Maintaining your Year 11 rankings... (1 Viewer)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Nobody ever paid much attention to the subjects I was good at in Years 7-10, and I never really tried. My good subjects were English, Drama, Commerce, and History/Geography. Nobody cared about these subjects. They mainly cared about maths and science, and I was abysmal at both. Then this year I started working harder in Maths and I jumped 3 classes from the 7th class to the 4th class. People used to think I was in 2U Maths and now I do 4U. And the subjects thatnobody else cared about are the one I'm excelling in, and a 97 in any subject is pretty darb good, so now I'm starting to get noticed. And I haven't really started working hard yet. If you're natural ninetypercent chances are this year you've refined your sutdying skills and have thus jumped ranks. I am yet to hear of anyone that doesn't try harder in Year 11/12.
haha same with me. I was nothing in Year 10 and now everyone talks about me :D
It feels good doesn't it? ;)
I don't think I'm natural because I tried really hard in Year 10 too. I think I've just developed better study skills and technique. This frightens me because it means that the naturals in my school will do better than me when they work hard :evilfire:

shady145

Banned
HSC
haha same with me. I was nothing in Year 10 and now everyone talks about me :D
It feels good doesn't it? ;)
I don't think I'm natural because I tried really hard in Year 10 too. I think I've just developed better study skills and technique. This frightens me because it means that the naturals in my school will do better than me when they work hard :evilfire:
it gets boring =/

HSC
at my school from yr10 to yr11, i've noticed the usual people who top everything sort of disappearing a bit... quite a few more people are emerging as the better students. your main problem with maintaining your ranks i'm guessing would be not getting lazy - thinking that just because you did good in year 11, you'll do the same in year 12. now you've got the added pressure of people who are finally getting serious about school because it's HSC.
True at my school too, some kids came from nowhere and is now basically top 3 in everything, while the kids who topped year 7-10 are around 20th or so. Even I'm surprised that I was able to beat them by a good 5+ ranks when I put in a little effort.

Ninetypercent just repeat what you did in year 11 >_>, you're doing awesomely good and you're worrying -_-.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
I ll need to jump a few ranks in maths and english, also a bit in physics. If i want to get that 90+ UAI.

elmoateme

HSC
7-10 ranks mean absolutely nothing, as no one took it seriously. I hope I can keep all my ranks from Y11 going into Y12. Hopefully having English out of the way will make things easier. I guess the big thing is just time management and using your free periods efficiently. I think there will be a few people that really shock everyone with their ranks, and a few that really drop off. I think if youre right up the top it should be fine. As long as your actual marks aren't dropping then you should be able to keep your ranks, hopefully improve on them. At the end of it, the trials will make the difference so I guess revision, study and early preparation will really pay off there.

ajk92

HSC
its possible...even to make them better. you just gotta peak at the right time. allot of people switch on when they just chilled in year 11, you just gotta stay with them. all my ranks got better except for english, so it can be done!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
At most top selective schools, it becomes a helluva lot harder to maintain your ranks, mainly because people that didn't try all of a sudden, try that much harder. And for people that have never tried, to get in a selective school, they'd most likely are smart.

Hence, smartness + actually giving a damn = lethal combination.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
At most top selective schools, it becomes a helluva lot harder to maintain your ranks, mainly because people that didn't try all of a sudden, try that much harder. And for people that have never tried, to get in a selective school, they'd most likely are smart.

Hence, smartness + actually giving a damn = lethal combination.
Quite a few people went down because of this to make way for some others.

Then again, girra aint a top selective school :p Not yet anyways ;)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
for subjects like history and economics, I'd have no problem maintaining my ranks because it's all memorising. however, I'm concerned about maths :( maths is not something you can rote learn.. and I put 4 units of my hsc on maths

gotta go study now

mjones14

HSC
for subjects like history and economics, I'd have no problem maintaining my ranks because it's all memorising. however, I'm concerned about maths :( maths is not something you can rote learn.. and I put 4 units of my hsc on maths

gotta go study now
maths is fair memorising. learn a formula. use it. repeat.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I'm scared of losing my ranks. :(

What's crap about coming first in year 11 is that the only place you can go is down...

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
my ranks in year 11 were shit except for ancient and modern history (1st in each)
prolly because i only studied for them and bludged a lot

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
actually, i hope they will make the first maths assessment super hard because I know that I will be able to answer some of the questions if its hard whearas other people won't

bob fossil

HSC
And application requires knowing the formula.
Application in 4 unit maths requires more than just a formula.

Example.

ax^2+by^2=c show that y"=-ac/b^2y^3

Pretty basic stuff but it takes more than a formula.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Application in 4 unit maths requires more than just a formula.

Example.

ax^2+by^2=c show that y"=-ac/b^2y^3

Pretty basic stuff but it takes more than a formula.
Thank god for that example. Seriously, it makes an insane amount of sense, you post would be completely unintelligible without it.

bob fossil

HSC
Thank god for that example. Seriously, it makes an insane amount of sense, you post would be completely unintelligible without it.

Shut the fuck up hahahahhaha

Most people would look at it and be wtf how is c in there.

Take it you havent done 4 unit?

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Shut the fuck up hahahahhaha

Most people would look at it and be wtf how is c in there.

Take it you havent done 4 unit?
I don't do maths at all, I find it to be dull and uninspiring. That is not to devalue maths as a subject, it has enormous worth and is very valuable to many people, it just does not resound with me in the slightest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)