modern history vs physics (1 Viewer)

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
thanks, i was hoping for heaps of maths in physics, maybe modern for me now

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
yeah i was hoping physics would be maths related, but not so. if you have good memory do modern and later pick up ext hist.

Dumbledore

HSC
depsite the lack of maths in HSC physics, it still probably is the subject with most maths besides maths itself and maybe engineering studies.

if your going to choose modern "history" over physics because physics has alot of "history" in it....

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I picked Modern over Physics and I don't regret it. I was garbage at Year 10 Physics as well, I hate it and the only thing I could stomach was Electricity. Motion was terrible, Light was terrible, the rest was terrible. Go Modern. But that's just my opinion. Also if you'r expecting a mid 80s HSC Mark, Physics>Modern, if you're expecting a mid 90s mark, they're fairly equal so go with what you prefer. Just a note, 98 in Phys = 100 scaled, 99 in Modern = 100 scaled. Little difference. Take your pick.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
This - it all depends on how YOU perform.

yeah i was hoping physics would be maths related, but not so. if you have good memory do modern and later pick up ext hist.
memorising.
a really low level thinking skill.
the hsc is a good time to develop higher level skills, move away from rote learning and memorising to analysing and designing.

depsite the lack of maths in HSC physics, it still probably is the subject with most maths besides maths itself and maybe engineering studies.

if your going to choose modern "history" over physics because physics has alot of "history" in it....
lol it does.
physics wins.

plus physics contained better people.

jules.09

HSC
i would like to know which course is better for my subject selections

so far i'm only definite for eng adv, maths ext 1, eco, chem, latin

also, which is more enjoyable, modern history or physics?

ty
Well, modern history and physics, removed from the HSC, is epic.

In the context of the Board of Studies HSC syllabus, well, that's quite different. They do however, involve different approaches in studying.

Will you cope with writing essays after essays and learning copious amounts of information, that isn't necessarily 'related'? Are you willing to undertake investigations and research relevant material for the subject, and keep up with revision etc.

Similarly in physics, there are a fair few rules you have to learn and apply. It's just as fascinating, but would you put up with really annoying society questions such as "Assess how the invention of the transistor has impacted society .."

.. which I absolutely hate :p. Physics isn't terribly mathematical at the HSC, what it lacks is inserted into Mechanics (math extension 2)

So.. it's up to you. Do what you will enjoy, are committed to and have the potential to attain stellar marks in.

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
thanks everyone for ur opinions, but...i'll continue tossing between them until the final thing is due

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Physics as you would have an asian combo with your combo witheng adv, maths ext 1, eco, chem, latin. Also pick up MX2 in year 12.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
If you want actual history with essays - modern.

If you want crap scientific history with short responses - physics.

I vote modern ^^

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Depends on your personal interest and outlook. My subjective opinion would be to do Modern.

If you find that it does not suit you, then by all means change to Physics or another subject in Term one next year.

Betamaxrules

HSC
Personally, I'm going to be doing both.
They can both be very enjoyable subjects.

My advice is to consider what you want to do in uni.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
since your taking maths ext i imply that your good at maths. you preffered English adv over english ext. So might as well take physics which, from what i have been told, is quite maths orientated.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
since your taking maths ext i imply that your good at maths. you preffered English adv over english ext. So might as well take physics which, from what i have been told, is quite maths orientated.
To a certain extent. From what I heard, Physics and Maths barely complement each other despite popular belief.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)