Police Brutality - Disgusting and Unacceptable (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

Sydney Mardi Gras 2013 between 11- 11:30pm
Pavement just off Oxford St, Corner of Riley and Burton Street
Assaulting officer - FAIRFIELD LAC 266

Backstory:

I was a press photographer for the parade, walking along the backstreets shortly after it had concluded between 11pm and 11:30pm, we heard a man screaming for repeatedly for help.

Walking over we saw him being restrained by two police officers with another 4 in close proximity, he was repeatedly asking them "What have I done wrong?" which they would not respond, all they would say was "you are under arrest".

He calling for people walking past to help him and with a large crowd of people began to surround the event.

He was struggling and resisting but not aggressively.

The officers told him to stop resisting to which he would reply "why are you doing this I haven't done anything?." The officer "FAIRFIELD LAC 266" then grabbed him by the back of the neck and slammed his head into the stone pavement, as he tried to get up he was then punched multiple times in the head, leaving blood all over the pavement. The crowd of people overlooking screaming at the officer to stop.

After seeing that I began filming.

-------------

What I found most shocking about this event is that the other officers seem to be aware that the amount of force they are using was completely unmerited and excessive.
So they hastily try to force me to stop filming.

As a press photographer I knew I was completely within my rights to film police officers in a public space, doing nothing wrong and breaking no laws, so I refused.

You will notice I ask multiple times why I am not allowed to film and what laws am I breaking and receive no response.

There were at least 6 officers in the immediate vicinity, the victim was only small and could have easily been restrained by the officers without injury.
Instead they choice to force him into submission by repeatedly punching him and throwing him into the pavement.

You'll also hear him asking over and over what he has done wrong to which he doesn't get a response.
Absolutely disgusting behaviour.
The police will be lucky if they are allowed to march again next year.

planino

HSC
Horrible. They should have at least told him what he was being arrested for, and even then, the head slamming would have been uncalled for I'm sure.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
According to the NSW Police force:
The NSW Police Force is aware of footage on YouTube relating to an incident at the Sydney Mardi Gras on Saturday night. An investigation will be conducted into the full circumstances surrounding the incident. As soon as we can provide any further information or updates, we will certainly do so.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
That sound at ~1:00 made me cringe. Hope it wasn't his head hitting the concrete.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
According to the NSW Police force:
there is going to be hell to pay if nothing comes from this.

I was obviously against this behaviour too but this was a child and the offender in this case is an adult who should know better and a police officer who should know better.

That sound at ~1:00 made me cringe. Hope it wasn't his head hitting the concrete.
absolutely disgusting how one human being could do this too another
The police officer looked so enraged and then proud by what he had done.

If he had've killed the boy the police would not be allowed back in the parade for another 35 years.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
My chemistry teacher used to teach at that school and knew both kids. Apparently the big kid who was portrayed as the "victim" was actually the biggest bully in the whole school and the small kid was just fed up with him bullying everyone.

RishBonjour

HSC
Yeah, watched that video last night on facebook. You can tell that cop was obviously a homophobic. Slamming his head on the ground although he didn't pose a threat (he wasn't cooperating though), is fucking wrong.
I think that kids gonna be on channel 7 at 6?

Also, just on the news now, a police said that was a snippet of the whole scene taken out of context. Even with that, that is completely wrong, i doubt this will go unpunished though, all over youtube/fb and now news.

Last edited:

db94

HSC
you clearly dont know the full story. The cop didnt just pick some random guy and start abusing him. Am i saying this behaviour is right? No. But proper knowledge of the incident is needed before making comments on this. Apparently he'd been causing a bit of trouble during the mardi gra, such as laying on the middle of the road, which stopped an ambulance and despite being asked repeatedly to get up.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
you clearly dont know the full story. The cop didnt just pick some random guy and start abusing him. Am i saying this behaviour is right? No. But proper knowledge of the incident is needed before making comments on this. Apparently he'd been causing a bit of trouble during the mardi gra, such as laying on the middle of the road, which stopped an ambulance and despite being asked repeatedly to get up.
the kid was obviously drunk and disorderly.

That in no way gives the cop any right to do what he did.
Don't be stupid.

I was actually there on the day at the time and didn't see that at all.

