Orientation (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Were you the one that said everyone has GLPs now?
Yes lol, that fucking program is useless, its like the Golden Key Society, no employer actually looks at it and goes "oh wow this guy has done GLP and this person hasn't! I'll pick this guy!" because a) they don't know what the fuck it is, b) 80% of people have it already and it really doesn't translate to anything, you're not a better speaker, a better 'person' or anything altruistic like that, its a fucking joke.

/rant

Haha, hope you had a good day nonetheless, but yeah it irks me, cos we had a few people doing mentoring as part of the GLP program and they are so apathetic and shit, and part of the reason why the mentor thing has been restructured.

thommy

HSC
N/A
How long does it go, and what is the format? Everything about it seems so vague. And what are we getting for breakfast?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
How long does it go, and what is the format? Everything about it seems so vague. And what are we getting for breakfast?
It goes for 213.584022 minutes, but with rain there may be a slight discrepancy of ~+/- 0.00004232111.

The format is of a highly British Upper Oxfordian Legal Entity, with a smattering of Harvard Basketweaving Social Practice and Ethics.

No idea on breakfast.

jiey2k

JEAHHH BOIIIII
HSC
it was good, i met people that do my course and ye, im lucky i had a good mentor (madds) or sumthing she seemed nice and knew what she was doing.

I ahve to admit the breakfast part of the orientation day was a bit confusing with so many people haha

Kiim2507

HSC
Yeah I went today to.
It was pretty fun.
Oooomg I know what you mean about the breakfast. I was soo lost and confused and I couldn't find my mentor but I asked someone and they helped me lol.
I had Linda as my mentor..she was pretty nice and funny.

^^ What was your pirate team name?
We were the scurvy dog? Haha

thommy

HSC
N/A
Wha a waste of time. No one in my group was doing my course. Was "Shannon" gay, and what country is he?

jiey2k

JEAHHH BOIIIII
HSC
he seemed like he was from canada/america?? not sure

and damm shoulda somehow moved group haha

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah I went today to.
It was pretty fun.
Oooomg I know what you mean about the breakfast. I was soo lost and confused and I couldn't find my mentor but I asked someone and they helped me lol.
I had Linda as my mentor..she was pretty nice and funny.

^^ What was your pirate team name?
We were the scurvy dog? Haha
it was good, i met people that do my course and ye, im lucky i had a good mentor (madds) or sumthing she seemed nice and knew what she was doing.

I ahve to admit the breakfast part of the orientation day was a bit confusing with so many people haha
And thanks for turning up guys, the breakfast was pretty awful, we planned it with 40 odd degrees of weather and were hoping that it'd be at least close to 30 rather than wet and sub-20 but at least people were forced to talk to each other!

I'm glad you enjoyed the pirate-theme, they put a lot of work into planning it, and we've gotten a lot of positive feedback about the day so it was rewarding to hear that :)

Wha a waste of time. No one in my group was doing my course. Was "Shannon" gay, and what country is he?
What course were you doing? If you were so unhappy, you should've raised your concerns rather than bitching about it after the event, we would've tried to find people doing your degree. Also doesn't stop you making friends with people from other degrees, you'll probably see them around so *shrugs* guess we can't please everyone.

thommy

HSC
N/A
And thanks for turning up guys, the breakfast was pretty awful, we planned it with 40 odd degrees of weather and were hoping that it'd be at least close to 30 rather than wet and sub-20 but at least people were forced to talk to each other!

I'm glad you enjoyed the pirate-theme, they put a lot of work into planning it, and we've gotten a lot of positive feedback about the day so it was rewarding to hear that :)

What course were you doing? If you were so unhappy, you should've raised your concerns rather than bitching about it after the event, we would've tried to find people doing your degree. Also doesn't stop you making friends with people from other degrees, you'll probably see them around so *shrugs* guess we can't please everyone.
I don't mean to bitch, I was just a little frustrated. What's the point of talking to someone if they aren't doing your subjects?

I appreciate the emntor's time and effirt, I just personally didn't get anything out of it.

Kiim2507

HSC
Yeah not that many people in my group were doing media (there was like 2 or 3 guys but I didn't really speak to them) but it didn't matter. Got to know a few people doing Arts and International Communication and hopefully I'll see them around campus soon.

Yeah the pirate theme was good...kept it interesting

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I don't mean to bitch, I was just a little frustrated. What's the point of talking to someone if they aren't doing your subjects?

I appreciate the emntor's time and effirt, I just personally didn't get anything out of it.
Because unlike high school, you can actually can do a lot more than just turn up to classes, and meet people at social occassions or uni functions. Some of the people I hang around uni most are in completely different degrees or have never had classes with them.

Heck, even if you meet people in your degree, you could never see each other due to timetables. Again, if you'd raised the issue and asked one of the mentors to be put into another group, we'd have obliged and tried and found you a group with more people in your degree, we can't read your minds especially when there's 350+ odd people to take care of.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I don't really know what else we could've done to help you if you're not going to tell this to us, its not high school where we hold your hands, you're grown up and we treat you as adults able to make your own decisions and put forward your own opinions/questions etc. That's why we repeatedly stated that if you have any questions or issues, to ask a mentor or a mentor leader.

Last edited:

thommy

HSC
N/A
Because unlike high school, you can actually can do a lot more than just turn up to classes, and meet people at social occassions or uni functions. Some of the people I hang around uni most are in completely different degrees or have never had classes with them.

Heck, even if you meet people in your degree, you could never see each other due to timetables. Again, if you'd raised the issue and asked one of the mentors to be put into another group, we'd have obliged and tried and found you a group with more people in your degree, we can't read your minds especially when there's 350+ odd people to take care of.
Fair enough, but it was just really random how not one single person was doing was my course.

I'm not angry at the mentors. It seems as though you're angry at me. I was just a little intimidated, being that I had no friends there today. All my friends are doing Business-ish subjects.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Fair enough, but it was just really random how not one single person was doing was my course.

I'm not angry at the mentors. It seems as though you're angry at me. I was just a little intimidated, being that I had no friends there today. All my friends are doing Business-ish subjects.
Like I said, I don't mean to sound like a dick, and I apologise for that, but I'm more angry that someone came away with a bad experience because we do put a lot of effort and thought into making these days as enjoyable as possible and to hear something avoidable like that is frustrating :)

If you contact the transition program (transition@mq.edu.au) we might be able to get you in touch with some Media specific people during O-Week through some Mentor-events or something :)

And to not have anyone else from a Bachelor of Media IS kinda weird seeing as that's probably our most popular degree in your grouping.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)