• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muslim People in Australia (1 Viewer)

K

katie_tully

I was thinking that perhaps the Chinese or Egyptians had the earliest universities?

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
katie_tully said:
It saddens me to see girls so blatantly brainwashed by their religion, so much so that they're willing to give up their rights as a human to adhere to the code of a patriarchal religion so that they may, maybe, might, possibly, probably won't go to heaven.

Perhaps because you are blatantly driven by a secular humanist perspective, that leads you to propogate unsubstantiated stereotypes, predictable reactionary responses. Perhaps many of the girls are just wearing it for traditional purposes underpinned by partiarchy but that does not necessarily infer that all of them are. I am by no means a 'religious' person but if you are going to make an argument against the wearing of the headscarf at least make it interesting.

And I believe when a guy wants to marry a Muslim girl, he has to go to her house and offer a goat to her father, cows are better but goats will do in exchange for a daughter :rolleyes:

K

katie_tully

Clearly you are insane. I was not arguing against wearing headscarves fool.
My comment was in response to two girls in this thread, and their sharing of their values.
Try again.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Sweets said:
And I believe when a guy wants to marry a Muslim girl, he has to go to her house and offer a goat to her father, cows are better but goats will do in exchange for a daughter :rolleyes:
Lol, hangover from way back when I suppose. Why bother with it now?

gerhard

HSC
first university was Plato's Academy. At least I think it was plato (maybe socrates, aristotle etc, someone greek and old). Before that people just had private tutors I do believe.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
katie_tully said:
No. God no. I am by no means a feminist. Where I was going with that point, was that these girls feel that they have to cover up, and please allah...or else their lives after death won't be worth living. I just can't imagine how restrictive it would be. Perhaps though, because they know no different, its not so restrictive.
well you've nver worn hejab so you wouldnt know what life is like with it
its not restrictive at all
and not only do people do it for the sake of Allah...and to obey his command
its for our own good and safety and security and comfort
and you will find every women feels that way in hejab

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
You're just like Christians. You've been brainwashed to believe that it is correct and good for you.

Try and think for yourself.
lmao
i think its halarious how you tell me to "think for myself"
because you knwo exactly what goes on in my brain and whats in my heart
for your information i dont even wear hejab
so i am thinking formyself
if i was brainwashed i would be wearing it already

get_born

Reasons why a female choses the scarf:

- firstly and for most for God.
- The headscaf in arabic is 'hijab' which comes from the Arabic word hijaba, meaning to hide from view or conceal. Many Muslim women view hijabs as liberating from the male gaze.
- There's no denying that guys check out girls. By wearing the headscarf, the female agrees to dress modestly. By dressing this way, the female is less likely to attract attention.
- In a way it is actually helping the male too.
- In Islam, the Quran teaches us that prevention is better than cure. And by avoiding all that sexual tension between the two sexes altogether many other things that might start off ' as friends' in the beginning wont ever have to skip the 'marriage' and jump to the 'baby in the carriage'.
- Women wear the hijabs in public or around men. They typically do not wear them at home. They can show their hair in front of some male relatives, including brothers, fathers and husbands.

"Say to the believing man that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that will make for greater purity for them; and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; and that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands. ..."

- Seriously, is it not better for a husband to know that his wife is his and only his, and not for others in the public to eat with their eyes.

Some people might ask... how in the world is someone suppost to meet a girl and so on? well you meet their dad first. hehe. But its not as tribal as trading a goat for daddy's girl. On the contrary, the guy interested asks the dad, if the man is good, the dad has no right really to refuse. His family comes over, everyone talks gets to know each other, and if everything goes according, well they'll get engaged, and shortly thereafter married.

-For some non- muslims, they are totally convinced that the scarf is oppresive, but its not suppost to be. In any part of the world if Islam is being used to inflict war, oppression or any other form of inhumaity is NOT islam, because Islam essentially means peace.
- For those who see that the scarf has many disadvantages rather that advantages, i find it odd, because as someone who wears the scarf, I know that the good definately outweighs the bad.

gerhard

HSC
last_chance said:
- There's no denying that guys check out girls. By wearing the headscarf, the female agrees to dress modestly. By dressing this way, the female is less likely to attract attention.
This is why alot of westerners have a problem with the hijab.

You simply accept that a practice such as men treating women as sexual objects is unavoidable; a natural occurence that can't be stopped. Because this is 'normal' and men cant change(apparently), it is the women who must adopt a hijab. The woman is adopted a submissive response, changing something to do with herself, instead of a dominant response, (taken by a feminist say(for want of a better term)) which would be to denounce such actions, and stress that a man should treat a woman and man equally, not that men treating women like sexual objects somehow 'cant be helped'.

- In a way it is actually helping the male too.
If your inferring that this is helping men because they cannot help treating women as sexual objects then I find this comment somewhat offensive.

K

katie_tully

I just don't comprehend how wearing a sheet of material over your head is going to stop there being sexual tension. Honestly, I'm going to try it for a day. Today is the day. I am going to wear a head scarf.

I'll let you know the results of my exploits!

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
gerhard said:
If your inferring that this is helping men because they cannot help treating women as sexual objects then I find this comment somewhat offensive.
no, this may be more aimed at muslim men preventing themselves sinning.

i can remove my gaze from women wearing hijab and not wearing it alike, but i think that you shouldnt be that offended. after all, we learn from history, and when you hear about larrikins, and look around, you find that they are here in abundance, only to a reduced extent.

katie_tully said:
I just don't comprehend how wearing a sheet of material over your head is going to stop there being sexual tension. Honestly, I'm going to try it for a day. Today is the day. I am going to wear a head scarf.

I'll let you know the results of my exploits!
please do! im sure you will find less eyes on you, or if they are more, it wont be due to sexual desire. it may more be because they have seen you before and are wondering when you became muslim ;)

but do you know how to wear it properly? because it is pointless to wear it like many muslims, where they cover half their hair only, because that defeats its purpose. and also i think tight jeans wouldnt help the reduction of sexual tension.

Last edited:

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
not all muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are muslims

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Question: If the hijab is so awesome, liberating and useful to females, how come no secularists wear it?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
withoutaface said:
Question: If the hijab is so awesome, liberating and useful to females, how come no secularists wear it?
because they are not muslim...they dont fear Allah..they dont have a real need to fulfil this action...
i suggest you all get over hejab
u know its been said many times but christians wore hejab back in the days..so did jews...so do cultures around the world
if not hejab..then a material around their head..

hejab is not a problem unless we make it one...so have some chi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)