• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muslim People in Australia (1 Viewer)

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Or alternatively, don't wear the fucking hijab at all!

And you should realise, all this bullshit about not attracting attention to yourself by wearing a hijab, you are actually drawing peoples attention to yourself by wearing it.
how about you calm the fuck down?
and get the fuck over it?
and mind your own fucking buisness?
and get the fuck out of this thread you fucking troll?
faar out

K

katie_tully

I personally get somewhat put off by comments like that. It insinuates that Western girls have no respect for their body by wearing "revealing" clothes, and that any unwanted sexual advances (such as rape) are our fault.

get_born

Everyone has the right to chose what they want to wear. More than half my generation dont wear the scarf, some of my friends dont wear the scarf, and alot of other people i know dont wear it either. Some of them wear shorts, singlets or whatever out. Basically the point im trying to make is that i dont think any less of them and they dont think any less of me. People who judge others have no right because they should treat others the way they would want to be treated...a lesson learned by everyone from the moment their born. In all my life ive never seen Islam criticized as much as on these forums. Seriously there are so many threads with the word Islam in it. Everyone should either just talk without any prejudice and making others feel any less. In my opinion girls wearing and not wearing the scarf cop it equally. Girls in the scarf are sometimes made to feel as though they are under constane surveillance, and those without the headscarf are made to feel as though Katie_tully explained. Both sides should calm down and not make anyone feel bad, in the end we're all people, with different beliefs, and anyone of us can feel hurt.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Everyone has the right to chose what they want to wear. More than half my generation dont wear the scarf, some of my friends dont wear the scarf, and alot of other people i know dont wear it either. Some of them wear shorts, singlets or whatever out. Basically the point im trying to make is that i dont think any less of them and they dont think any less of me. People who judge others have no right because they should treat others the way they would want to be treated...a lesson learned by everyone from the moment their born. In all my life ive never seen Islam criticized as much as on these forums. Seriously there are so many threads with the word Islam in it. Everyone should either just talk without any prejudice and making others feel any less. In my opinion girls wearing and not wearing the scarf cop it equally. Girls in the scarf are sometimes made to feel as though they are under constane surveillance, and those without the headscarf are made to feel as though Katie_tully explained. Both sides should calm down and not make anyone feel bad, in the end we're all people, with different beliefs, and anyone of us can feel hurt.
Yea we should all just ignore what's going on with other people and lead our own lives, right?

get_born

Not-That-Bright said:
Yea we should all just ignore what's going on with other people and lead our own lives, right?
who said anything about ignoring other people and leading your own life?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Thes stupidity of people who wear a hijab. Fuck, people are really fucked up.
It's amazing how some people who wear the Hijab are smart enough to become surgeons, Lawers, Doctors...etc. What u wear does not represent ur intelligence, But i thought anyone with even a below average intelligence would be able to realise that!

On the contrary, people who Don't wear the Hijab, are also smart enough to become surgeons, Lawers, Doctors...etc.

Damage Inc. said:
You degrade and insult them for not wearing a hijab.
But don't u do the same, because they wear the Hijab? As clearly seen in ur rather irrational, and baseless statement above!

katie_tully said:
and that any unwanted sexual advances (such as rape) are our fault.
The victim will always be the person who was raped, and the rapist will always be the criminal/psycho. People who state otherwise, need urgent help!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
But don't u do the same, because they wear the Hijab? As clearly seen in ur rather irrational, and baseless statement above!
The rationale given for the need to dress modestly, in the qur'an is that men and women should not be seen as sex objects. The view is therefore that because western women do not dress modestly, they are making themselves into a sex object.

Do you agree with this?

get_born

Not-That-Bright said:
The rationale given for the need to dress modestly, in the qur'an is that men and women should not be seen as sex objects. The view is therefore that because western women do not dress modestly, they are making themselves into a sex object.

Do you agree with this?
Let me explain what i know and learnt. Everone knows the story of Adam nd Eve right? Basically man and a woman were told not to eat from the apple tree. Then one day satan whispered in their ears and they eventually forgot and endded up eating from it. They gave into their desires, and they eventually noticed parts they werent aware of before and they began pulling off leaves from the trees and covering those parts. These feelings are still in us today. Now I dont see anything bad about that, its human nature, its not like we made them - we were created with them. However by covering up it hides the shape that attracts such attention. Now I dont see anyinthing bad in that, and neither should you. Now the mention of 'western women' in the sentence is sort of contradictory isnt it, since im scarfed and live in the west. One can also not be scarfed and dress modestly- its just different to go out dressed like your from Paramatta road, because people that go out dressed like that have the intention of impressing or 'picking up' - and i would know cos i used to have frends like that. Adding to that, there are some girls who wear the scarf and are out there doing things someone without the scarf wouldnt do. In the end it comes down to the person and the person as an individual. For all i know non-scarfed girls could be better than me - God knows - thats why i stick to my theory that no one should judge anyone - God is the one who will judge us all in the end.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:

Do you agree with this?
No!

What I don't understand, is how someone can 'make themelves into a sex object'!

Wat is a sex object? regardless of how u dress, U cant claim that one who doesn't dress modestly is a sex object, they are still human, and should be treated as such, U don't become an object, due to the way u dress!

