Police Brutality - Disgusting and Unacceptable (1 Viewer)

Anna Wintour

HSC
N/A
I find it ignorant that because of one incident thats gone viral on youtube that ALL cops are corrupt and bash people.
Was he innocent? No, hes clearly on some sort of drug/s and resisting arrest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2J3FYhw7aY
So what if he is, he was hardly fighting back. All he did was say he'd done nothing wrong. Its a street party in kings cross ffs. It's not the same as being off your face in a suburban shopping centre at 10am. They should have some leeway or common sense to just move on people in circumstances where they dont pose a threat to the police's safety.

The reason everyone says cops are corrupt and bash people is because every 3 months a story comes out like this.

The problem is the police are a para military organisation. Even if police see dodgy things hapening they're not likeley to report people who outrank them and blow the whistle.

They always stand behind one officer even if they've done nothing wrong, lie in court where its your word against theirs and as many judges have noted in cases involving police have a culture of denial.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Jesus Christ, this is not the first time the police has abused their power...

ADrew

HSC
Uni Grad
At least we don't live in the USA...police brutality much more common.

db94

HSC
The police are an organisation. Not everyone is able to become a police officer. They go through the necessary training and vetting to get to where they are. This shows the type of person the police are willing to accept into their academy; it doesn't matter if it's just 1 person, that's 1 person too many. Of course people are now going to think the police are corrupt and bash people.

Mitigation is not exoneration. It doesn't matter if that guy assaulted police or anyone. If they are in policy custody, the police have the duty of care to protect that individual. Assault is assault, whether they are a cop or the Prime Minister or a gay/lesbian etc. There were superior officers around (such as that Leading Senior Constable), yet they did nothing - the appearance is that police are above the law.
that statement is just dumb! there are always gonna be black sheep in a herd regardless of how well they are trained. Majority of people in the army (99%+) do the right thing, but theres always gonna be that odd person who does something wrong. Police are above the law! when will people realise this? You know how to deal with this? dont give them an excuse to arrest you or abuse you, simple! its not hard to be a decent citizen of society; the guy in the video was clearly on drugs and was acting like a dick. they don't attack those who are doing wrong. The guy in the video previously assaulted the officer, how did you expect them to react?

db94

HSC
So what if he is, he was hardly fighting back. All he did was say he'd done nothing wrong. Its a street party in kings cross ffs. It's not the same as being off your face in a suburban shopping centre at 10am. They should have some leeway or common sense to just move on people in circumstances where they dont pose a threat to the police's safety.

The reason everyone says cops are corrupt and bash people is because every 3 months a story comes out like this.

The problem is the police are a para military organisation. Even if police see dodgy things hapening they're not likeley to report people who outrank them and blow the whistle.

They always stand behind one officer even if they've done nothing wrong, lie in court where its your word against theirs and as many judges have noted in cases involving police have a culture of denial.
youre right its totally fine to take drugs and party on the street and assault officers. They did try to move him on, he didnt comply! every 3 months? i call bullshit, if this is true, thats not that bad compared to other countires in the world. be glad you aint in america

heres the problem with being a police officer these days: youre damned if you do, youre damned if you dont

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Where does it say in the news that he was taking drugs?? Most newspapers are taking the stance that it was abuse of power :p.

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
Although I dont think many people know the full context of what happened that night, that is still unacceptable behaviour from police. Im not sure that officer 266 is the only one committing a crime though, all the other cops are just hanging around and telling the guy to stop filming. Although they probably could have confiscated the camera on some national security BS haha.

But seriously, we have these cops, and then there are ones that I find are actually funny, like the waiting on a mate cop. The juxtaposition of the two cops elicits a sense of...

Oh lord I gotta stop studying English

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Jesus Christ, this is not the first time the police has abused their power...
which just goes to show that its a more widespread problem and thus emphasising why it needs to be addressed

Anna Wintour

HSC
N/A
youre right its totally fine to take drugs and party on the street and assault officers. They did try to move him on, he didnt comply! every 3 months? i call bullshit, if this is true, thats not that bad compared to other countires in the world. be glad you aint in america

heres the problem with being a police officer these days: youre damned if you do, youre damned if you dont
where did he assault the officer?

And taking drugs is a victimless crime, so is selling or buying them.

You are so stupid. If this can happen to him it will happen to you but by then there wont be anyone left to defend your rights either.

