MQ General chatter thread (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Re: MQ General chatter and timetables thread

Oh! Mine's today. How did you find it - pissy tutor aside.
The course itself is fantastic, i'm really liking what we're doing and all the interpretations are so cool :). I've changed tutes to thursday at 4 now anyway, no point in having a possible unhappy semester.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Academic reshuffle?

"URGENT
To all Ancient History students.
As you may be aware, the University is undertaking an academic restructure,
and from 2010 units undergraduate units that were previously worth 4 cr pts
will now be worth 3 cr pts. This applies to all AHST units.
Please have a look NOW at your projected program, and if you are likely to be
caught short, please consider enrolling in the unit AHST383 Ancient History
Reading Unit worth 2 cr pts, as this will not be available to fill gaps from next
year.
A handout detailing the requirements of this flexible unit may be obtained
from the Ancient History office.
"

I just got this off blackboard... What will this mean for the B/Ancient history program of study? Certain requirements don't seem to add up under this new system? If anyone knows more about this, sharing is caring.

X

xeuyrawp

Re: Academic reshuffle?

"URGENT
Reading Unit worth 2 cr pts, as this will not be available to fill gaps from next
year.
"

I just got this off blackboard... What will this mean for the B/Ancient history program of study? Certain requirements don't seem to add up under this new system? If anyone knows more about this, sharing is caring.
What it means is what it says; 300 level units will be 3cps and not 4cps. This aligns with the rest of the university.

With regards to the BAncHist(Hons), I would wait to see what happens with it next year - they might get rid of the degree, they might change it, or they might keep it as is. If they get rid of it, you might be better transferring into a BA. If they change it, you might be better transferring into the new version. If they keep it as is, then you'll probably have to do a couple more subjects when you get to 300 level.

The last possibility (although unlikely) is that they'll change it and force current BAncHist(Hons) students to do eg a BA. Although like I said, this is unlikely, as the university typically lets students keep their current degree.

vds700

HSC

"URGENT
year.
"

If that info is correct, thats quite unfair for you.

My ACST 211 lecturer said that the changes would affect only those who enrol from next year, and people who enrolled in 2009 or earlier would stay on the old system. He also said if you're planning on internally transferring to another degree, then do it before 31 December, so you wont be affected by the changes.

I dunno, maybe that was just for bus/eco based courses.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

What it means is what it says; 300 level units will be 3cps and not 4cps. This aligns with the rest of the university.

With regards to the BAncHist(Hons), I would wait to see what happens with it next year - they might get rid of the degree, they might change it, or they might keep it as is. If they get rid of it, you might be better transferring into a BA. If they change it, you might be better transferring into the new version. If they keep it as is, then you'll probably have to do a couple more subjects when you get to 300 level.

The last possibility (although unlikely) is that they'll change it and force current BAncHist(Hons) students to do eg a BA. Although like I said, this is unlikely, as the university typically lets students keep their current degree.

I have a feeling they'll be scrapping the degree... not happy =(

Do you think the unit workload will be lowered along with the cps, since people are going to have to take more subjects than usual to complete the degree on time?

X

xeuyrawp

I have a feeling they'll be scrapping the degree... not happy =(
Why? The degree's stupid. I don't know why Macquarie thinks it should have a Bachelor of Ancient History - it's stupid. All other unis in the world manage with BAs in Ancient History.

Do you think the unit workload will be lowered along with the cps, since people are going to have to take more subjects than usual to complete the degree on time?
No I don't, and I hope not. It's easy enough as it is, to be honest. :p

If that info is correct, thats quite unfair for you.

My ACST 211 lecturer said that the changes would affect only those who enrol from next year, and people who enrolled in 2009 or earlier would stay on the old system. He also said if you're planning on internally transferring to another degree, then do it before 31 December, so you wont be affected by the changes.

It is correct, and it's not unfair. They're not changing the degree that significantly, they're technically changing the units.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

Why? The degree's stupid. I don't know why Macquarie thinks it should have a Bachelor of Ancient History - it's stupid. All other unis in the world manage with BAs in Ancient History.
I spose its just an inconvenience, you get just start to get used to a system and it changes.

No I don't, and I hope not. It's easy enough as it is, to be honest. :p
Maybe for some.. i could take on more units and still do pretty alright but I'd be pulling my hair out while doing it. I know i know, winge winge winge right? Im sure i'll get over it.

thommy

HSC
N/A

The course itself is fantastic, i'm really liking what we're doing and all the interpretations are so cool :). I've changed tutes to thursday at 4 now anyway, no point in having a possible unhappy semester.
hich tutor did you have? I didn't like mine either.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

Beverly, its not that she was bad or anything, shes just not the kind of personality i get along with very well.

Last edited:

thommy

HSC
N/A

Beverly, its not that she was bad or anything, shes just not the kind of personality i get along with very well.
Oh, I had some young boy. I thought he was a student at first, lol. He was okay. Was she a bitch? How was her personality?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

no, she was just really formal. I think its cuz i had really laid back tutors last semester and that worked well for me.

X

xeuyrawp

Yeah I'm laid back as well. Possibly why I'm not doing a PhD and tutoring yet. :p

HSC
N/A

There's at least one degree (International Studies, if I remember correctly) where students enrolled from Sem 2 2009 will be forced to adhere to the 'new' structure being introduced in 2010.

If in doubt, speak to Student Enquiries Services, and remember it's always safer to assume information given for a particular degree may not be universal :)

Monstar

HSC

Regrettably had to take a uni dump today, normally i drive home and do it (OC? who knows). All i can say that the toilets are filthy and the toilet paper is really bad, why can't we buy some nice stuff? lets get some premium TP there.. we got loads of internationals.. surely 1% of their fees would more than suffice

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Staff toilets are awesome

williamc

HSC

the higher you go in the buildings the better the toilets get esp in e4b

OI WOLFMOTHER RUMORED TO BE PLAYING AT CONCEPTION DAY

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

It's pretty much confirmed on the page, but thanks for playing!

Conception day

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)