• I couldn't give a toss about them or an apology

Votes: 33 22.6%

• Total voters

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Re: Did you support Rudd's apology?

ConjOB said:
Id like to see anyone on here without the anomity of a forum speak to an aboriginal and tell them their opinions of them.
Stop stereotyping aboriginals as violent thugs who solve their problems through violence.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
Re: Rudd to say Sorry on February 12

katie_tully said:
Goes thru my ear?
You're the fucking idiot who has just said Howard didn't care about Aboriginals for his entire 11 year stint, yet in the same breath you expected him to attend the ceremony to show respect. What the fuck have you got between your ears?

A shitload of Libs probably supported the apology, hence their attendance. A shit load of Libs also didn't support the apology, hence their absence. Just because Howard was once Liberal leader and didn't support the apology does not mean all Libs don't support the apology.
"Goes thru my ear?"
"You're the fucking idiot"
Ahh i found the sweet irony.
Yeah, why not? Now could be his time, obviously not. HE IS DISRESPECTFUL
AND SHOULD HAVE SHOWN RESPECT, by attending. He did not even have to say a word like the ex-PMs just standing there would have been the least cowardly and more respectful thing to do then hide in his little hole.
His a coward.

Yes i guess so about the Libs.

K

katie_tully

Zrap said:
"Goes thru my ear?"
AND SHOULD HAVE SHOWN RESPECT, by attending. He did not even have to say a word like the ex-PMs just standing there would have been the least cowardly and more respectful thing to do then hide in his little hole.
His a coward.

You are the dumbest motherfucker circulating these forums, and that is no easy feat.

But, Law and Order SVU is on so my attention is needed elsewhere.

Zephyrio

HSC

Zrap said:
"Goes thru my ear?"
His a coward.

Why on earth would I attend a Nazi rally if I was Communist?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Leaders push for 'sorry' compensation

_dhj_ said:
It's not about the current government and people being responsible for what happened. It's about upholding the ideal of compensation for victims of injustice, particularly where that injustice was aggravated by the fact that it was inflicted by the state. It's shouldn't be about "us" against "them", how "we" (Anglo-Saxons) shouldn't compensate to "them" (Aborigines), but about how a society treats victims.

Another example. Would it not be right for a government to set up a relief fund (at the expense of taxpayers) for the victims of a natural disaster notwithstanding the fact that the taxpayers were not responsible for the natural disaster?
Is it not the fault of those involved in the disaster for not being adequately ensured? It just acts as a disincentive to insure your home in the first place.

Zephyrio

HSC

Zrap said:
EXTREMIST
YEAH TOTES LYK IM GNA ATTEND A POLITIKAL RALLI OF A PARTEE OF TOTEZ OPPOSITE POSITION ON THE POLITICAL SPEKTRUM1!@!@1211!

Evan11

HSC

Originally Posted by _dhj_
It's not about the current government and people being responsible for what happened. It's about upholding the ideal of compensation for victims of injustice, particularly where that injustice was aggravated by the fact that it was inflicted by the state. It's shouldn't be about "us" against "them", how "we" (Anglo-Saxons) shouldn't compensate to "them" (Aborigines), but about how a society treats victims.

Another example. Would it not be right for a government to set up a relief fund (at the expense of taxpayers) for the victims of a natural disaster notwithstanding the fact that the taxpayers were not responsible for the natural disaster?

The difference is that natural disaster victims are not DEMANDING compensation and are not BLAMING the governments who give them money.

Zrap

glock9
HSC

katie_tully said:
You are the dumbest motherfucker circulating these forums, and that is no easy feat.

But, Law and Order SVU is on so my attention is needed elsewhere.
Run away.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Zephyrio said:
Why on earth would I attend a Nazi rally if I was Communist?
Because Communists and Nazis share a common goal?

Zephyrio

HSC

withoutaface said:
Because Communists and Nazis share a common goal?
Oh my god, I can see where this is going. Yes, I suppose Commz and Nazis share a common goal, but the means by which to achieve this differed immensely. ANYWAY, the comparison was just for a black vs white emphasis, between Howard who rejected the idea of apologising and the parliament sitting which obviously agreed.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Zephyrio said:
Oh my god, I can see where this is going. Yes, I suppose Commz and Nazis share a common goal, but the means by which to achieve this differed immensely.
Yeah, Stalin used guns, Hitler used gas chambers.

