Now tell me this isn't evil. (1 Viewer)

miegoreng

HSC
Depends whether you believe in Limbo or not. Although the Vatican officially abandonned that doctrine in 2006 I think it was.
Seeing as the Vatican is regarded as conservative by most people, I think very few people would believe in Limbo now.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Seeing as the Vatican is regarded as conservative by most people, I think very few people would believe in Limbo now.
Conservative by external, secular standards. Within the Church community, the Vatican more often than not holds the middle ground between the reformists and the orthodox.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The Church is the ultimate conservative institution. Essentially unchanged for 2000 years and counting baby, we bow to no fickle, popular movements or changing winds. We are a rock that stands uncompromisingly for the three transcendents- the true, the good and the beauitiful!

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
the word of god cannot change to suit contemporary interests

"hello guys i'd like to join your club. please tailor the rules to suit me, then i will join"

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Some food for thought for those opposed ot abortion:

Pharyngula said:
If someone attacks your wife, does she have a right to kill him? In most places, it would even be justifiable for you to kill him.

Abortion is justifiable because a woman and her doctor have decided that her health and/or well-being are put in danger if she continues the pregnancy. It's called self-defense.

The fact that a fetus is not legally a person in many places is immaterial.

But, what PZ is trying to express (I think), is this:
Skin cells are human cells. They possess human DNA. They are alive; they are living. They are not a human being.

Liver cells are human cells. They possess human DNA. They are alive; they are living. They are not a human being.

Stem cells are human cells. They possess human DNA. They are alive; they are living. They are not a human being.

Spermatozoa are human cells. They possess human DNA. They are alive; they are living. They are not a human being.

Zygotes are human cells. They possess human DNA. They are alive; they are living. They are not a human being.

Human beings, like jellyfish and green-blue algae, are colonies. No single cell of ours is a human being or ever could be. Why? Because human beings are colonies with specific expected finished characteristics.

An embryo is made of human cells. It posesses human DNA. It is alive; it is living. It is even a colony. But it is not a fully differentiated colony. It is still developing. It is not a human being, but it may develop into one. Because it is developing, and because it is wholly dependent on the woman who must carry it, and because it has the capacity to do great and irreparable harm to that woman, she has the right to choose not to carry it. She may choose, at any point in her carrying, to revoke the embryo's permit to inhabit her body.

Why? Because a woman has human cells. A woman possesses human DNA. She is alive; she is living. She is a full colony. A woman is a human being. She is recognized under the law as owning her own body. And that woman is more important than any potential children she may have. Once those children have been born, they become equally important; but they are never, NEVER more important than she is.

HSC
the catholic church would be more angry if the stepfather had used a condom

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
All apart from the emboldened part is irrelevant. When one gets an abortion one decides that, for whatever reason, it is not convinient to have this baby. A position that is always selfish.
Welcome to humanity. We are a selfish species. If contraception fails (through no fault of the user), and a girl is simply in a sexual relationship with her boyfriend (like the majority of the population) and also happens to be a good track in life- 19, started university, planning to travel, why should she have to suddenly raise a baby?

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
The Church is the ultimate conservative institution. Essentially unchanged for 2000 years and counting baby, we bow to no fickle, popular movements or changing winds. We are a rock that stands uncompromisingly for the three transcendents- the true, the good and the beauitiful!
Not really man. Jesus was an advanced moralist, social liberator and fairly democratic by his society's standards. So follows the New Testament :)

Christian's so lovingly forget that the reason they aren't Jewish is because of change (so embrace change now!)

Last edited:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Hey, guess what was in the Herald today?!

