it, if there is a difference of more than 4 marks then it will go to a senior marker. So a 16/20 and a 12/20 would give 14/20.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
no their judgment isnt final, his mark gets averaged with the other two marks

No it doesn't - the SM changes the mark/s of the two markers to get a mark within the discrepant range which is then the final mark. I have seen my SMs make those changes a number of times - usually they only change one mark - the one that was clearly discrepant.

Just a reminder that only answers worth 10 or more marks are double marked.

CLD

HSC
Two to three markers mark your essay but really what you get from the first marker is normally your mark. They do not like arguing.

enoilgam

HSC
Two to three markers mark your essay but really what you get from the first marker is normally your mark. They do not like arguing.
I'm pretty sure you get the average of the two and the other marker doesnt know the mark from the first marker.

LachyLane

HSC
Yes, every paper is double marked (twice). From Essays to maths there will be two people marking it, and the second marker does not know who originally marked it.

Example of discrepancy: If in lets say a history essay out of /25 the first marker awards it 23/25 but the second marker awards it 25/25, then it gets averaged to 24/25.

The averaging system is used unless there's a major gap between marks like if you were to be awarded 17/25 originally and then 21 or 22/25 then your essay would be Triple marked, specifically by a senior marker who has the final say!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Please note that written responses worth less then 10 marks only get single marked so in the Histories in Part A the written responses are single marked only.

herbs1

HSC
I'm pretty sure you get the average of the two and the other marker doesnt know the mark from the first marker.
Your script is attached with two marking sheets, the first marker marks it, it is ripped off, and returned to the second. They do not know the marks that were given.

CLD please do not post things when you have no clue how they work.

jamesfirst

HSC
Your script is attached with two marking sheets, the first marker marks it, it is ripped off, and returned to the second. They do not know the marks that were given.

CLD please do not post things when you have no clue how they work.
What if one gives 20/20 while other gives 15/20

Awkward_Ninja

HSC
I was told that the papers were marked by at least 5 markers.

And wouldn't having more markers mean there is less chance of a huge discrepancy and distribution in marks?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
They are marked by two markers.

Think about it - if it takes two weeks to mark Modern History with two markers it would then take five weeks with five markers (English which now takes 4 weeks to mark would take 10 weeks). You wouldn't get your results until February.

Having more markers won't reduce the discrepancy necessarily as most discrepant scripts I have come across in 20 years of marking are so because of one of two reasons - either it is one where there are two clear camps - one high and one low (hopefully both are high), or where one marker has simply misread something and gone high or low so a third marker can fix it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)