• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Maths in focus (1 Viewer)

Lolly_Polly

HSC
Go for Cambridge, MIF is way too simple, the explanations are all over the place, the questions in MIF are repetitive too =)

OH1995

HSC
If I were you I would buy Cambridge. The questions are extremely comprehensive and great for practicing and ingraining the formulas and methods into your head. As far as the explanation goes you still have maths in focus, but really you shouldn't need explanations from a textbook,thats why you have a maths teacher. Your maths teacher should teach you all of the theory and methods you need to know at school, which you can then put into practice by doing the questions in the textbook. I realise that sometimes topics may be brushed over somewhat by maths teachers as everyone understands certain topics in maths differently, so some may require a quick recap of the theory when you get home to do homework. But i find the Cambridge textbook to be perfect for that anyway, along with my maths notes i make at school and the examples.
Overall, i would recommend cambridge and if you need greater explanation that what it can provide make sure you ask your maths teacher about the topic because it is there job to make sure you understand p, but you will still have maths in focus to look at anyway at home to clarify your understanding.:party:

deswa1

HSC
yes pleeasseeeee
I know I'm getting back off topic (sorry OP) but I found my yearly exam for eco + my essay on the budget. If you want, I can scan my answers for the short answers + my essay response if you want to see how I answer questions.

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
I recommend Fitzpatrick and Cambridge. Personally I have Maths in Focus as well... but in class we do only 3-4 questions per exercise in MIF and then move onto Fitz/Cambridge to reinforce the harder concepts for the HSC

Magical Kebab

HSC
I know I'm getting back off topic (sorry OP) but I found my yearly exam for eco + my essay on the budget. If you want, I can scan my answers for the short answers + my essay response if you want to see how I answer questions.
That'd be awesome, cheers buddy

Magical Kebab

HSC
Plus, does anyone know why Cambridge doesn't include circle geo or permutations and combinations?
Weird.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Plus, does anyone know why Cambridge doesn't include circle geo or permutations and combinations?
Weird.
As Realise said, yeah.

The book follows the schedule/program for Sydney Grammar so it might be different to your school's program.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
As Realise said, yeah.

The book follows the schedule/program for Sydney Grammar so it might be different to your school's program.
This is true, as quite a number of the writers of the Cambridge text books do in fact teach in my school. Of course, our syllabus work could be slightly different to what many other schools I'd imagine, are doing.

karnbmx

HSC
Yeah, Cambridge is good for getting white hair
the questions aren't THAT bad (unless you are referring to the Extension section. Those are HARD). :S

But more to the point. Like most people have mentioned already, MIF is way too simple. I have never used it, although a lot of my friends have. They all say the same thing. Their teachers even think that, so they give them a lot of harder questions from Cambridge or other textbooks to practise from.

Moral of the story: if you want to challenge yourself/become familiar with tougher/more demanding questions, then look no further than Cambridge.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
This is true, as quite a number of the writers of the Cambridge text books do in fact teach in my school. Of course, our syllabus work could be slightly different to what many other schools I'd imagine, are doing.
Just for my knowledge, can you please give me a quick rundown as to what topics Sydney Grammar will do/have done in Yr 10 maths. Cheers :)

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Just for my knowledge, can you please give me a quick rundown as to what topics Sydney Grammar will do/have done in Yr 10 maths. Cheers :)
The curriculum is outlined below up to this half year: (we generally veer off topic occasionally but this is the order.)

Quadratic equations
Probability
Consumer arithmetic
Area and volumes
Graphs (curve sketching)

We're yet to know our order for the next semester in the subjects we're doing for year 10.

kazemagic

HSC
the questions aren't THAT bad (unless you are referring to the Extension section. Those are HARD). :S

But more to the point. Like most people have mentioned already, MIF is way too simple. I have never used it, although a lot of my friends have. They all say the same thing. Their teachers even think that, so they give them a lot of harder questions from Cambridge or other textbooks to practise from.

Moral of the story: if you want to challenge yourself/become familiar with tougher/more demanding questions, then look no further than Cambridge.
That's true, but some questions in development(in trigonometry at least) is just...

annieeeex

HSC
N/A
Yes buy cambridge and fitzpatrick if u can or borrow it from the library. Maths in focus is boring and i find it harder than cambrige and fitzpatrick, maybe cus MIF is boring. I dont know, some questions in MIF are so repetitive. When i only used MIF, i got 60% for my advanced test and 54% for my extension test when i did ALOT of questions in MIF. But then later when i used cambridge and sometimes fitzpatrick i got 81 then 97 for my advanced test and got 75% for my half yearly extension test. I didnt even touch MIF later on. It's worth it, you can get fitzpatrick :D the questions are fun hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)