Pope denounces condom use in visit to AIDS-hit Africa | smh.com.au

In June 2005, the pope told southern African bishops visiting the Vatican: "The traditional teaching of the Church has proven to be the only failsafe way to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS."
It's one thing to have crazy beliefs. It's entirely another quote pseudo-science as proof, whilst ignoring the findings of the wider scientific community.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Not really man. Jesus was an advanced moralist, social liberator and fairly democratic by his society's standards. So follows the New Testament :)

Christian's so lovingly forget that the reason they aren't Jewish is because of change (so embrace change now!)
WHAT!?
I didnt even claim any continuity with Judaism, but your characterization of 'change' is a false one. Christ was fulfilling the OT and the only reason we are Christians is because we believe that he did, see

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
WHAT!?
I didnt even claim any continuity with Judaism, but your characterization of 'change' is a false one. Christ was fulfilling the OT and the only reason we are Christians is because we believe that he did, see
Bah!
Christ was a rebel, acting out against the Jewish establishment and their theological dictatorship back up by the military power of the Romans. He was preaching humanism and collectivism, in an obvious slight to the divisive, arrogant and exclusive rabbinical order, the same order which 30 years after his death tried to wage herem upon the Romans due to their spiritual conceitedness and arrogance and their inability to live peacefully with the inferior polytheists.
Why do you think that there is a significant percentage of educated Buddhists who believe Jesus was a reincarnate of the Buddha?

Source: The Anti-Christ, Friedrich Neitzsche

miegoreng

HSC
Conservative by external, secular standards. Within the Church community, the Vatican more often than not holds the middle ground between the reformists and the orthodox.
Na, I go to church every week because I have to and know that most faithful Catholics support gays/condom use and disbelief many of the teachings such as transubstantiation, which i wont explain now, but basically Vatican is conservative not just by external secular standards

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Na, I go to church every week because I have to and know that most faithful Catholics support gays/condom use and disbelief many of the teachings such as transubstantiation, which i wont explain now, but basically Vatican is conservative not just by external secular standards
So? Your curious anecdote and limited observations do not provide damning evidence against my statement. That could just be limited to your church.

miegoreng

HSC
The church is made up of people so naturally it will eventually bow to most popular movements. Ages ago, it supported many crusades because it was a comparatively violent time, and you wouldn't see that happen now. There's also the examples of the witches, slavery, and the oppression against heretics such as Galileo who believed the earth went around the sun. All it has to do is reinterpret the bible and just ignore all the opposing bible passages.

I'm sure the church will one day, in the distant future, allow abortion. But firstly im sure it will allow gays in less than a few decades

miegoreng

HSC
So? Your curious anecdote and limited observations do not provide damning evidence against my statement. That could just be limited to your church.
Of course it's limited but I'm pretty sure I have a better idea of Catholic culture than you. In fact I'd probably be arrogant enough to think I'm about in the top 1% in terms of participation in things related to Catholicism. I go to youth group, read at church, been to catholic school for about 13 years, read the bible a lot in my younger years etc. Of course I could be lying, but we must all have some degree of trust for the sake of convenience. I assume my church isn't out of the ordinary and I've been to a few. To find damning evidence would take a while, and I'm only going on BoS lightly now, and trying not fall into the trap of getting addicted to it again.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
When I said it might not be limited to your church, I also meant it in an international sense.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Bah!
Christ was a rebel, acting out against the Jewish establishment and their theological dictatorship back up by the military power of the Romans. He was preaching humanism and collectivism, in an obvious slight to the divisive, arrogant and exclusive rabbinical order, the same order which 30 years after his death tried to wage herem upon the Romans due to their spiritual conceitedness and arrogance and their inability to live peacefully with the inferior polytheists.
Why do you think that there is a significant percentage of educated Buddhists who believe Jesus was a reincarnate of the Buddha?

Source: The Anti-Christ, Friedrich Neitzsche
He only claimed that the Jewishivists had strayed from the true path revealed to them. He offered clarification
AND REDEMPTION!
Fuck off he was preaching 'humanism and collectivism'. What a revolting simplification.

Also, when talking about the vibes of theology, youll have to do better than quoting ssssssssssSATAN HIMSELF

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Knew you'd find fault with my source. Excuse me if I try to avoid quoting the mindless hordes of Christian theological apologists.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Haha
Sure, Nietzche wasnt mindless. He was perfectly SANE...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)