The Quran says what means:

*{Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and be modest. That is purer for them. Lo! Allah is Aware of what they do. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands fathers, or their sons or their husbands’ sons, or their brothers or their brothers’ sons or sisters sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigor, or children who know naught of women’s nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed.}* (An-Nur 24: 30–31)

No where, does it say or imply that a women is a 'sex object' if she doesnt wear the Hijab or dress modestly.

If a women who doesnt dress modestly was seen as a 'sex object' In Islam why would the Quran say what means: "Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and be modest"? regardless of how a women is dressed?

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
katie_tully said:
I'm not doing that again. How farkin hot was it. 34 degrees and I'm wearing a black piece of cloth over my head.

Anyway, as you said I don't fear Allah...so in hindsight it was a pointless exercise that merely overheated me and got me a few queer looks.
lmao, i thought you would have known that black absorbs the most heat!! it was a pointless exercise? i dont know about that. did you find that less people looked at you with desire-pushed eyes? if it was yes, then you might say that you reached a fine conclusion, although i guess you would have to consider where you went, and how many people saw you.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, you're a wanker.
yeah, everyone is like you huh. so can you take your hand out of your pants and be a little more helpful to the discussion? i could be posting something alot more constructive to someone who wants to listen to other peoples ideas.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
physician said:
No!

Wat is a sex object? regardless of how u dress, U cant claim that one who doesn't dress modestly is a sex object, they are still human, and should be treated as such, U don't become an object, due to the way u dress!

*{Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and be modest. That is purer for them. Lo! Allah is Aware of what they do. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands fathers, or their sons or their husbands’ sons, or their brothers or their brothers’ sons or sisters sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigor, or children who know naught of women’s nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed.}* (An-Nur 24: 30–31)

No where, does it say or imply that a women is a 'sex object' if she doesnt wear the Hijab or dress modestly.

If a women who doesnt dress modestly was seen as a 'sex object' In Islam why would the Quran say what means: "Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and be modest"? regardless of how a women is dressed?
Then why else should they dress modestly?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
veterandoggy said:
lmao, i thought you would have known that black absorbs the most heat!! it was a pointless exercise? i dont know about that. did you find that less people looked at you with desire-pushed eyes? if it was yes, then you might say that you reached a fine conclusion, although i guess you would have to consider where you went, and how many people saw you.
I'd rather "desire pushed" eyes than "you're a weird fuck" eyes.

Collin

HSC
N/A
As if Iraq doesn't have anything to do with it. If you investigate the roots of these issues, the pain of many Muslims comes from the concept of occupation. They don't want foreign entities to drill into matters which they regard as theirs and theirs alone.. and one of the bluntly obvious corollary of this point is the problem of physical occupation by foreign military forces, e.g Iraq. Sorry Tully, I wholeheartedly disagree with you here.

googooloo

HSC
JKDDragon said:
As if Iraq doesn't have anything to do with it. If you investigate the roots of these issues, the pain of many Muslims comes from the concept of occupation. They don't want foreign entities to drill into matters which they regard as theirs and theirs alone.. and one of the bluntly obvious corollary of this point is the problem of physical occupation by foreign military forces, e.g Iraq. Sorry Tully, I wholeheartedly disagree with you here.

And i am sure australians would feel the same, and any one else would feel the same in any other country about a force unexpecidly occupying ones country, and with no sign of them leaving. It would just be like someone you don't like and find annoying constantly invading your private space, and no matter what you do you cannot get away from them, no matter how far you run.

googooloo

HSC
physician said:
No!

It is more than just lowering a gaze. You cannot just take this one verse from one surah and say that is the whole religion, or a religions entire premisis for the hijab and modesty of males and females. There is more to it then meets the eye. To non-muslims it may seem complicated, but when you become muslim (if you convert) or are muslim you see the word through different eyes, clearer eyes, and everything in islam is really so simple. God would not create a way of life difficult ot follow, becuase then we would not be able to follow it. The temptations not to sometimes seem easier then to follow the religious way of life muslims lead, as islam is a way of life not just I believe in god and that's it.

With islam if you believe then every action done by a person, even getting up in the morning, bathing, brushing ones teeth, having sex even, becuase a form of worship to god. To acknowledge god in every circumstance, in every moment is islam, this is why women and men would be so willing to cover themselves as allah (SWT) commands of his followers. (of course not all muslims do, not all muslims are good. They still have thier own internal jihad--meaning struggle--to go through before they do all commandments of allah (SWT))

googooloo

HSC
withoutaface said:
I'd rather "desire pushed" eyes than "you're a weird fuck" eyes.
Are you so sure about that? You'd prefer to be taken advantage of then looked at slightly oddly. But you would have odd looks when no one understands your ways, especially if no one asks and only fears you as the media says, and their fear is perpetuated by their own inability to seek knowledge of the truth. Talking from experience. The occasional "weid" look is better than the constant "Deire pushed eyes", constantly fearing some gross old man is gonna come up and group you.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
googooloo said:
Are you so sure about that? You'd prefer to be taken advantage of then looked at slightly oddly. But you would have odd looks when no one understands your ways, especially if no one asks and only fears you as the media says, and their fear is perpetuated by their own inability to seek knowledge of the truth. Talking from experience. The occasional "weid" look is better than the constant "Deire pushed eyes", constantly fearing some gross old man is gonna come up and group you.
I would have absolutely no problem with a woman (or even a guy) on the street finding me sexually attractive or even fantasising about me, and honestly what are the chances of some random guy coming up and groping you? I know noone who that has happened to, so I think you're being a tad unrealistic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)