And it doesn't give the cop any right so to me it doesn't matter what he was doing. He could've been snorting crack off the middle of the road, doesn't make any of the cops actions excusable or less awful.

Even you say this so what is the point of saying "oh but the circumstances" I'd you're just going to go back on that and say "his behaviour was wrong" regardless.

Gosh.

Martinacal

HSC
I actually know who the filmer was, and the girl screaming and crying in a pink wig. It is 100% legal to video police, and good on them for revealing the awful nature that policeman treated the man. It wouldnt matter whether this was Mardi Gras or not, its disgusting

Macqncheese

Banned
HSC
N/A
the kid was obviously drunk and disorderly.

That in no way gives the cop any right to do what he did.
Don't be stupid.

I was actually there on the day at the time and didn't see that at all.

And it doesn't give the cop any right so to me it doesn't matter what he was doing. He could've been snorting crack off the middle of the road, doesn't make any of the cops actions excusable or less awful.

Even you say this so what is the point of saying "oh but the circumstances" I'd you're just going to go back on that and say "his behaviour was wrong" regardless.

Gosh.
I heard he wasn't even that drunk?

Even so, I completely agree without. The majority of drunk people aren't abusive, hence no form of force should be needed. I have to say, I am ashamed to see our police force act this way.

Jimmy2064

HSC
I think the article posted is slightly exaggerated to be honest, I'm personally not making any judgement until the full story has been released by the police and I would advise many of you to do the same, rather than basing your opinions on assumption. Not taking away from the actual act however, I believe it was extremely poor and unnecessary conduct and he will be punished accordingly. We also have to remember police officers have a horrible job, risk their lives and get paid fairly badly (much like our army). I think some people take them for granted on the odd occasion.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I find it ignorant that because of one incident thats gone viral on youtube that ALL cops are corrupt and bash people.
Was he innocent? No, hes clearly on some sort of drug/s and resisting arrest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2J3FYhw7aY
he is only intoxicated and not super intoxicated at that.
It's probably exacerbated by shock since he is being physically attacked
Any normal person's reaction is to either fight back or run the fuck away. The police officer is just a complete dickhead.

And by the way the other cops are standing there not helping or trying to stop the filming of course everyone now thinks all cops are awful.

This is a clear display of the police force being absolutely shit at what they do, and people should view them as scum for this. It will give them a chance to reflect, punish, and improve.

I think the article posted is slightly exaggerated to be honest, I'm personally not making any judgement until the full story has been released by the police and I would advise many of you to do the same, rather than basing your opinions on assumption. Not taking away from the actual act however, I believe it was extremely poor and unnecessary conduct and he will be punished accordingly. We also have to remember police officers have a horrible job, risk their lives and get paid fairly badly (much like our army). I think some people take them for granted on the odd occasion.
THAT IS NOT A FUCKING EXCUSE.

Someone with a shit job that goes home and beats their wife and children use that as an excuse too.

It is not right at all.

You should feel ashamed for thinking it is an excuse.

What is wrong with you people?

And btw - nsw police are the highest paid in australia.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...i-gras-brutality/story-fnat79vb-1226591165655 heres some more footage. The kid obviously attacks the cops and is a threat
That does not excuse how the police officer acted.

It also does not excuse how he acts whilst the man is in handcuffs and with a lot of people around asking him to stop.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I was obviously against this behaviour too but this was a child and the offender in this case is an adult who should know better and a police officer who should know better.
wtf lol thats not why I posted it

D94

HSC
N/A
I find it ignorant that because of one incident thats gone viral on youtube that ALL cops are corrupt and bash people.
Was he innocent? No, hes clearly on some sort of drug/s and resisting arrest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2J3FYhw7aY
The police are an organisation. Not everyone is able to become a police officer. They go through the necessary training and vetting to get to where they are. This shows the type of person the police are willing to accept into their academy; it doesn't matter if it's just 1 person, that's 1 person too many. Of course people are now going to think the police are corrupt and bash people.

Mitigation is not exoneration. It doesn't matter if that guy assaulted police or anyone. If they are in policy custody, the police have the duty of care to protect that individual. Assault is assault, whether they are a cop or the Prime Minister or a gay/lesbian etc. There were superior officers around (such as that Leading Senior Constable), yet they did nothing - the appearance is that police are above the law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)