• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Laser Eye Surgery (1 Viewer)

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
Anyone done it? Considering how low-risk it is these days, why aren't more people doing it? Sure, it's expensive, but it's cheaper in the long run

I have an appointment to determine my suitability soon and I'm hoping I am able to get it done.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
yeah, i was thinking bout getting it done sometime this year aswell. Does anyone know how much it is? i mean im sure its dependent upon the persons eye deterioration etc but an estimate.

@ OP, ive heard that many aren't suitable, which may lower the number of operations being persformed.

Last edited:

rozymisty

HSC
I had been considering it till i had the retinal tear. Someone said that once you have the sclearal buckle in, you cant get that eye operated on. others have said maybe.

then again you have to consider the fact that when you get to 40, your eye sight naturally deterorates so it may not always be worth spending that fortune for your eyes to like be good for a decade or 2 and then go down....

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
rozymisty said:
then again you have to consider the fact that when you get to 40, your eye sight naturally deterorates so it may not always be worth spending that fortune for your eyes to like be good for a decade or 2 and then go down....
My mum had it done about 10 years ago, and even though her eyes have deteriorated since then, she doesn't regret it. There is a difference between having to wear glasses/contacts all day every day, to wearing them only when you have to read something.

I'm open to having it done sometime in the future, but at the moment my eyes aren't bad enough for me to justify spending the money.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
My mum has done it. Her eyes are extremely good now. It was like 5-8 years ago but she can still see everything really well...at least better than I can.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I'll get it done in the future. My eyes are already getting worse and i need to get them checked again =="

eliseliselise

HSC
i heard that you can't get laser surgery until you're 18?? anyone care to clarify?? i intend to get it done as soon as possible/what the money's available.. i have shithouse eyes and i think not having to worry about glasses/contacts for a few decades would be pure bliss!

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Marmalade said:
^ There's always someone who will try to scare people.
There is always someone who will tend to brush off potential for complications.

My boss got it done, and the first time he went in, they basically sliced a layer off his eye incorrectly, and he had to wait another 6 months for his eyes to heal. Over that time, his eyes felt like they constantly had sand in them.

Up to you.

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
blue_chameleon said:
There is always someone who will tend to brush off potential for complications.

My boss got it done, and the first time he went in, they basically sliced a layer off his eye incorrectly, and he had to wait another 6 months for his eyes to heal. Over that time, his eyes felt like they constantly had sand in them.

Up to you.
According to the LASIK website, 1% of procedures have "serious, vision-threatening" results. I'm not the type of person to rush into non-necessary procedures without considering the risks. I haven't had my appointments yet and I haven't decided whether I'm willing to take the risk yet.

I don't appreciate the biased "don't do it, you could go blind. here have a look at all these failed surgeries" responses.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Yes, the lasik website is obviously the most objective source for information on the safety of lasik products.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Marmalade. said:
According to the LASIK website, 1% of procedures have "serious, vision-threatening" results. I'm not the type of person to rush into non-necessary procedures without considering the risks. I haven't had my appointments yet and I haven't decided whether I'm willing to take the risk yet.

I don't appreciate the biased "don't do it, you could go blind. here have a look at all these failed surgeries" responses.
I'm no pessimist. I understand the benefits laser eye surgery has for some. But it just amazes me that a lot of people (dare I say the majority) go ahead with it oblivious to the potential risks they face.

1/100 is quite a lot when surgery's are churning through 5 or so people at each sitting.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Marmalade. said:
1% of procedures have "serious, vision-threatening" results.
Reading between the lines, it begs the question, how many people end up with non vision-threatening, but still dissapointing and fucking annoying aberrations in their vision?

I've heard varying statistics that the most common complication, dry eyes, which may be permanent, occurs in something like 18-35% of all cases iirc.

Minor complications aren't rare.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
The risk is still there in getting it done.

A friend of mine got it done. He plays soccer and he could only see partially out of one eye. So he saved up for ages and they screwed him over.

Now he can barely see and they cant fix it because to my understanding it involves removing layers on the eye (or something like that).

tempco

HSC
Just recently got Lasik done, so far so good. Eyes went from -6.00 to 20/20, but vision isn't as crisp as it was before. Paid $2600 all up for both eyes, used a non-bladed technique for safety reasons or something like that. Bladed would have pulled down the price by around $400. Did it in Singapore. It's only been 3 weeks or so, eyes are still dry but are expected to go away after 1-3 months. Worth every dollar IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)