D94

HSC
N/A
that statement is just dumb! there are always gonna be black sheep in a herd regardless of how well they are trained. Majority of people in the army (99%+) do the right thing, but theres always gonna be that odd person who does something wrong. Police are above the law! when will people realise this? You know how to deal with this? dont give them an excuse to arrest you or abuse you, simple! its not hard to be a decent citizen of society; the guy in the video was clearly on drugs and was acting like a dick. they don't attack those who are doing wrong. The guy in the video previously assaulted the officer, how did you expect them to react?
Don't be stupid. The police are given weapons, drive at high speeds, invade your house, have the powers to arrest and take into police custody, etc., of course if they let in 1 person who is a psycho, that's 1 too many. Are you seriously going to say it's ok if a rogue cop assaulted you? Even if you assaulted him first, mitigation is not exoneration. Assault is assault, and it is especially heinous if it's in police custody, which it is in this case.

They need to act with professionalism. You need to remember that they joined the police force - they weren't conscripted or forced to join. Just because their job is stressful, it doesn't ever excuse assault. The primary role of the police is to protect the community, everything else is secondary. Please explain how they were protecting the man who was thrown to the ground, please explain how they were protecting our rights to film in a public place.

You're just making excuses for assault. No one will take you seriously.

db94

HSC
where did he assault the officer?

And taking drugs is a victimless crime, so is selling or buying them.

You are so stupid. If this can happen to him it will happen to you but by then there wont be anyone left to defend your rights either.
you have to watch another video which shows what happens before the main viral video... he clearly assaults the officers

'victimless crime', i dunno about that. the reason why he got fucked up was because he was off his chops on drugs, hows that victimless?

it wont happen to me, thats the funny thing. you know why? because ill never put myself in a situation where that can happen. He did the wrong thing, full stop. If he didnt assault the officers and didnt refuse to be arrested, im more than 100% confident this wouldnt have happened.

Jimmy2064

HSC
he is only intoxicated and not super intoxicated at that.
It's probably exacerbated by shock since he is being physically attacked
Any normal person's reaction is to either fight back or run the fuck away. The police officer is just a complete dickhead.

And by the way the other cops are standing there not helping or trying to stop the filming of course everyone now thinks all cops are awful.

This is a clear display of the police force being absolutely shit at what they do, and people should view them as scum for this. It will give them a chance to reflect, punish, and improve.

THAT IS NOT A FUCKING EXCUSE.

Someone with a shit job that goes home and beats their wife and children use that as an excuse too.

It is not right at all.

You should feel ashamed for thinking it is an excuse.

What is wrong with you people?

And btw - nsw police are the highest paid in australia.

Lol, calm down. I never stated that his reasoning for attacking the man was because his pay is below what it should be... How about you actually assess a comment intellectually before you flame on every comment that you personally don't agree with on this thread. Also, I don't feel ashamed whatsoever, I stand by my post and so far you have provided no legitimate reason as to why I shouldn't, other than some form of personal vendetta. I was also referring to police officers in general, you wouldn't even be able to comprehend the shit they put up with on a daily basis, and to get be getting substantially less than some retard truck driver in a mine earning double their salary is a disgrace.

You don't even know the full story, none of us do, so don't bother replying with some mindless assumption. Please and thankyou.

lpower3

HSC
I thought gay guys liked getting slammed?

db94

HSC
Don't be stupid. The police are given weapons, drive at high speeds, invade your house, have the powers to arrest and take into police custody, etc., of course if they let in 1 person who is a psycho, that's 1 too many. Are you seriously going to say it's ok if a rogue cop assaulted you? Even if you assaulted him first, mitigation is not exoneration. Assault is assault, and it is especially heinous if it's in police custody, which it is in this case.

They need to act with professionalism. You need to remember that they joined the police force - they weren't conscripted or forced to join. Just because their job is stressful, it doesn't ever excuse assault. The primary role of the police is to protect the community, everything else is secondary. Please explain how they were protecting the man who was thrown to the ground, please explain how they were protecting our rights to film in a public place.

You're just making excuses for assault. No one will take you seriously.
they were protecting other people due to his irrational and abuse behaviour displayed in other youtube videos. they cant protect everyone.

I must admit I dont think the abuse by the cop is justified. However I hate it when people always exaggerate incidences that involve police. There's always two sides to the story.

I think we should all wait until further information is released before making sweeping statements about this incidence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)