Music making you study better? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys I was just doing some light study today when I realised something: I know that there are many studies done saying that music makes you work less efficient but for me I know that I work faster/more efficient listening to some sub-genres of rock and/or EDM. You thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.

coldrain

Hello friends
HSC
When I study, post-rock sets the mood right since it's just instrumental, I do occasionally listen to music with lyrics while studying but I think it's a bit distracting sometimes. But yeah, it might be better to get used to working without music since you can't bring music into the examination hall haha

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Music is good when you're doing really mundane and repetitive things which don't require a lot of thinking or focus because it stops you from getting bored (otherwise you would be searching for a distraction).

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, I agree with Trebla. For me, that was doing my daily maths homework, repetitive questions from the textbook. Saying that, I did listen to music whilst writing (more complex) notes too but it was to classical music.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
if you study better with music you're probably doing easy crap that doesnt require much thinking

Verify

HSC
if you study better with music you're probably doing easy crap that doesnt require much thinking
And your point is...? Studying doesn't exactly require doing your head in.

For me, I like to listen to SHM/Zedd when I study, it makes me feel very motivated :3

WeaselPowa

HSC
Speaking from experience, I would say studying without music allows you to concentrate on a much higher level then studying with music. Sure, you get bored when studying, but it is way more worthwhile to study with full concentration for one hour instead of three hours of half distraction, half study.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yeah, it's a bit like that automatic reaction some people have to turn down the radio in the car when looking for an address after driving the whole way with it up loud. Music makes the time go by but then the studying doesn't have your full attention. If it was more a relaxed "revision" type of study rather than the "exam tomorrow cram" type then music would probably be fine.

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
yep i cannot concentrate with music it is far too distracting

seriously doe nootropics everyone get on them

enoilgam

HSC
I could never study with music, it's way too distracting (too much temptation to sing and dance along).

madharris

HSC
N/A
Personally, I can't study with any music at all whether it has word or not, just because ill start singing to the music in my mind
This will mean that ill be reading words, but I won't be absorbing and trying to interpreting it

yep i cannot concentrate with music it is far too distracting

seriously doe nootropics everyone get on them
btw your snake sig is amazing! i've watched it through like 3 times now :D

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
And your point is...? Studying doesn't exactly require doing your head in.

For me, I like to listen to SHM/Zedd when I study, it makes me feel very motivated :3
fuck off you ain't even at uni yet

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
nigga look at my fuckin post count u aint shit faggot i fuckin live for this shit

seanieg89

HSC
Sometimes music helps me out, its more that it can hype me up to throw myself into my work than any actual cognitive benefits. Eventually I take off my headphones when I really need quiet, but it can help me get started / is decent background for doing routine stuff. Its definitely not helpful when I need to do something creative.

For the record its usually a mixture of classical, EDM (mostly trance) and metal.

HSC
Sometimes music helps me out, its more that it can hype me up to throw myself into my work than any actual cognitive benefits. Eventually I take off my headphones when I really need quiet, but it can help me get started / is decent background for doing routine stuff. ...
This is the point I was trying to make. Admittedly the work that I was doing was pretty straightforward and mundane stuff. As enoilgam said, I cant listen to music with lyrics because of its distractive nature, hence I listen to EDM. However when I'm doing maths or something that requires much attention/thought I'll take out my earphones because, yes I do concentrate better like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)