Big difference.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A

Generally speaking, the victim of a particular category of crime will follow avenues to obtain compensation from the NSW Victim Services as provided by the AG Department.

This compensation is dependant upon various pieces of evidence and generally requires some form of health impact, whether it be of a physical or mental nature depending on the circumstances.

Additional provisions to this include that the injury must be a 'compensable injury' as conveyed by the Shedule of Injuries on the victims services website, must have occurred within the last 2 years and will usually result in some form of financial cost born on the victim.

Additionally, the department may intiate legal proceedings against the offender to obtain restitution for the compensation costs which are funded by NSW Treasury.

Now what is my point I hear you ask?

Victims of crime have a long arduous process to obtain compensation, and in most instances there is a direct defendant in relation to whom the government can obtain restitution. There are strict guidelines on the acquisiton of compensation in these circumstances, and although the government funds the scheme in part, the offender is not a fixture of years gone by.

With a rudimentary understanding, I thought that in order to obtain some form of 'remedy' there must be an entity to which responsibility is attributable? I would be quite happy to be corrected on that count though.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC

incentivation:

What you've mentioned seems to me to be accurate.

The criminal justice system does not focus on securing restitution for victims. The victim can still initiate civil proceedings against the offender. In practice it's only worthwhile for the victim to do so if the offender has the financial means to pay for restitution.

gazzalite751

HSC

...Back to the point: =P

In my opinion, the stolen generation should just shut up and live with it. I mean seriously, most of the "stolen generation" is getting old anyway and are going to be part of our seniors age group either now or soon. What are they going to do with a couple thousand dollars >.<"

And that raises the question, they have completely ignored the fact that the Australian Government is compensating by trying to provide better welfare support for the CURRENT generation x_X. That brings in the question whether or not the stolen generation is really looking out for themselves, or their future Aborigine generations >.<" (which in my opinion they aren't)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

They both sought to nationalise industry, they both murdered countless innocents for political dissent, they both had incredibly expansionist foreign policy, they both drew power from resentment of the upper class, etc. They're not interchangable, but to my mind they're very closely linked.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

'Sorry' compo claims start flooding in

UP to 40 indigenous Australians are preparing compensation claims against the Victorian Government following this week's official apology to the Stolen Generations.

Victorian man Neville Austin, 44, is planning to launch Victoria's first Stolen Generation claim.

His solicitors have briefed barrister Jack Rush QC, who was part of the legal team that won a $4 billion payout from James Hardie Industries for former workers exposed to lethal doses of asbestos.

But the head of Stolen Generations Victoria and Mr Austin's cousin, Lyn Austin, said while she could not comment on Mr Austin's case, dozens more were preparing similar claims.

"I cannot make comment on that case at all, but ... I do know that there are another 30 or 40 that are going to be doing a civil action claim," she said on ABC Radio in Melbourne.

"They have a right to pursue a claim if they wish, they were removed through the policies that were upon them.

"It should be left for the courts and people to have that choice and make a choice of whether they take a civil claim individually or class action."

Mr Austin's writ is yet to be filed and does not nominate a payout figure, but claimants in other states have won between $350,000 and $500,000.

Fellow Victorian Bruce Trevorrow won $775,000 when a South Australian court ruled his removal from his family caused long-term depression.

State fund

Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency chief executive Muriel Bamblett said a state compensation fund would address concerns that urban Aborigines' plight was being overlooked.

"There is a real concern in Victoria we are not viewed as Aboriginal or part of the stolen generation process," she said. "A fund would generate a lot of goodwill."

Stolen Generations Alliance spokeswoman Karen Mundine said state-based compensation remained an option: "It's up to the states to decide."

Position remains

Aboriginal Affairs minister Richard Wynne said the Victorian Parliament had already apologised to the stolen generations.

"No compensation has flowed from this," spokesman Ben Ruse said.

"We support the national apology but our position on compensation has not changed."

WA will set up a fund for those abused in state care, including stolen generations members.

Queensland and NSW have rejected the idea; Tasmania has set aside $5 million for surviving stolen generations members and the children of those who have died.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23216951-2,00.html

Boo.

Gay Captain

HSC

Schroedinger said:
They both followed a very similar pattern to gain ground. Woo :)
HoWARd followed a similar pattern to the fascists!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)